Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, hearthammer said:

You're now getting the opportunity to sample a wee snifter of what the rest of Scottish football has been raucously enjoying since 2011/12.  Indeed,it was a great time to witness the shitshow that was.

#goingforwan

Amusing when folk try and deflect from the current shit show at Celtic with the "remember the funny stuff that happened to you" argument. I just expected it to come from Celtic fans.

9 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Celtic isn’t a proving ground for untried and untested managers. It generally doesn’t end well when it’s been done before and believe me when I tell you Kennedy will not be accepted as a permanent manager by fans. There isn’t a single Celtic fan I know or have seen on social media that would accept it and it would just be a repeat of the same mistake made with Lennon where no consideration was given to other and better qualified candidates. I don’t think the new CEO will be tempted to blot his copy book that quickly by making the same mistake

There is a massive rebuilding job required at Celtic, to do that competently requires someone of experience to do it right and quickly. 

With all due respect, Celtic (and Rangers FWIW) are proving grounds for untried and untested managers. That's where these clubs are in modern football. Both Deila and Lennon (1st time round) were unproven managers when they arrived.

The two teams are just in a position where if they go for an unproven manager, they can take a punt on ones that are more likely to be a success.

ETA: The Sporting Director is the more important appointment when it comes to the rebuild anyway. He will have far more influence on it than the manager will.

Edited by G51

3 hours ago, DMCs said:

I'm hearing Steve Clarke after the Euros which would be brilliant for chances of getting 56.

If he was able to ragdoll Rangers on a regular basis with Killie, then what makes you think he wouldn't be able to do the same with about 50 times the budget at Celtic?

Edited by craigkillie

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Amusing when folk try and deflect from the current shit show at Celtic with the "remember the funny stuff that happened to you" argument. I just expected it to come from Celtic fans.

It was anything but "funny" I can assure you.  It was the biggest industrial scale level of financial impropriety (cheating) in Scottish/UK sport.  Your assumption that it was or should only be the fans of cheek #2 who were outraged and joyful when the old team went into administration and soon to be liquidated is, i'm afraid, a prime example of how myopic both sets of fans are.  There are currently 42 senior clubs in Scotland - not just Fran & Anna.

Scottish football fans comprise a lot more than the 2 hordes of self-entitled green/blue smugistas.  As i have said, your myopia may be preventing you from seeing further, in a football sense, beyond your respective areas of Glasgow. 

Just now, hearthammer said:

It was anything but "funny" I can assure you.  It was the biggest industrial scale level of financial impropriety (cheating) in Scottish/UK sport.  Your assumption that it was or should only be the fans of cheek #2 who were outraged and joyful when the old team went into administration and soon to be liquidated is, i'm afraid, a prime example of how myopic both sets of fans are.  There are currently 42 senior clubs in Scotland - not just Fran & Anna.

Scottish football fans comprise a lot more than the 2 hordes of self-entitled green/blue smugistas.  As i have said, your myopia may be preventing you from seeing further, in a football sense, beyond your respective areas of Glasgow. 

happy the rock GIF

52 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Are we seriously considering whether a guy who earns £3m a year while coaching de Bruyne, Lukaku and Hazard is going to give that up so his wife can live close to Motherwell?

Dinner parties with the Cowans,  who wouldn't jump at that?

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If he was able to ragdoll Rangers on a regular basis with Killie, then what makes you think he wouldn't be able to do the same with about 50 times the budget at Celtic?

Trying to picture celtic with a plastic pitch and ten players camped out in their own box every game...

They hounded Strachan out for far less.

10 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

I see you are maybe conflating two different points then. Your original post mentioned you'd been enjoying the events at Rangers since 2011/2012. So, forgive me for thinking you were not referring to the use of EBT schemes given that this took place years before.

Regardless, it is still amusing to see this trotted out simply because Celtic are currently suffering. I'm going to enjoy the here and now, but you crack on with your theories of myopic self entitlement.

The new Rugby guy CEO they've brought in clearly won't give it to Kennedy unless he smashes it out the park. Fans (we hope) will be back in some shape or form, that new CEO won't want to get his relationship with the fans off to a bad start and there'd just be too much pressure.

Equally shouts of Martinez and Benitez are absolutely wild.

I could see it being Clarke after the Euros, Lampard for the LOL-factor or a Jack Ross type tbh.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Rodgers was earning £2.3m a year. I don't think Martinez is likely at all, but I could see a path where it happens if his wife really wants to make the move back home.

Paul Lambert loved, and was loved by, Borussia Dortmund.

His Mrs wanted her lorne sausage and trips to What Everyone Wants so back he came. It is a very unlikely happening, but not entirely unthinkable.

Just stuck a tenner on Andre Villas-Boas. 

Absolutely no idea if he would even be interested, but he fits the bill in terms of an out of work manager with decent experience in various European leagues and would be out to prove a point given his career has stalled over the past few years.

If its not going to be him winning me money, I really hope they go for a proper banter appointment like a Kennedy/Strachan dream team or bringing back O'Neil.

30 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

As long as they don't come snorting around big Davie Martindale then I'll be happy.

Lampard would be a laugh just for the narrative, and possible. Benitez would be entertaining if they could pull it off. Guarantee they'll hire Jack Ross.

FTFY

11 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Paul Lambert loved, and was loved by, Borussia Dortmund.

His Mrs wanted her lorne sausage and trips to What Everyone Wants so back he came. It is a very unlikely happening, but not entirely unthinkable.

Mrs Martinez has coped until now. Didn't Lambert last two years at Dortmund?

45 minutes ago, G51 said:

Both Deila and Lennon (1st time round) were unproven managers when they arrived.

You could argue that for Lennon, but Deila not only had years of managerial experience but had been on a stellar run in Norway. I get that he wasn't "a big name" but he was in no way an unproven manager.

As for Martinez, when you consider the crazy suggestions that get banded about when one of the OF jobs are available, it's less crazy for all the reasons mentioned by others. If he was to move on, it would definitely be after the Euros, and remember he's been there nearly 5 years now which is the usual sort of spell for any international manager. What's more, despite a stellar squad and topping the FIFA rankings, they only have a WC 3rd place spot, and a EC quarter final placing as a return on that. Even if Martinez goes ahead and wins EC 2020(21) either he or the Belgian FA may decide to call it quits.

Not that I'm stating he will be the next Celtic manager, just that it's not quite as crazy as maybe first seems.

32 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Is Jim Goodwin an entirely implausible and very poorly researched shout?

I would be genuinely gobsmacked if Goodwin was even considered in the running let alone being mentioned as a serious contender. Decent manager, of course, but I think he'd need to get St Mirren a couple of top 6 finishes and a cup final berth to even come close to being considered. If anything, and I'm not sticking money on it, Ross to Celtic and Goodwin to Hibs would be more likely than Goodwin direct to Celtic.

Edited by Ric

43 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Drawing games and then winning a couple by 1 goal =ragdoll

😂