Rate the Managers

With top flight managers very much in the news at the moment - due to one walking away and another one who is holding on - I thought it would be a good time to talk about how you rate the different managers.

You can use whatever thought process you want to decide your 1-11 (current positions, recent form, history, potential etc) but I suppose if you rate another teams manager higher than your own then you would willingly swap your own boss for that rival.

1- Gerrard

2 - McInnes

3 - Ross

4 - Dyer

5 - Robinson 

6 - Lennon

7 - Mellon

8 - Goodwin

9 - Kettlewell

10 - Davidson

11 - Rice

Placing Dyer at 4th may smack a bit of blue tinted specs but I wouldn’t swap him for Lennon or anyone below him in that table.

If Dyer left and Robinson replaced him I’d be relatively happy but I certainly wouldn’t rush to sack Dyer just because Robinson became available. I’m sure none of the Motherwell fans would swap Robinson for Dyer either.

Difficult to see any objective justification for placing Mellon below fifth at worst. On an aesthetic level the football is eye-bleedingly awful but it's effective. Dyer took over a good team and has them performing at a lower level; Robinson has done well at Motherwell but is on a downward slope; Lennon's shite.

16 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Difficult to see any objective justification for placing Mellon below fifth at worst. On an aesthetic level the football is eye-bleedingly awful but it's effective. Dyer took over a good team and has them performing at a lower level; Robinson has done well at Motherwell but is on a downward slope; Lennon's shite.

Probably just a lack of knowledge about Mellon to be honest, you’ve got more points than us so he is doing something ok.

With top flight managers very much in the news at the moment - due to one walking away and another one who is holding on - I thought it would be a good time to talk about how you rate the different managers.
You can use whatever thought process you want to decide your 1-11 (current positions, recent form, history, potential etc) but I suppose if you rate another teams manager higher than your own then you would willingly swap your own boss for that rival.
1- Gerrard
2 - McInnes
3 - Ross
4 - Dyer
5 - Robinson 
6 - Lennon
7 - Mellon
8 - Goodwin
9 - Kettlewell
10 - Davidson
11 - Rice

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Mellon is almost certainly operating on a larger budget than those guys though.

Robinson is obviously better than Dyer for me. Davidson seems to be a very good coach too, but the jury is still out a bit as a manager.

I thought this was a report cards thing and I'm going to pretend it is

Jack Ross: B- so far. Progression from the stability he brought last year, it's good to go into games against everyone bar Aberdeen and the OF not quite expecting a win but not being too worried about a defeat.

Recruitment has been pretty solid, although that's largely Gogic and Nisbit. Wright is fine but won't be pushing Boyle for a starting spot, Murphy looks very decent but I'm not sure him on loan is better value than keeping Horgan. Magennis feels like a waste to me. I get it comes with the lower revenue and smaller squad but it also feels like we signed Gogic as the sole "enforcer" for the midfield and called it a job well done, when our games with Aberdeen have shown us we still sometimes need more bite than Hallberg, Mallan or Newall can give.

In terms of coaching and man management he seems to do pretty well, but tactically I'm not sure. I still don't think he's found his best team and formation, and he's not getting the most out of some of our better players.

Still given we've been all over the place since the airplane game it's an improvement and we're on course for our best finish in a while.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

1. Gerrard 

2. McInnes

3. Robinson

4. Ross 

5. Lennon 

6. Mellon

7.  Dyer

8. Davidson

9.  Goodwin

10. Kettlewell 

11. Rice

Can't argue with top 2 at present, or bottom 2, but if that really is 3rd-5th then it shows how dreadful the current group must be.  I think you could put all those from 3rd-9th in any order at all and it wouldn't make much difference.

Jack Ross must wake up every day and say prayers of thanks for a reputation amongst a fair few people based on absolutely f**k all. 

Just now, PauloPerth said:

Can't argue with top 2 at present, or bottom 2, but if that really is 3rd-5th then it shows how dreadful the current group must be.  I think you could put all those from 3rd-9th in any order at all and it wouldn't make much difference.

Jack Ross must wake up every day and say prayers of thanks for a reputation amongst a fair few people based on absolutely f**k all. 

Aye there definitely wasn't much in it. Robinson is the only one with a significant sample size but I think it's unlikely anyone below will be topping his 2 cup finals+ 3rd place last season anytime soon. Ross, Mellon,Dyer and Davidson are all pretty to difficult to judge until they've had a full season in charge, and Goodwin could probably jump up a few places if he plays his cards right.

Mellon is easily 3rd when you consider the squad which until last couple of games has been a straight up championship squad with shankland whos not been in with the goals this season.

Add that to all of hearts pish in the summer and really we should have been completley fucked. Next season we will be interesting.

Id put gerrard and ross above him and the rest of the mince to absolute dross anywhere you want.

Kettlewell and rice bottom.