Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Copied from Twitter😂

Lennon's first defeat as Celtic manager- Ross County 2-0 Celtic- 10th April 2010

Lennon's last defeat as Celtic manager- Ross County 1-0 Celtic -21st February 2021

It's a shame he didn't go after the November defeat cause that would have been some lovely symmetry

1 minute ago, G51 said:

It's a bit naive to think that a big bag of cash wouldn't make Clarke change his mind.

He already is quite a wealthy man. He worked in the Premiership for years and apparently made a few property investments that bring him quite a bit of money. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would subject himself to being an OF manager for the sake of a little extra money, especially when he has expressed his disdain with the unsavoury elements of both sides of the OF.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Did he not say the only Scottish club he would ever manage is Killie due to a family member supporting them or something?

He is a Killie supporter himself.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

He already is quite a wealthy man. He worked in the Premiership for years and apparently made a few property investments that bring him quite a bit of money. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would subject himself to being an OF manager for the sake of a little extra money, especially when he has expressed his disdain with the unsavoury elements of both sides of the OF.

I've no doubt he is, but even extremely wealthy football managers make decisions based on money. In fact, it's often their primary motivating factor.

11 hours ago, G51 said:

Kennedy's going to take over, win 5 or 6 dead rubbers which will be enough for Celtic to keep him on.

What a time to be alive!

You're now getting the opportunity to sample a wee snifter of what the rest of Scottish football has been raucously enjoying since 2011/12.  Indeed,it was a great time to witness the shitshow that was.

#goingforwan

If Celtic keep the coaching situation in flux through May, then people absolutely will renew season tickets. There's a waiting list to replace the very small minority of fans that won't renew because John Kennedy is still there. Season tickets are a social thing for a lot of people, they don't need much convincing to renew.
Of the contenders listed, Kennedy makes the most sense:
Clarke - would have made him the favourite but the timing doesn't work. He almost certainly won't give up a crack at the Euros and the chance to become a national hero. Jumping for Celtic before that would make him the most hated manager in Scotland, and I don't think he could really handle that. Celtic need a manager well before July.
Howe - possible, but family circumstances mean it's unlikely. He's also said no to it already, or else he would have been in in November. Also, he's a renowned control freak, so if Celtic are serious about the sporting director role he isn't the man.
Roberto Martinez - maybe? Would be a bit left-field but I could see it.
Benitez - has already ruled himself out by saying he wants to go to a Premier League team.
All of the rest of the options on the bookies list aren't any better punts than Kennedy is.
You can see Martinez giving up managing th number 1 ranked international team, just before a major tournament, to manage in Scotland, almost certainly for less money?

5 minutes ago, true_rover said:
1 hour ago, G51 said:
If Celtic keep the coaching situation in flux through May, then people absolutely will renew season tickets. There's a waiting list to replace the very small minority of fans that won't renew because John Kennedy is still there. Season tickets are a social thing for a lot of people, they don't need much convincing to renew.
Clarke - would have made him the favourite but the timing doesn't work. He almost certainly won't give up a crack at the Euros and the chance to become a national hero. Jumping for Celtic before that would make him the most hated manager in Scotland, and I don't think he could really handle that. Celtic need a manager well before July.
Howe - possible, but family circumstances mean it's unlikely. He's also said no to it already, or else he would have been in in November. Also, he's a renowned control freak, so if Celtic are serious about the sporting director role he isn't the man.
Benitez - has already ruled himself out by saying he wants to go to a Premier League team.
All of the rest of the options on the bookies list aren't any better punts than Kennedy is.

You can see Martinez giving up managing th number 1 ranked international team, just before a major tournament, to manage in Scotland, almost certainly for less money?

His wife is from Motherwell IIRC. She might fancy the chance to move back home. I doubt there would be much difference in the pay.

Also, international football isn't very taxing and he might fancy scratching the itch for club football.

59 minutes ago, G51 said:

It's a bit naive to think that a big bag of cash wouldn't make Clarke change his mind.

It's not impossible but I think back to Clarke complaining about the sectarian abuse he got when he was manager of Killie and he must realise that would increase ten fold if he took the Celtic job. He's put himself in a position with Scotland that he could work that job until he retires. He's 57 and doesn't really have anything to prove as a manager IMO, I think it'd be madness for him to take the Celtic job now or after the Euros. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's not impossible but I think back to Clarke complaining about the sectarian abuse he got when he was manager of Killie and he must realise that would increase ten fold if he took the Celtic job. He's put himself in a position with Scotland that he could work that job until he retires. He's 57 and doesn't really have anything to prove as a manager IMO, I think it'd be madness for him to take the Celtic job now or after the Euros. 

Clarke would get dogs abuse from fans of every club if he ditched Scotland for Celtic before the Euros. I don't think he would be able to withstand that for very long.

Which means the only option would be after the Euros. If Celtic leave it that long to appoint a manager, they've already fucked the rebuild.

Having said that, money changes everything, and Clarke's never really had a shot at a big job. So I dunno. It depends on how willing he'd be to take the heat he'll get for walking out before a major tournament.

23 minutes ago, G51 said:

His wife is from Motherwell IIRC. She might fancy the chance to move back home. I doubt there would be much difference in the pay.

Also, international football isn't very taxing and he might fancy scratching the itch for club football.

He signed an extension in 2020 to ensure he stayed for delayed Euro’s which increased his salary to c.£3m per annum.

If you are saying that Celtic are offering that type of money they will attract a lot of candidates.

Given their recent financial results I’ll be surprised if they do but I’ll wait and see.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He signed an extension in 2020 to ensure he stayed for delayed Euro’s which increased his salary to c.£3m per annum.

If you are saying that Celtic are offering that type of money they will attract a lot of candidates.

Given their recent financial results I’ll be surprised if they do but I’ll wait and see.

Rodgers was earning £2.3m a year. I don't think Martinez is likely at all, but I could see a path where it happens if his wife really wants to make the move back home.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Are we seriously considering whether a guy who earns £3m a year while coaching de Bruyne, Lukaku and Hazard is going to give that up so his wife can live close to Motherwell?

Martinez family home is still in Wigan, I believe. It's not like his wife is going to be so home sick that she needs to move 4 hours up the road. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Martinez family home is still in Wigan, I believe. It's not like his wife is going to be so home sick that she needs to move 4 hours up the road. 

Well that's the answer then isn't it, Martinez won't be a goer unless Desmond sticks a chunk of money into the club.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Celtic isn’t a proving ground for untried and untested managers. It generally doesn’t end well when it’s been done before and believe me when I tell you Kennedy will not be accepted as a permanent manager by fans. There isn’t a single Celtic fan I know or have seen on social media that would accept it and it would just be a repeat of the same mistake made with Lennon where no consideration was given to other and better qualified candidates. I don’t think the new CEO will be tempted to blot his copy book that quickly by making the same mistake

There is a massive rebuilding job required at Celtic, to do that competently requires someone of experience to do it right and quickly. 

Edited by Jinky67