Saint Andrew's Day

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cant help but feel its a bit of a sham having St Andrews day celebrations since we bottled indy in 2014. Bit of a riddy. 

Meaningless cultural symbols in lieu of meaningful political autonomy sounds about right for the No vote TBF (to be fair)

8 hours ago, G51 said:

The arse end of November might be the worst possible time to have a national day.

We may not all agree about the merits and dangers  of independence but I think we could probably all agree that if its to be done it should be done in the Summer

This patron saint thing is a bit of a gimmick.

https://www.catholic.org/saints/patron.php

From ‘abandoned children’ to ‘Zutphen (Netherlands)’ with everything in between including chilblains and sheds.

You’d have to be pretty shit to be the patron saint of chilblains.

From ‘abandoned children’ to ‘Zutphen (Netherlands)’ with everything in between including chilblains and sheds.

When I was in Cyprus I visited the church of St Mamés, the patron saint of tax evaders.

Be a bit of a cold shoulder from St Matthew then, he was a tax collector. 

Mamés is also the patron saint of broken bones so clearly he couldn’t evade everything.

The church is really beautiful. It was closed when we visited but there were flocks of starlings flying around the arches as the day drew to a close, lovely. I like visiting churches but my favourites are the Orthodox churches in Cyprus. There’s such a contrast, they are often very rural and basic but have such ornate icons, beautiful buildings and decorations.

On 30/11/2020 at 22:08, Granny Danger said:

They should promote St Jude to something more important and give lost causes to St Mirren

On 30/11/2020 at 22:08, Granny Danger said:

Do you think they ever sit down and compare note

"I got carpets.  What about you?"

"I got door handles.  Was hoping I would get the whole door and maybe windows too."

"No you don't want that.  Too much responsibility.  I was offered rugs, linoleum and floor tiles as well but carpets is enough for me."

"Okay.  Patron Saint of Carpets it is.  I think I might do a swap with Elias.  Patron Saint of soft furniture sounds pretty good to me."

"Good luck with that."

Do you think they ever sit down and compare note
"I got carpets.  What about you?"
"I got door handles.  Was hoping I would get the whole door and maybe windows too."
"No you don't want that.  Too much responsibility.  I was offered rugs, linoleum and floor tiles as well but carpets is enough for me."
"Okay.  Patron Saint of Carpets it is.  I think I might do a swap with Elias.  Patron Saint of soft furniture sounds pretty good to me."
"Good luck with that."

You’re asking Granny to concede the existence of an afterlife

So according to that link, Mary Magdalene is the patron saint of reformed prostitutes, penitent sinners, sexual temptation, contemplatives and glove makers.

At what point does making this woman our patron saint become a no-brainer?

36 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You’re asking Granny to concede the existence of an afterlife

Good point.  Personally I find it unlikely that you arrive at the pearly gates and you are met by someone who wants to see your stamp collection.