Where's the Strangest Place You Want to Visit or Have Visited?

NotThePars

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

A friend of mine was apparently born near Lake Baikal (which he claims is the deepest lake on the planet). I’d love to visit there. The Silk Road and the Trans Siberian Railway would be great routes to travel across.

Yea, it’s the opposite of my justification for visiting Mongolia but equally as interesting to see
societies which fundamentally haven’t changed from hundreds of years ago.

I think there’s a city between the two zones in Cyprus which has been essentially untouched since the wars. Would love to visit there although I think it’s also heavily mined.

Varosha in Famagusta? Its on the Turkish side but hasn’t been touched. You can go to the border and look into the town (at least you could 20 years ago, might have changed somewhat since).

7 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Varosha in Famagusta? Its on the Turkish side but hasn’t been touched. You can go to the border and look into the town (at least you could 20 years ago, might have changed somewhat since).

That must be it, aye.

1 hour ago, Manifesto said:

That periodically pops up on an Historical photos page I follow on FB and was up a week or so ago.

Looks mental 😁

125199575_1680589008781509_9019549743737983411_n.jpg.7101f7792d4cc9a346530c87ee5f342a.jpg

Thats quite a few years before I was there :lol:

It is mental, unfortunately hasnt been used for decades. Apparently cards pretty quickly became too powerful for the bends.

1 hour ago, Waspy said:

The Turks are looking at reopening Varosha. Some tourists visited this year.

Would like to go actually into Varosha too. I’ve seen some of it through a lens from the viewpoint but it didn’t really have the eerie effect when you can see some UN Soldiers giving their best Joga Bonito effort doing keepy-ups on Varosha High Street.

Edited by 8MileBU

10 hours ago, Mr X said:

Thats quite a few years before I was there :lol:

It is mental, unfortunately hasnt been used for decades. Apparently cards pretty quickly became too powerful for the bends.

Its still there and you can still go round it in a car - I think it was a Gino D'campo cooking show in Turin where he was taken round it in a car

Two of mine are the Red Jail - Saddam Hussein’s former torture chamber in the centre of Sulaimanya, Kurdistan; and Leptis Magna in Libya.   

I can see myself going back to Iraq in the future, but I suspect Libya is permanently off the tourist trail.

A1416555-6312-40C4-8D16-30FE4544585A.jpeg

1BE35F2D-DC79-4BB8-90C0-A04D9CAFF218.jpeg

On 30/11/2020 at 18:12, Jimi Shandrix said:

I've been to Ballingry. That was pretty strange.

You should try Paisley....

On 30/11/2020 at 19:59, paranoid android said:

Aye fancied going to Portmeirion. 

Be seeing you. ;)

There is a Portmerion at Livingston Outlet..

I know , it's cost me a fortune

20 hours ago, Waspy said:

The Turks are looking at reopening Varosha. Some tourists visited this year.

18 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Would like to go actually into Varosha too. I’ve seen some of it through a lens from the viewpoint but it didn’t really have the eerie effect when you can see some UN Soldiers giving their best Joga Bonito effort doing keepy-ups on Varosha High Street.

This is good to know. Might have to try and get there sooner rather than later before it gets homogenised and modernised.

I didn't get to Albania for the Scotland game, but I quite fancy heading there and getting out of the capital. Fascinating history and a wee bit feudal out in the sticks.

I was lucky to visit loads of non-tourist places in South Korea. I'd love to go to the North but not on a guided tour.

I don't get the attraction of North Korea. Firstly people you talk to will be shit scared of saying the wrong thing. Secondly if some fuckwit like Boris in the West says the wrong thing you could be thrown in a death camp as a hostage. I get that it's unusual in today's world but there are plenty of other places on the wild side that I'd rather visit.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get the attraction of North Korea. Firstly people you talk to will be shit scared of saying the wrong thing. Secondly if some fuckwit like Boris in the West says the wrong thing you could be thrown in a death camp as a hostage. I get that it's unusual in today's world but there are plenty of other places on the wild side that I'd rather visit.

I think the two issues you highlight are fairly overblown tbh. I get the impression that as long as you don't deliberately antagonise your hosts then you'll be fine. The quickest of Googles suggests around 5000 tourists from the West travel each year. Luckily for me I'm Knausgaardian in my need to be a people pleaser so I would be grand.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Had a long debate on this topic a few years ago with a friend who had went and someone who was all against it. How it is only for the individuals ego and ‘bragging rights’ but it doesn’t help the local people. The money goes to the government, it legitimises the leadership and of course you do not actually see anything that remotely reflects day to day life.

Its a fancy package tour where you are chaperoned to the places they want you to see.

Had quite fancied it up the point of that discussion, but think the person (who presented the points more eloquently than myself) put across a strong case of it being a bad idea (and there thought: people who go are arseholes).

Open for debate

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Knausgaardian

Going to have to read this boy if you recommend him, sounds interesting from a quick google. Not sure if total honesty whoever it hurts would be the best strategy in North Korea, especially if you saw a waiter giving a sly wink at your morning paper or whatever.

4 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Had a long debate on this topic a few years ago with a friend who had went and someone who was all against it. How it is only for the individuals ego and ‘bragging rights’ but it doesn’t help the local people. The money goes to the government, it legitimises the leadership and of course you do not actually see anything that remotely reflects day to day life.

Its a fancy package tour where you are chaperoned to the places they want you to see.

Had quite fancied it up the point of that discussion, but think the person (who presented the points more eloquently than myself) put across a strong case of it being a bad idea (and there thought: people who go are arseholes).

Open for debate

We faced the same discussion when we went to Myanmar - honestly speaking I'm not into the political debate or the rights and wrongs of tourists in such places as the same argument could be made for countless other places albeit to a lesser extent.  We just fancied it and were able to go without much hassle.  

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

We faced the same discussion when we went to Myanmar - honestly speaking I'm not into the political debate or the rights and wrongs of tourists in such places as the same argument could be made for countless other places albeit to a lesser extent.  We just fancied it and were able to go without much hassle.  

Agree with that and the time you noted going to Myanmar would have similar considerations. The biggest argument against North Korea is the pretty much a state run package delivery.

Probably the breaker for me is needing to go the tomb of Kim-il Sung to pay respects as part of nothing more than a package tour.

I’m in the same camp as Welshbairn, plenty of other places to go before there, but each to their own.