Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

In saying that I do quite like the cut of his gib and how he talks about the game however that doesn’t mean he will be successful but those who know more of him seem to be talking him up a lot.

By the sounds of it he quite enjoys the task of improving sides in turmoil, and doesn't give much of a f**k what people think/say about him.

Celtic maybe fluked their way to success considering Howe was always likely to break down in tears and run back to the seaside at some point.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah one of his biggest issue will be the players. Rangers and Kilmarnock players, particularly the Scots, acted disgracefully under foreign coaches.

His only saving grace is that Brown is gone, but if Kennedy is still there then he'll forever have someone trying to stab him in the back. Add in a media who'll be desperate for him to fail and already have their stories written about who Celtic should have hired, and a fanbase already on the edge of mutiny.

Then also add in an abysmal, bloated, squad with players desperate to leave, a clownshoes boardroom who struggle to get anything done, and barely any time to prepare for qualifers that could define his tenure.

It'll be tough for him to succeed.

I think this is true, but I don't see that same core of "we boss this," player at Celtic Brown is away and with him gone I can't see who in that squad would have the player power to cause trouble? Ferguson and Broadfoot were the obvious culprits in the two example 

1 minute ago, Insaintee said:

I think this is true, but I don't see that same core of "we boss this," player at Celtic Brown is away and with him gone I can't see who in that squad would have the player power to cause trouble? Ferguson and Broadfoot were the obvious culprits in the two example 

Callum McGregor has a rat face, can see him being a wee slug in the dressing room.

18 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

If I'm honest I would say the J league is stronger than the SPFL 

In general terms, I agree, very much so. League One in England is also a better standard overall. Joining one of the OF is a completely different thing, though. Where second place means last place, success in Europe is difficult to achieve, the pressure is intense, and you need to create a great attacking team for the league but a far more balanced (or even defensive) team for Europe and OF matches. Those things don't exclude him from being a success, maybe he can translate his experience over quite well, but it's such a different thing managing over there. 

21 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

In general terms, I agree, very much so. League One in England is also a better standard overall. Joining one of the OF is a completely different thing, though. Where second place means last place, success in Europe is difficult to achieve, the pressure is intense, and you need to create a great attacking team for the league but a far more balanced (or even defensive) team for Europe and OF matches. Those things don't exclude him from being a success, maybe he can translate his experience over quite well, but it's such a different thing managing over there. 

That’s just not true.

3 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Without spouting about how good a coach he is, the style of football or how much he's won in leagues few people watch, can you please answer the following questions?

1. By general consensus Celtic need anywhere from 8 to 13 new players. What has Ange done that suggests he is capable of building a competitive squad in a reduced timeframe in a continent he isnt familiar with?

2. Given that Celtic dont have a DoF in place, would you agree that Celtic need more of a manager to steer the team rather than a head coach type?

3. With there already being a massive divide between the club and the supporters and it being about 7 months since everyone knew Lennon wouldnt be starting this season, would you accept that this appointment will do nothing to appease their support?

Youre obviously a bit of a fanboy of the guy and several people have said he is meant to be a great coach. Fine, you'll know more than me so I'll take that as true. But you surely have to accept there is a huge risk to this appointment. If Celtic dont get their recruitment right this summer they could very quickly end up several years behind Rangers* development wise  if they arent already.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

That’s just not true.

What do you really expect from a Morton fan? They couldn't tell you what decent football is.

Guest TheJTS98
52 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Without spouting about how good a coach he is, the style of football or how much he's won in leagues few people watch, can you please answer the following questions?

1. By general consensus Celtic need anywhere from 8 to 13 new players. What has Ange done that suggests he is capable of building a competitive squad in a reduced timeframe in a continent he isnt familiar with?

2. Given that Celtic dont have a DoF in place, would you agree that Celtic need more of a manager to steer the team rather than a head coach type?

3. With there already being a massive divide between the club and the supporters and it being about 7 months since everyone knew Lennon wouldnt be starting this season, would you accept that this appointment will do nothing to appease their support?

Youre obviously a bit of a fanboy of the guy and several people have said he is meant to be a great coach. Fine, you'll know more than me so I'll take that as true. But you surely have to accept there is a huge risk to this appointment. If Celtic dont get their recruitment right this summer they could very quickly end up several years behind Rangers* development wise  if they arent already.

1. He did it in Japan without having ever worked there before. Do you honestly believe that he just doesn't know anything about football in Europe? I'm not sure you understand how football coaches network and communicate with each other. He spent years working with players who play in Europe, communicating with their clubs, going to conferences and courses like all national team coaches. You seem to think he just knows nothing about Europe. That's a very strange view to have. - And by the way, loads more people watch the J-League than watch the Scottish Premiership. You've got a remarkably insular view considering it's our league that is the small-time one in this discussion.

He's rebuilt two sides and won titles with them. And he stabilised Australia and won the Asia Cup.

2. Celtic are a shambles, that's no question. But I think we saw a very poorly coached Celtic team last season. A case in point was Lennon repeatedly being baffled by Jim Goodwin putting out a side to simply match up. Amateurish. I see no reason to suppose Ange won't coach them better. He's miles sharper than the guy they had in the dugout last year. He's shown this repeatedly. Just because you weren't watching doesn't mean it didn't happen.

3. I don't really think this point matters. Celtic's job is getting someone in who can do the job, not someone Radio Clyde will approve of. We often hear of how clubs should show imagination and avoid the same old obvious names. All the ludicrous shouts for Roy Keane, Jack Ross, Steve Clarke etc showed no more thought than your average Daily Record columnist is capable of. In Ange Celtic can hire a guy who has repeatedly rebuilt failing sides, has a track record of winning trophies, and who fits their style of football. It's their job to sell that to the fans and educate their support rather than just pander to them.

If they hire Clarke, nobody will complain. But there's far less evidence he's right for the job. Celtic should communicate that. Any coach can fail, but the greater risk would be hiring a guy who's never won as a coach before or who hasn't shown that he can rebuild.

Edited by TheJTS98

Guest TheJTS98
9 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Calling it now, this Australian is going to be Celtic’s version of Pedro Caixinha.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

That was my initial reaction but the guys managed in a world cup, Pedro was just barking mad.

Entitled to your views, but wonder what they're based on.

He's literally never done a bad job in his 25-year coaching career.

53 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

1. By general consensus Celtic need anywhere from 8 to 13 new players. What has Ange done that suggests he is capable of building a competitive squad in a reduced timeframe in a continent he isnt familiar with? Don't know enough about his success, but told this is what he did at both Brisbane and Yokohama. Do Celtic need 8 players? or do they just need the players they have to perform to their best + A goal keeper, a winger and a striker. And a defensive coach that knows how to defend set pieces. 

2. Given that Celtic dont have a DoF in place, would you agree that Celtic need more of a manager to steer the team rather than a head coach type? Perhaps there is a DoF  in the mix and this is his choice as coach and he will also be managing the in's and outs. 

3. With there already being a massive divide between the club and the supporters and it being about 7 months since everyone knew Lennon wouldnt be starting this season, would you accept that this appointment will do nothing to appease their support? Yes I would agree, and this is clearly why Lennon wasn't emptied earlier. 

Youre obviously a bit of a fanboy of the guy and several people have said he is meant to be a great coach. Fine, you'll know more than me so I'll take that as true. But you surely have to accept there is a huge risk to this appointment. If Celtic dont get their recruitment right this summer they could very quickly end up several years behind Rangers* development wise  if they arent already. This is bull shit, just last year we were hearing that Sevco were years behind the Tim s in terms of development. There is a very real arguement the league was decided by the sucess of Roof and the failure of Ayetti (or what ever he's called) 

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Entitled to your views, but wonder what they're based on.

He's literally never done a bad job in his 25-year coaching career.

yeah must I admit the more I read/hear about him the more I am encouraged. Just a shame he didnt come in sooner to get up to speed with Scottish football with relatively no pressure.

Edited by gannonball

Watched a few videos about him and done a wee bit of research, unfair to bin him off when knowing f**k all about him.

Seems to set his teams up in a way that some Celtic fans will buy into and certainly has a style of play that looks attractive. Saw a video of a friendly against Peps City where they dominated possession and had over 600 passes, lost the game mind you 😂 however ballsy to try out Pep Pep.

This guy is a risk but so was Howe, he was coming with no guarantees of success either we just know more about him.

Willing to give him a chance and hope he gets it right. Unlike a Keane or Kennedy appoint with this guy I’m not 100% convinced it will be an utter disaster.

Thing that does worry me is will we be able to attract or retain players. Will they come to Celtic to play for Big Ange, only time will tell

Edited by Jinky67

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Watched a few videos about him and done a wee bit of research, unfair to bin him off when knowing f**k all about him.

Seems to set his teams up in a way that some Celtic fans will buy into and certainly has a style of play that looks attractive. Saw a video of a friendly against Peps City where they dominated possession and had over 600 passes, lost the game mind you 😂 however ballsy to try out Pep Pep.

This guy is a risk but so was Howe, he was coming with no guarantees of success either we just know more about him.

Willing to give him a chance and hope he gets it right. Unlike a Keane or Kennedy appoint with this guy I’m not 100% convinced it will be an utter disaster.

Thing that does worry me is will we be able to attract or retain players. Will they come to Celtic to play for Big Ange, only time will tell

I think you need to give him a chance although with McKay’s track record early doors, you might want to wait till the contract is signed first.

The guys done well in the majority of jobs he’s had, albeit none in Scotland, but he’s obviously a decent coach.

People are talking about losing out on Howe as if he’s got the pedigree of a Pep or Mourinho. He’s not, he’s a coach that over his last 4 years at Bournemouth spent more and more money whilst making them progressively worse. He was also out of work for 12 months with no offers from the top 2 leagues in England which is telling.

If Ange comes in though he needs to bin Kennedy - that man is a snake.

18 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

To be fair, the only good thing about this appointment will be the absolute heads gone seethe from Sportsound and the like.

If for nothing else that makes me all in on wanting this.

18 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

14 hours ago, Andre Drazen said:

The ignorance is astonishing. Especially from folk who complain about the same thing from other pundits.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah one of his biggest issue will be the players. Rangers and Kilmarnock players, particularly the Scots, acted disgracefully under foreign coaches.

His only saving grace is that Brown is gone, but if Kennedy is still there then he'll forever have someone trying to stab him in the back. Add in a media who'll be desperate for him to fail and already have their stories written about who Celtic should have hired, and a fanbase already on the edge of mutiny.

Then also add in an abysmal, bloated, squad with players desperate to leave, a clownshoes boardroom who struggle to get anything done, and barely any time to prepare for qualifers that could define his tenure.

It'll be tough for him to succeed.

Did you lot script Sportsound earlier?

5 hours ago, Insaintee said:

If I'm honest I would say the J league is stronger than the SPFL 

A weird comparison there given the SPFL ranges in quality from teams like Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath to teams like Sevco and Hibs.