Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm obviously hoping he's a complete disaster, but it's brilliant how many folk who probably don't even know the entirety of their own squad saying he'll fail because "I've never heard of him".

I thought the same then remembered how insufferable the **** have been.

11 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

If he doesn't turn up at training stinking of drink it will be an immediate upgrade on the professionalism of Lennon. 

Allegedly. 

You think Celtic actually had training sessions with Lennon in charge?

Minter

57 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Obviously 🙂

But you are right, the volume of experts on here predicting him to fail within 6 months is amusing. I'm remaining optimistic as everything i've seen or heard so far suggests he bring things that were clearly lacking last year and that's discipline, professionalism and a determined mindset

The big IF with Ange isn't his capability to coach it's if he can build a squad that's able to compete and that comes down to firstly if the board will back him and secondly will they allow him to bring in who he wants. 

Big names don't guarantee success, you would think people would have learned that from Paul Le Guens Rangers tenure. 

He does have a pretty big name TBF.

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

"Appointed to the position of Football Manager."

Did they need to specify football manager? 

Celtic folk seem to like adding "football" or especially "football club"  when discussing things.  The interviewer did it a few times "what will you bring to the football club?" type thing, as if it adds a bit of grandeur to what they're saying.

Think Tommy Burns was one of the first I noticed doing it years back.  He used to love throwing in a "Celtic football club".

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

If he doesn't turn up at training stinking of drink it will be an immediate upgrade on the professionalism of Lennon. 

Allegedly. 

Drink? I think big Ange must be vaping gigantic pipes of DMT if he thinks he can win the league in this audition season.

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

3 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Obviously 🙂

But you are right, the volume of experts on here predicting him to fail within 6 months is amusing. I'm remaining optimistic as everything i've seen or heard so far suggests he bring things that were clearly lacking last year and that's discipline, professionalism and a determined mindset

The big IF with Ange isn't his capability to coach it's if he can build a squad that's able to compete and that comes down to firstly if the board will back him and secondly will they allow him to bring in who he wants. 

Big names don't guarantee success, you would think people would have learned that from Paul Le Guens Rangers tenure. 

I’d be worried because Le Guen didn’t work out tbh. Brining in new ideas won’t fly in Scotland no matter how great they are.

Le Guen lost the dressing room cause he wouldn’t let Barry Ferguson have a half time packet of Monster Munch. The same will happen with this guy.

Guest TheJTS98
8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I’d be worried because Le Guen didn’t work out tbh. Brining in new ideas won’t fly in Scotland no matter how great they are.

Le Guen lost the dressing room cause he wouldn’t let Barry Ferguson have a half time packet of Monster Munch. The same will happen with this guy.

Le Guen got the Rangers job fifteen years ago. I'm not sure it's a relevant comparison.

It's a different generation of players and I'm not sure what people think he's going to try to implement that modern players at a club like Celtic won't already have been exposed to or will find unacceptable.

He'll tweak the style of play, there'll be a clear system, and he's maybe a bit intense, but it's not like he's going to be revolutionising Scottish football. It's a different game now. It's not like Scottish footballers will have no experience of intense, slightly grumpy coaches.

I think if Ange can get his ideas across well enough to win a league in Japan, where he doesn't speak the language, then he'll be fine in a country where he is a native-speaker of the language.

Big job for Celtic to get on with building a squad now.

Edited by TheJTS98

14 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Obviously 🙂

Celtic have won 15 league titles since 2000. It’s what Celtic do.

If this guy is a good coach, which I think he is, he’ll win the league this coming season. If he doesn’t, he’ll lose his job.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

3 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Le Guen got the Rangers job fifteen years ago. I'm not sure it's a relevant comparison.

Le Guen had to cope with Barry Ferguson too, while this boy already has Brown out the door.

Means he should be fine to ban midweek fish suppers without a mutiny. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Le Guen had to cope with Barry Ferguson too, while this boy already has Brown out the door.

Means he should be fine to ban midweek fish suppers without a mutiny. 

I think Scottish football has moved on a bit since Le Guen diet wise and general professionalism thankfully but still some way to go . Deilas down fall in regard to this was having everybody eating off the same diet plan and not tailored to body types (and having an utter cock for an assistant manager obvs). Heard players in a few podcasts since saying they were the lightest they ever were under him but were blowing out their arses after an hour in games.  Basically aesthetically they looked more toned but it didn’t  help on the pitch in games.  Roy Keane said he tried much the same thing when he saw Giggs on a similar diet but his stamina was fucked and gave it up.

“Le guen tried and failed” is about as relevant an argument as when the English contemplate getting a non-English England manager and they start wailing “we tried a foreigner before!!!”. It makes no sense as an argument. 

Times change and move on and footballers now are different. 

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

“Le guen tried and failed” is about as relevant an argument as when the English contemplate getting a non-English England manager and they start wailing “we tried a foreigner before!!!”. It makes no sense as an argument. 

Times change and move on and footballers now are different. 

Tbf it was much the same retort in Scotland when the SFA were looking for a manager after Levein and Strachan. It’s a totally moronic outlook.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Celtic have won 15 league titles since 2000. It’s what Celtic do.

Which have nearly always coincided with seasons where Celtic had the best squad in the country. If Ajer and Edouard leave then unless Celtic absolutely nail every signing this summer then there isn't a chance that will be the case.

7 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Which have nearly always coincided with seasons where Celtic had the best squad in the country. If Ajer and Edouard leave then unless Celtic absolutely nail every signing this summer then there isn't a chance that will be the case.

Out of interest do you see many prominent players leaving Ibrox this summer? We basically have been selling one at least every season since Lennons first tenure to balance the books, The share issues can’t go on forever but Im thinking automatic champions league qualification next season is the calculated risk now for King etc.

Edited by gannonball

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Out of interest do you see many prominent players leaving Ibrox this summer? We basically have been selling one at least every season since Lennons first tenure to balance the books, The share issues can’t go on forever but Im thinking automatic champions league qualification next season is the calculated risk now for King etc.

Yes depending on contract situation. Goldson has a year left now so if he doesn't sign he will be sold. Kamara could be sold as he has two years left now.

Goldson will be hard to replace but from a Celtic perspective the player you probably should want to leave as soon as possible is Kent. 

26 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Tbf it was much the same retort in Scotland when the SFA were looking for a manager after Levein and Strachan. It’s a totally moronic outlook.

It’s always surprised me how accepted it is as an argument. There is some merit in questioning someone maybe not having the same knowledge of the Scottish game as a rival candidate, experience does have value. 

But when it goes down the route of ‘foreign man with foreign ideas will never work in Scotland’ it just fails any sniff test as a logical argument. 

I'm quite intrigued as to what kinda signings he will make. Will it be more a case of the celtc world class recruitment department suggesting the players or will he know anybody this side of the equator that he fancies? 

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

I'm quite intrigued as to what kinda signings he will make. Will it be more a case of the celtc world class recruitment department suggesting the players or will he know anybody this side of the equator that he fancies? 

He’ll probably use his extensive contacts to bring in some of the finest talent from the Southern Hemisphere, starting with Australia international Martin Boyle. 

I'll admit to being a bit wary of Celtic, especially if they back the manager with funds in the transfer window. The way I see it, nobody can be worse than Lennon/Kennedy were last season so I expect them to improve. How much they improve is the unknown but I hope they don't get that new manager lift that can happen and build some early momentum.

41 minutes ago, DMCs said:

They’ve also coincided with seasons when Celtic have had the biggest budget in the country which once again they will have. 

Ange has a massive advantage over all the other clubs.