Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Eh? Saying having they have no real weaknesses doesn’t mean they are flawless. Its just that he doesn’t have any part of his game that would mean he wouldn’t adapt the EPL. 

He might have, probably would have, 3 or 4 years ago but being at Celtic has wrecked him as he’s never given any time to recover and plays an obscene amount of games.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McGregor could play in the EPL, the success of it would depend what side he ended up at.

He's clearly burnt out though, over the past 4/5 years he's played virtually non stop and must have an obscene amount of games played. Celtic have been horrendous at giving players time off. Tierney was headed the same way before leaving.

We have been terrible at over playing players and on flip side we also were never playing young players enough to allow them to break into 1st team

8 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Well we will find out if he moves to a better league which as I’ve said I don’t think he’ll get the chance to do.

Saying he has no real weakness to his game is a bold statement. I’d argue that even Messi and Ronaldo have areas they can improve on.

Ach, you would argue black was white...

I see the Times are reporting that Postecoglou is underqualified for the job in terms of UEFA licensing. You have to question what their recruitment team are up to - surely actually being qualified to take up the job would be an essential requirement before you actually spoke to someone.

Maybe he'll be allowed some form of dispensation, but it seems completely bonkers when there are presumably loads of equally experienced guys out there who require less hassle. I can only presume their desire to cosy up further to the City group is more important to them.

19 hours ago, Ric said:

Jansen came, was given shit by the press and some pundits, was proven wrong, the upshot is that people who do this sort of shit should do their research beforehand. As you rightfully pointed out Jansen had a profile and experience yet that didn't stop those commentators just opening their mouths.

Nothing is "ridiculous" about that.

The fact you have somehow taken what I've written as some sort of personal attack on you is well wide of the mark.

I apologises for my error 

He sounds like the Aussie Warburton which for me seems unlikely to succeed. I mean some of the things said are near identical. He's described as "stubborn" and "unwilling to change his formation". Doesn't sound like a recipe for success with the huge difference in football style between the J-League and the SPFL.

Even the Australian football writers backing him are saying that he needs time to implement his system. Is he going to get a season where the league is a write off just so he can implement his style? Especially when there is an automatic CL slot available to the league winner? 

He also has very little transfer market experience when Celtic need a big rebuild. Usually when a club needs to buy a lot of players in a short period of time they will lean on the experience of the coach to get players they know. Are A-League players going to be good enough? I can also see work permits being an issue for signing players he knows.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I see the Times are reporting that Postecoglou is underqualified for the job in terms of UEFA licensing. You have to question what their recruitment team are up to - surely actually being qualified to take up the job would be an essential requirement before you actually spoke to someone.

Maybe he'll be allowed some form of dispensation, but it seems completely bonkers when there are presumably loads of equally experienced guys out there who require less hassle. I can only presume their desire to cosy up further to the City group is more important to them.

I don’t think the UEFA licensing thing is as big a deal as it’s being made out to be by the media desperate for a story . I think as long as he agrees to work towards the badges while in the position then that can clear it . I don’t think Gerrard had all his badges when we signed him up . Think he completed the courses required and got his uefa pro license at some point in 2019. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You got a link to this? Can’t find it anywhere 

Listening to Radio Scotland this morning (one of their sport bulletins) there was an Aussie who covers the Japanese league. He provided the anecdote that, during a Manchester City tour, Guardiola reportedly told Postecoglou that "he played the game in the way he wanted his teams to do". For reference, apparently it's all out attack, with a very high line and looking to dominate in the opponent's 1/3rd.

The reporter (sorry never caught his name but I'm sure you can find the clip on BBC Sounds) also gave it big licks along the lines of "Postecoglou is nobody's second choice" generally took the piss out of Howe's record and claimed that Celtic was getting one of the top coaches in the world. High praise indeed.

Edited by Ric

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Too many tropes in one phrase for the rest of us.  I prefer to speak English.

Swing and a miss here m74. The moonbeams patter was literally coined (or minted) by Murray at the presser to unveil Le Guen and the lamb was swallowed whole by a press pack still in thrall to him.

He has the AFC equivalent license and he will have to apply to UEFA for recognition.

Listening to Radio Scotland this morning (one of their sport bulletins) there was an Aussie who covers the Japanese league. He provided the anecdote that, during a Manchester City tour, Guardiola reportedly told Postecoglou that "he played the game in the way he wanted his teams to do". For reference, apparently it's all out attack, with a very high line and looking to dominate in the opponent's 1/3rd.
The reporter (sorry never caught his name but I'm sure you can find the clip on BBC Sounds) also gave it big licks along the lines of "Postecoglou is nobody's second choice" generally took the piss out of Howe's record and claimed that Celtic was getting one of the top coaches in the world. High praise indeed.

If you think our journalists are insular and hubristic then you should see the Aussie ones. That Guardiola story is perfect for Celtic though - getting ridden red raw but getting a wee pity compliment from the opponents is right up their street.

It might have been the players at their disposal but I always thought Australia were rubbish to watch under him. Definitely high energy and good shape but nothing in the way of flair. Not sure how well that will go down at Celtic if it ends up being similar.

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If you think our journalists are insular and hubristic then you should see the Aussie ones. That Guardiola story is perfect for Celtic though - getting ridden red raw but getting a wee pity compliment from the opponents is right up their street.

It might have been the players at their disposal but I always thought Australia were rubbish to watch under him. Definitely high energy and good shape but nothing in the way of flair. Not sure how well that will go down at Celtic if it ends up being similar.

I think its easier for him to get away with it domestically anyway when most of your players are likely to be technically superior than the majority of teams you play. Thats assuming you are talking about his Australian tenure in the actual competitions proper rather than the qualifiers.