Rate the Managers

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What has Jack Ross done thats better than McInnes?

Ross has achieved similar in a much shorter time and has a better win ratio.

Robinson is arguable, but again, what's he achieved that McInnes hasn't? Slightly better results, sometimes, with a worse team over a shorter period?

Robinson has done far better with far less resources.

Lennon at Bolton/Hibs was no better than McInnes at Aberdeen. So you're basically saying McInnes should be downgraded because of his budget, yet Lennon should be higher despite having a bigger budget.

You are conflating two different things there, I was comparing McInnes to his peers outwith Lennon and Gerrard on the budget. There is no doubting Lennon and Gerrard should be judged differently. My reason for Lennon above McInnes is that Lennon, albeit he has all those benefits does seem to be able to change a game, whereas McInnes doesn't.

Edited by Ric

Just now, Ric said:

Ross has achieved similar in a much shorter time and has a better win ratio.

Ross has achieved 7 top 4 Premiership finishes in a row, 4 of them consecutive 2nd place finishes, and a League Cup win?

Jack Ross hasn't even managed a full season in the top flight yet FFS 😂

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Now hold on just one second....nope, not going to bite.

Thats what's next in the Red Ric routine.

Claim something moronic.

Get told you're wrong.

Double down.

Get told you're wrong again.

HAHA I WAS TROLLING.

Rinse and repeat daily.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Now hold on just one second....nope, not going to bite.

Both have won manager of the year. Both have won silverware; albeit at different levels. Ross has a better win ratio, both are managing a "sizeable" club.

No paring of managers could ever be compared like for like.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats what's next in the Red Ric routine.

Claim something moronic.

Get told you're wrong.

Double down.

Get told you're wrong again.

HAHA I WAS TROLLING.

Rinse and repeat daily.

:lol:

I've clearly riled you up so badly. Jinkies, dry your eyes and stop with the ad hominem attacks.

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Both have won manager of the year. Both have won silverware; albeit at different levels. Ross has a better win ratio, both are managing a "sizeable" club.

No paring of managers could ever be compared like for like.

Bot got offered the Sunderland job...think Mcinnes wins that one ;)

In all seriousness it's just too early to compare Ross to Mcinnes. He may well go onto far better things but Mcinnes has a lot more to his CV at this point in time, you've chosen a narrow criteria for saying their achievements are similar.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

768861242_notsurprisedkirk(1).jpg.aac33ad396f6bd35fd9fcc80b20ddf85.jpg

That's twice you tried to play the "you've been proven wrong, you will just claim you're trolling" in almost as many days, and twice you've called it wrongly.

I presume that meme reflects you realising that, rather than anything else.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Bot got offered the Sunderland job...think Mcinnes wins that one ;)

In all seriousness it's just too early to compare Ross to Mcinnes. He may well go onto far better things but Mcinnes has a lot more to his CV at this point in time, you've chosen a narrow criteria for saying their achievements are similar.

To be fair, yeah, the Sunderland job is a doozy of one to try and put into the mix. We could put in McInnes' stint at Bristol City too though.

I think you're right, it is too early to compare. For me though, I feel Ross makes more of what he has at his disposal, hence why I'd rate him higher. There will be some who tediously suggest there is a St Mirren leaning to that, it's not although there is no way for me to prove that. You've read what I feel about McInnes, I think he's peaked at this level and sadly for Aberdeen fans that level will always be below what you hope for the club.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's twice you tried to play the "you've been proven wrong, you will just claim you're trolling" in almost as many days, and twice you've called it wrongly.

I presume that meme reflects you realising that, rather than anything else.

M8, you've just claimed McInnes and Ross have achieved the same thing, despite McInnes doing it over a decade, while Jack Ross hasn't even be a top flight manager for a single full season yet.

Its better when you are pretending to troll tbh.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

To be fair, yeah, the Sunderland job is a doozy of one to try and put into the mix. We could put in McInnes' stint at Bristol City too though.

I think you're right, it is too early to compare. For me though, I feel Ross makes more of what he has at his disposal, hence why I'd rate him higher. There will be some who tediously suggest there is a St Mirren leaning to that, it's not although there is no way for me to prove that. You've read what I feel about McInnes, I think he's peaked at this level and sadly for Aberdeen fans that level will always be below what you hope for the club.

I'm not sure the St Mirren thing would be that tedious?

His stint there is clearly the highlight of what he's achieved. He did an amazing job from where they were when he took over. Since then he hasn't really 'achieved' anything, has he?

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

M8, you've just claimed McInnes and Ross have achieved the same thing, despite McInnes doing it over a decade, while Jack Ross hasn't even be a top flight manager for a single full season yet.

Its better when you are pretending to troll tbh.

Similar, not same. I mean if you are going to try and make a point about people getting it wrong, it's probably best you get it right yourself.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not sure the St Mirren thing would be that tedious?

His stint there is clearly the highlight of what he's achieved. He did an amazing job from where they were when he took over. Since then he hasn't really 'achieved' anything, has he?

Well I just meant that some may think I've got a bit of a chub for Ross because of his previous team. I still think that at Hibs he struggles to really change a team mid game, which is the same thing I level at McInnes.

This isn't necessarily about achievements, btw, it's about who you think is the better manager. Ross hasn't been in the Scottish top flight long enough to accrue the same CV as McInnes so it's really not possible to compare them on that basis.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Similar, not same. I mean if you are going to try and make a point about people getting it wrong, it's probably best you get it right yourself.

What are these "similar things"?

Ross starts at the Championship with St Mirren, wins the league, goes to the EFL League One, gets sacked. Joins Hibs who had finished 5th and takes them to 7th.

McInnes starts at the Championship, wins promotion, establishes club as top flight side never finishing below 8th. Moves to EFL Championship, gets sacked. Joins Aberdeen who had finished 8th and takes them to 3rd.

The similarities are striking, and it clear that Ross has had a better career so far in comparison.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

Well I just meant that some may think I've got a bit of a chub for Ross because of his previous team. I still think that at Hibs he struggles to really change a team mid game, which is the same thing I level at McInnes.

This isn't necessarily about achievements, btw, it's about who you think is the better manager. Ross hasn't been in the Scottish top flight long enough to accrue the same CV as McInnes so it's really not possible to compare them on that basis.

I have no qualms with your opinion that Ross is a better manager, even if I'm yet to be convinced by him. I only took issue with the achieved similar in a shorter time quote.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

It's almost like some people are absolutely livid you hold opposite opinions to them.

I just find it hilarious how consistently bad your opinions are, and how you flail about trying to defend them before giving up and having a wee huff when it inevitably sinks in how wrong you've been.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I just find it hilarious how consistently bad your opinions are, and how you flail about trying to defend them before giving up and having a wee huff when it inevitably sinks in how wrong you've been.

Just to remind everyone, I wasn't the one throwing around insults because you had a different opinion. It's not the first time you've done it either. The only "wee huff" happening is when you think you are in some way "challenged", as if your opinion is sacrosanct. Perhaps accepting it is OK to disagree without insulting people would be a good step forward. You've got to be in your 30's, not 13. What's more, as this is a personal rating of the managers, there is no "wrong" here, unless you somehow wish to enter some Cartesian debate.

I really don't intend to spend the afternoon trying to convince you otherwise. If there is some perceived slight on your behalf, let it be known it was not intentional.

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have no qualms with your opinion that Ross is a better manager, even if I'm yet to be convinced by him. I only took issue with the achieved similar in a shorter time quote.

Yeah, we'll see. I like Ross in general as a person. I suppose because I was exposed to him far more than I have McInnes. I think managers roughly get to a peak and I'm not sure Ross has. He may well have of course. Time will tell.

Edited by Ric