Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Just remember Sir Alan started with virtually nothing at Hibs after B#tch#r and went on to win the CUP

..and on the flip side, Stubbs started with a championship winning side and absolute shat the bed in monumental style.

There is a reason he is not employed as a manager these days.

Alex Neil would be worth a punt? Decent experience and success. Knows British football inside out. Yeah was sacked by Norwich and Preston but had decent success there given very limited resources. Clubs in this country seem to think just because a Manager is sacked he is a failure but overlook the experience gained.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Wonder which Australian ex-old firm player the tabloids will roll out to tell us all about Ange. My money's on Scott McDonald.

Good shout ..Only other guy i can think of is that Moore guy who was an international , sure  ive seen him pop up when needed before. .Red top press now working like feck to find stuff for tomorrows headlines ..

When Ange took over at Brisbane, first thing he had to do was get rid of the Moore/Malcolm/Miller/Tiatto drinking club. Anything any of these chancers say can safely be filed in the bin.

When Ange took over at Brisbane, first thing he had to do was get rid of the Moore/Malcolm/Miller/Tiatto drinking club. Anything any of these chancers say can safely be filed in the bin.
That article is fucking hilarious. Basically reads as.

'I was enjoying a jolly in Oz with a few of my ex-Rangers teammates and this guy comes in and is actually serious about winning football matches. Lo and behold he was right but all I wanted was to go on the sesh with Moorey and Charlie. I mean they won the league and that after we all got binned but what's the point in being successful if you can't go on the lash.'

People wonder why it's taken us 23 years to play at a major tournament as well. Le Guen at Rangers is the best/worst example of this and Alessio comes quite close at Killie.

I probably don't see a huge amount of rebellion in the Celtic squad though if this guy comes in. Griffiths and Brown would have been the obvious two but they'll be gone. Forrest and Mcgregor strike me as fairly honest, as does Turnbull. The overseas guys probably think this is how the club should actually be run rather than beers in Dubai.

10 hours ago, Ric said:

..and on the flip side, Stubbs started with a championship winning side and absolute shat the bed in monumental style.

There is a reason he is not employed as a manager these days.

I don't think he was seriously suggesting Stubby is a good manager, only that he would be the ideal Celtic manager.

2 hours ago, Dionysus said:

Ange Postecoglou not a very inspiring choice. Players will be crawling over hot coals to play for him.

My first reaction was who?

..almost identical claims were made about Jansen, yet in a single season he recruited Larson, killed off any hope Rangers had of 10iar and left with a win ratio of about 65%.

If anything can be learned about foreign football managers, it's that if you know f**k all about them, best to hide that ignorance and not claim they'll be a disaster.

Edited by Ric

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

..almost identical claims were made about Jansen, yet in a single season he recruited Moravcik and Larson, killed off any hope Rangers had of 10iar and left with a win ratio of about 65%.

If anything can be learned about foreign football managers, it's that if you know f**k all about them, best to hide that ignorance and not claim they'll be a disaster.

And the signing of Moravcik was absolutely slaughtered by the morons in the press here who thought their 'dud Czech' headlines were funny.

An insular, petty, xenophobic sad wee bunch are the football press here.

26 minutes ago, Ric said:

..almost identical claims were made about Jansen, yet in a single season he recruited Moravcik and Larson, killed off any hope Rangers had of 10iar and left with a win ratio of about 65%.

Wasn’t moravcik signed by Dr Jo ?

11 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I think that article reflects more poorly on Bob Malcolm and his cronies rather than Postecoglu. I suppose it's just human nature and like any workplace with "senior people" who are not interested in change. Also, I can't imagine a world where Bob Malcolm would say that Ange Postecoglu is going to be a good choice for Celtic.

1 hour ago, Forever_blueco said:

Wasn’t moravcik signed by Dr Jo ?

I thought he brought in both Moravcik and Larsson, but you are right, Larsson came under Jansen, Moravcik under Venglos.

The point sort of remains the same though, he was roundly mocked not because of his lack of managerial prowess but because some Scots journos hadn't heard of him and were too lazy to actually do their job (journos being lazy? No, say it's not true!).

In fact didn't The Sun run the headline that Jansen was the "second worst thing to happen to Hiroshima". A headline that even by Sun standards is stunningly lacking in taste.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not somehow tipping Postecoglou for greatness, in general I don't care about Celtic other than when they play us, but I do get a bit pissed off with the way the media and a section of society is very parochial when it comes to foreign managers. In fact, considering the team you support, I might even suggest that ol' Pedro got far more stick because he was from abroad.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

And the signing of Moravcik was absolutely slaughtered by the morons in the press here who thought their 'dud Czech' headlines were funny.

An insular, petty, xenophobic sad wee bunch are the football press here.

As @Forever_blueco corrected me, Moravcik was actually a Venglos capture, but you're point is spot on. I remember him being lambasted basically from the minute he stepped foot on Scottish soil until about 11 minutes into his OF debut.

Edited by Ric

I've always disliked the 'doesn't know the league' nonsense. It's just utter garbage. What does it even mean really?

Given that in excess of 30 Scottish Premiership games are shown live each season and can be accessed pretty much anywhere in the world and given that every single team has a YouTube channel with highlights of every single match, it's not difficult to familiar oneself with players and teams of any league. That's before you get to highlights shows and match reports from multiple sources that are instantly accessible online.

2 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

That article is fucking hilarious. Basically reads as.

'I was enjoying a jolly in Oz with a few of my ex-Rangers teammates and this guy comes in and is actually serious about winning football matches. Lo and behold he was right but all I wanted was to go on the sesh with Moorey and Charlie. I mean they won the league and that after we all got binned but what's the point in being successful if you can't go on the lash.'

People wonder why it's taken us 23 years to play at a major tournament as well. Le Guen at Rangers is the best/worst example of this and Alessio comes quite close at Killie.

I probably don't see a huge amount of rebellion in the Celtic squad though if this guy comes in. Griffiths and Brown would have been the obvious two but they'll be gone. Forrest and Mcgregor strike me as fairly honest, as does Turnbull. The overseas guys probably think this is how the club should actually be run rather than beers in Dubai.

MacGregor is slowly turning into Brown to be fair, Ill-discipline on pitch, loss of form, Celtic captain - it’s just a matter of time before he adds ‘dressing room rebellion leader’ to his repertoire imvho.

43 minutes ago, Ric said:

I thought he brought in both Moravcik and Larsson, but you are right, Larsson came under Jansen, Moravcik under Venglos.

The point sort of remains the same though, he was roundly mocked not because of his lack of managerial prowess but because some Scots journos hadn't heard of him and were too lazy to actually do their job (journos being lazy? No, say it's not true!).

In fact didn't The Sun run the headline that Jansen was the "second worst think to happen to Hiroshima". A headline that even by Sun standards is stunningly lacking in taste.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not somehow tipping Postecoglou for greatness, in general I don't care about Celtic other than when they play us, but I do get a bit pissed off with the way the media and a section of society is very parochial when it comes to foreign managers. In fact, considering the team you support, I might even suggest that ol' Pedro got far more stick because he was from abroad.

As @Forever_blueco corrected me, Moravcik was actually a Venglos capture, but you're point is spot on. I remember him being lambasted basically from the minute he stepped foot on Scottish soil until about 11 minutes into his OF debut.

Think it was Hugh Keevins who wrote the most famous  and damning article relating to Moravcick and his signing to Celtic. 

He reflected on it a few months back when Venglos passed away 

Edited by Forever_blueco