Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He's a good coach with an absolute commitment to possession based, playing from the back style. Everywhere he's coached it's taken the players some time to get to grips with it and his teams have started slowly, before coming good. Not sure how much patience Celtic will have for that.

3 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

The 'no experience in Europe' chat about someone who has won the J-League, AFC Cup, and qualified and coached for a World Cup, or referring to such a coach as a 'random' is a close relative of English Premier League fan bois never watching Scottish football but then giving it the 'my nan' chat about the SPFL.

Ange's got a good record as a coach and probably has the right kind of personality to manage Celtic too.

He's got a better coaching profile than anybody working in Scotland at the moment. By a distance.

"I've never heard of this guy" does not equal "This guy is a nobody". There are plenty of coaches in Asia you've never heard of who wouldn't touch the Celtic job.

I think some people are vastly over-estimating Scotland's place in the world here.

Sounds like what what said when Rangers appointed Pedro Caixinha. 

The big problem with this type of appointment is that the cultural differences never exist only in the media or within the fan bases. More often than not these left field, success from far afield, appointments turn out to be complete disasters because they have to try to change far too much from within a club. 

I cringed this week when I read something that Stephen O'Donnell had said about Angelo Alessio, but it doesn't take away from the point of the gap that needs to be bridged and the difficultly in achieving that.

There's a big difference between managing in Japan or Australia and managing in Glasgow. Bottom line is that the players will dismiss him as a nobody from the other side of the world if they don't like what he's doing. Like it or not, that's the most likely outcome of this type of appointment. 

Yeah one of his biggest issue will be the players. Rangers and Kilmarnock players, particularly the Scots, acted disgracefully under foreign coaches.

His only saving grace is that Brown is gone, but if Kennedy is still there then he'll forever have someone trying to stab him in the back. Add in a media who'll be desperate for him to fail and already have their stories written about who Celtic should have hired, and a fanbase already on the edge of mutiny.

Then also add in an abysmal, bloated, squad with players desperate to leave, a clownshoes boardroom who struggle to get anything done, and barely any time to prepare for qualifers that could define his tenure.

It'll be tough for him to succeed.

8 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Where? 

You said "big time". Then gave your example as a manager who had won.. Diddly squat. 

He had won the Championship play-offs and had been named LMA Manager of the Year. He was definitely a “big time” appointment for Celtic, IMO. 

4 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

The 'no experience in Europe' chat about someone who has won the J-League, AFC Cup, and qualified and coached for a World Cup, or referring to such a coach as a 'random' is a close relative of English Premier League fan bois never watching Scottish football but then giving it the 'my nan' chat about the SPFL.

Ange's got a good record as a coach and probably has the right kind of personality to manage Celtic too.

He's got a better coaching profile than anybody working in Scotland at the moment. By a distance.

"I've never heard of this guy" does not equal "This guy is a nobody". There are plenty of coaches in Asia you've never heard of who wouldn't touch the Celtic job.

I think some people are vastly over-estimating Scotland's place in the world here.

Some laugh reading wee hipsters who have blatantly never kicked a baw in their lives pretending to know who this guy is.

9 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Id say 3 years at Liverpool and getting them as close to winning the EPL as they ever had at the time while playing some excellent attacking football and having the reputation as a fantastic coach who develops players would be classed as big time in scottish football sense, yes.

Youre not seriously comparing pre-Celtic Rodgers to Wagner, are you?

And he did the envelope trick! Don’t forget the envelope trick. 

Is the funnier result;

a) Celtic fans having to pretend to be happy about getting in a manager they’d never heard of, and the resultant bigging up of him in the press and social media? 

or

b) Postecoglou taking a look at the club, deciding it’s not for him and them getting rejected again?

13 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Is the funnier result;

a) Celtic fans having to pretend to be happy about getting in a manager they’d never heard of, and the resultant bigging up of him in the press and social media? 

or

b) Postecoglou taking a look at the club, deciding it’s not for him and them getting rejected again?

Definitely b)

this will get funnier with each knock-back. 

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Sounds like what what said when Rangers appointed Pedro Caixinha. 

The big problem with this type of appointment is that the cultural differences never exist only in the media or within the fan bases. More often than not these left field, success from far afield, appointments turn out to be complete disasters because they have to try to change far too much from within a club. 

I cringed this week when I read something that Stephen O'Donnell had said about Angelo Alessio, but it doesn't take away from the point of the gap that needs to be bridged and the difficultly in achieving that.

There's a big difference between managing in Japan or Australia and managing in Glasgow. Bottom line is that the players will dismiss him as a nobody from the other side of the world if they don't like what he's doing. Like it or not, that's the most likely outcome of this type of appointment. 

Players will dismiss any manager as a bellend if they don't like what he's doing and the team isn't getting results.

I'm not sure what massive cultural differences you think exist between the Australia dressing room and a UK football team dressing room. And I'm not sure what massive tactical challenges he's likely to face in the SPFL that he won't have encountered at the World Cup, AFC Cup, J-League, or Asian Champions League.

You are aware that he's a native English speaker who has worked extensively with UK-based players?

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, Get_The_Subs_On said:

Some laugh reading wee hipsters who have blatantly never kicked a baw in their lives pretending to know who this guy is.

I've been at dozens of games where he's been in the dugout. Does having heard of someone from beyond Radio Clyde's orbit make someone a hipster?

Ange would be a really interesting appointment. He loves a passing, build from the back game and religiously stuck with it with the Australian national team, trusting it to get results in pressure situations.

He did an amazing job with Brisbane, won the Asian Cup with Australia and the J League too. A great record and I excited to see what he can do if he gets the job

Guest TheJTS98
41 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

I'm looking at Pedro's record and it's NOTHING like this. Not even close. 

I suppose it comes down to the profile Celtic are looking at and their current situation.

Celtic want a coach who can win things. They want a coach who can win things playing good football. They want a coach who has shown he can turn around a club in trouble.

Ange has won numerous leagues, one in a better league than ours, and a continental national team trophy. His teams play good football. He has three particularly successful jobs where he has turned around a struggling side and won something (either a league title or the AsiaCup).

Compare that to Steve Clarke, who most people would accept as a decent candidate for the Celtic job. He's won absolutely nothing as a manager, so we have no evidence he can win a title. He is a good coach at getting the best out of his players, but he doesn't do so playing great football, so we have no evidence he can deliver that. His international record as yet is not as good as Ange's.

So, Ange ticks more boxes. The comparison to someone like Alessio doesn't stand. He was someone coming in after a decade as a number 2 and trying to do this in a foreign language. Ange is a native-speaker of English who has been a successful Head Coach for the last 25 years.

As for adjusting to the culture; I think an English speaker who can successfully enough implement his ideas in Japan to win a league can cope with training Celtic's players.

Edited by TheJTS98

13 hours ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Dunno, willy. We’re still in a better position now than we were under NL

You mean no manager is better than a Neil Lennon manager?

1 hour ago, Orbix said:

Is the funnier result;

or

Genuine plot twist, as there's rumours he might fail to get a work permit due to Brexit changing the criteria.

58 minutes ago, Papad said:

Ange would be a really interesting appointment. He loves a passing, build from the back game and religiously stuck with it with the Australian national team, trusting it to get results in pressure situations.

He did an amazing job with Brisbane, won the Asian Cup with Australia and the J League too. A great record and I excited to see what he can do if he gets the job

Certainly won't be seen as an orthodox appointment. What school did he go to anyway? 

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

Players will dismiss any manager as a bellend if they don't like what he's doing and the team isn't getting results.

I'm not sure what massive cultural differences you think exist between the Australia dressing room and a UK football team dressing room. And I'm not sure what massive tactical challenges he's likely to face in the SPFL that he won't have encountered at the World Cup, AFC Cup, J-League, or Asian Champions League.

You are aware that he's a native English speaker who has worked extensively with UK-based players?

Of course there are differences. Of course there will be major differences in the tactical challenges he will face. 

I know all about Ange as a manager. He's a bit of a character, and not exactly low profile in his role as Australia manager. He managed Erik Paartalu at Brisbane after he left Morton, so I was aware of him from then. His success in Asia is worth very little when translated over into what he will face over here. It's a massive risk because it's an incredibly different task he'll face. They play a very, very different type of football in Australia and Japan. Culturally, the dressing rooms are different. The pressure he would face would be nothing like what he's faced before. You can't take success as if it's in a vacuum, which can then be passed straight over. That's why these type of appointments nearly always fail.