Saint Andrew's Day

39 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cant help but feel its a bit of a sham having St Andrews day celebrations since we bottled indy in 2014. Bit of a riddy. 

There should be a paid week fortnight month off work but only for people who voted YES.

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We're all sinners. Not necessarilly all prostitutes, that's merely another sin.

Not necessarily if you're Catholic, but definitely if you're a Calvinist!

My recollection is that the original sin is not given much thought in Catholicism, but it's been a long time since I learned any of this tbf.

Edited by G51

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

Not necessarily if you're Catholic, but definitely if you're a Calvinist!

My recollection is that the original sin is not given much thought in Catholicism, but it's been a long time since I learned any of this tbf.

The catechism focuses on not where the sin originates from but instructs us to put our faith in the person that provides redemption. 

Or something along these lines... 

6 hours ago, 101 said:

Happy St Andrew's Day! Meant to be a national Day of kindness but also a day for getting pished, maybe to 2 things go together. Do you do anything to mark the day?

I made a cake yesterday and handed it in to my 2 elderly neighbours one of whom has had 2 strokes this year and isn't keeping well, today an ambulance was out side, I hope he got to enjoy it before his trip to hospital.

Reveal hidden contents

Everyone else who has had the cake has been fine

Reveal hidden contents

So far

The only good thing about it is that in the glorious public sector it’s a holiday.

I started today by watching Homes Under The Hammer, the went a walk. So exciting. 

Good skills on the cake for  elderly neighbours. Well done you. 👍 

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The only good thing about it is that in the glorious public sector it’s a holiday.

I started today by watching Homes Under The Hammer, the went a walk. So exciting. 

In a weird twist we voted to bin some privilege holidays for additions to annual holiday entitlement. We binned Glasgow fair friday and St Andrew's day and kept September Monday.

10 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

20201128_155844.thumb.jpg.613c0f99b16f89b750ee0a9486e51493.jpg

Pretty decent tbh but aye decent getting a day off out it.

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

I'm an snp member (pay £1 a month) but anything marked snp tends to go in the bin unopened. This one felt different tho because of the card so I opened it and as you can see I wasn't disappointed. 

I’m not overly patriotic but it annoys me that the card shops (pre covid) would always have St Patrick’s day cards but never St Andrews ones

Good skills on the cake for  elderly neighbours. Well done you. [emoji106] 
Not in South Ayrshire it's not. I never realised any LAs took it as a public holiday. Horrible time if year for it.

6 hours ago, G51 said:

The arse end of November might be the worst possible time to have a national day.

Everyone's focused on Christmas and the weather's shite.

If we switched our saint to Mary Magdalene, we'd get a day off in July and we'd boil a huge amount of piss.

St Ninian used to be our patron saint and his feast day is in June but some medieval King decided he was a bit obscure and it was more swanky to have an Apostle.

Probably as a GIRUY to England "Oh, you've got some poncy Turkish lizard slayer? Well we've got an Apostle.."

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m not overly patriotic but it annoys me that the card shops (pre covid) would always have St Patrick’s day cards but never St Andrews ones

Because St Patricks day as a big booze up is a mixture of US "Irish" celebrating something vaguely about their "homeland" and a brewery cannily connecting one of their brands too it. In Ireland it used to be a day people would attend mass and do your usual village fete type stuff. 

St Andrews day was for Kirk and Boys Brigade. Now it seems to be a Google Doodle and people trying to think of something "Scottishy" that is not already done on Hogmanay and Burns Night. Without religion its really a nothing day in Scottish culture but the other 3 "regions" kind of expect us to make as big of a deal of it as they do their saints day. 

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

St Ninian used to be our patron saint and his feast day is in June but some medieval King decided he was a bit obscure and it was more swanky to have an Apostle.

Probably as a GIRUY to England "Oh, you've got some poncy Turkish lizard slayer? Well we've got an Apostle.."

He wasn't and his feast day is in September but it's a good post all the same.