Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 minutes ago, Ric said:

I guess I am swimming against the tide here, but I'd say Howe deciding against the job says more about him than Celtic. He was almost guaranteed European football every year, with the obvious chance of Champions League now we currently have 2 representatives. He'd have been given the green light to gut the team and bring in players capable of competing. The only person he'd effectively be up against in terms of finances, squad size and quality, and facilities are Rangers and Gerrard - I'm not dismissing the best of the rest to cause the OF problems but you know where I'm coming from here. To me this is Howe saying he's not up to that challenge.

Sure, Celtic have chased him, I've not followed the saga at all, and I'm sure there is some fun to be had regarding that, but yeah... the underlying thing here is that it seems Howe doesn't believe he can be a success despite all the advantages he'd have going for him.

Bollocks.

Obviously its just speculation at this time, but not getting his coaching staff in place, literally the first bit of business Howe had asked the board to do, must have put doubt in Howe's mind about the board's ability to get him what he wanted. If they cant agree terms with some coaches for a middling English side, how can he expect them to get his chosen transfer targets?

If he had agreed terms in the basis he would get his chosen backroom team, and Celtic didnt get that through, then that is on the Celtic board and them alone. Why should Howe take a job where he will be front and centre, and whose reputation is ultimately on the line, when he didnt feel he had the staff and help to allow him to succeed?

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Whoever it is absolutely knows they are second choice. At best.

Aye.

Genuinely can't wait to see what pathetic spin Celtic try and put on the inevitably shit appointment they're going to make.

It really is quite funny that the since this thread's creation, the current poll leader, John Hughes, has been hired in the Premiership, achieved his goal, been sacked, and is now currently in a position to take the job once again.

23 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Is a hero at Brisbane Roar. Turned the club around and won the title. I'd be upset to see him at Celtic, but he does fit the bill.

Did a great job with a generation of Australian young players as age-level coach and has been at a senior World Cup in 2014, where Australia did well in a tough group, and then won the Asian Euros, if you will.

Also a J-League winner.

I have no idea about the standard of the Australian or Japanese leagues, but what you describe is someone who would be a risky left field choice for a Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen, never mind a Celtic side in dire need of instant reconstruction.

Appointing a guy who has never worked or played in Europe would be a monumental risk for Celtic both in terms of success on the pitch and approval of their fanbase. The time for that type of appointment was exactly when they made one when they appointed Deila. 

Guest TheJTS98
9 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I have no idea about the standard of the Australian or Japanese leagues, but what you describe is someone who would be a risky left field choice for a Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen, never mind a Celtic side in dire need of instant reconstruction.

Appointing a guy who has never worked or played in Europe would be a monumental risk for Celtic both in terms of success on the pitch and approval of their fanbase. The time for that type of appointment was exactly when they made one when they appointed Deila. 

There's no chance he'd look at Hearts or Aberdeen.

He's coached well at a World Cup and qualified Australia for the next one before quitting the job. As I said, he also won the AFC Cup (Asia's Euros) as Australia coach. The only time they've done that.

The J-League is a good standard and he won his club's first title in a generation. He's a very good coach. He's got a level of experience that puts him well beyond the reach of a non-OF club. The job he did in making Brisbane back-to-back champions was also a total salvage job.

He also fits the Celtic myth in that his sides play attacking football.

There's a huge European bias in UK football, obviously. But this is a serious coach with a good record. Celtic would do well to hire him.

He's certainly got a record that is above that of a Deila.

No reason for Big Ange not to be in the picture if Steve Clarke is.

Edited by TheJTS98

6 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

There's no chance he'd look at Hearts or Aberdeen.

He's coached well at a World Cup and qualified Australia for the next one before quitting the job. As I said, he also won the AFC Cup (Asia's Euros) as Australia coach. The only time they've done that.

The J-League is a good standard and he won his club's first title in a generation. He's a very good coach. He's got a level of experience that puts him well beyond the reach of a non-OF club. The job he did in making Brisbane back-to-back champions was also a total salvage job.

He also fits the Celtic myth in that his sides play attacking football.

There's a huge European bias in UK football, obviously. But this is a serious coach with a good record. Celtic would do well to hire him.

I am in no position to question the guys ability as a coach but as I said before, he would be a huge risk for Celtic at a time when they cant afford to be taking unnecessary risks. Yes, I get that every managerial appointment is a risk, but signing a guy who is unlikely to have many contacts in the European game strikes me as a risk too far unless they manage to get someone experienced in beside him. With direct qualification for the Champions League next season, there is a lot of pressure for Celtic to get this right. The same goes for if they appoint Kennedy.

It wouldnt be as big a risk if Celtic had the DoF they've apparently been after for a couple years in place and a development and signing strategy already in place. But they dont - otherwise his appointment would be an interesting one.

If I was a Celtic fan, his record wouldnt fill me with much confidence. Winning leagues in Australia or Japan and losing 3 games at a World Cup (hard group though it was) doesnt really register any more than someone like Deila winning the Norwegian league. The board's relationship with fans wouldnt exactly be boosted by his appointment.

Guest TheJTS98
30 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I am in no position to question the guys ability as a coach but as I said before, he would be a huge risk for Celtic at a time when they cant afford to be taking unnecessary risks. Yes, I get that every managerial appointment is a risk, but signing a guy who is unlikely to have many contacts in the European game strikes me as a risk too far unless they manage to get someone experienced in beside him. With direct qualification for the Champions League next season, there is a lot of pressure for Celtic to get this right. The same goes for if they appoint Kennedy.

It wouldnt be as big a risk if Celtic had the DoF they've apparently been after for a couple years in place and a development and signing strategy already in place. But they dont - otherwise his appointment would be an interesting one.

If I was a Celtic fan, his record wouldnt fill me with much confidence. Winning leagues in Australia or Japan and losing 3 games at a World Cup (hard group though it was) doesnt really register any more than someone like Deila winning the Norwegian league. The board's relationship with fans wouldnt exactly be boosted by his appointment.

I think that's an unfair summary of his time as Australia coach. They were in probably the hardest group in 2014 and were generally considered to have done well. He had to play Ryan McGowan at right back, FFS. He then followed that up by winning their first ever AFC Cup and qualifying them for 2018. Delia's done nothing like that.

The A-League is a weaker league, for sure. But so is the Scottish Premiership. And Ange turned Roar around completely from a shambles to back-to-back champs without being able to spend loads of money like Celtic can.

It's hard to measure these things accurately. But my best comparison is that this is the equivalent of a coach having won the Slovakian and Belgian leagues as well as having been a really successful national team manager. Celtic would definitely look at a coach with that profile.

Steve Clarke's last job was finishing 3rd in Scotland with Killie and he got Scotland to the Euros by the play-off route. That's fine, but it doesn't put him on a level above Ange.

I don't think contacts really come into it in the traditional sense. Big clubs don't recruit like that. ETA: And anyway, as an ex-Australia national team manager, I'm pretty sure he'll be well contacted in Europe. It's part of the job. His 2014 squad had plenty of players at European clubs. It's not like he'll never have visited or attended conferences etc. He's a known coach. People in the game will definitely know him.

Edited by TheJTS98

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Ange Postecoglou has been installed as the bookies favourite. Currently managing in the J-League.

Pretty sure his name popped up in dispatches when we were in peak Banter mode

Edited by KnightswoodBear