Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's a well established fact that every single one of Aberdeen's league titles are tainted and should have asterisks next to them, on account of the corrupt manner in which they joined the top flight.

Thank you Craig.

Aberdeens medals are indeed tainted, while their arch-nemesis Mr Durrant’s medals remain unblemished.

The evidence is clear for all to see.

Anyway, getting the thread back on topic, there are a few rumours about Fergal Harkin being appointed DoF very shortly. Will presumably have an impact on the manager search.

Might not be a popular decision in the short term if it means Celtic miss out on Howe (there’s no guarantee that it would, but he seems to have his own ideas there), but I think it’s the right one. Your sporting director is more important than 2-3 years of a manager. If you believe in a guy, get him in no matter what.

4 hours ago, G51 said:

The evidence is clear for all to see.

Anyway, getting the thread back on topic, there are a few rumours about Fergal Harkin being appointed DoF very shortly. Will presumably have an impact on the manager search.

Might not be a popular decision in the short term if it means Celtic miss out on Howe (there’s no guarantee that it would, but he seems to have his own ideas there), but I think it’s the right one. Your sporting director is more important than 2-3 years of a manager. If you believe in a guy, get him in no matter what.

Agreed. It makes logical sense to get the DoF in first, as they would presumably be responsible for the footballing ethos and would hire a manager to execute that vision. I might be remembering this incorrectly, but was Harkin not paired with Keane in previous rumours? 

6 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Agreed. It makes logical sense to get the DoF in first, as they would presumably be responsible for the footballing ethos and would hire a manager to execute that vision. I might be remembering this incorrectly, but was Harkin not paired with Keane in previous rumours? 

Enzo Maresca also.

15 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I would suppose that the Maresca option would have you breathing a wee bit easier? 

For me absolutely, I have zero desire to see to Keane anywhere near us and he has done absolutely nothing to deserve being part of the conversation.

Maresca would be a gamble also however he was highly regarded at West Ham by the players and in the city setup he will be expected to embed Peps philosophy into the development squad so that transition to the first team is seamless, I don’t imagine for a second that will be easy either which says to me this is a guy who can coach. 

There is also the added benefit of him not being Irish, an ex player or in any way Celtic minded. 

Edited by Jinky67

14 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

For me absolutely, I have zero desire to see to Keane anywhere near us and he has done absolutely nothing to deserve being part of the conversation.

Maresca would be a gamble also however he was highly regarded at West Ham by the players and in the city setup he will be expected to embed Peps philosophy into the development squad so that transition to the first team is seamless, I don’t imagine for a second that will be easy either which says to me this is a guy who can coach. 

There is also the added benefit of him not being Irish, an ex player or in any way Celtic minded. 

Aye, anyone who has been managed by both Brian Clough & Alex Ferguson & came away from those experiences believing that tactics weren't important is a massive red flag.  I'd imagine Sky & the sports editors' ideal appointment would be Keane, going on the Man U/Liverpool, Keane/Gerrard dynamics.

I remember playing once of the old CM games, may have been 00/01 or 01/02 and Enzo Maresca was something like on loan at West Brom from Juventus and someone else.  He had dual ownership or some shit.  Was strange.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I remember playing once of the old CM games, may have been 00/01 or 01/02 and Enzo Maresca was something like on loan at West Brom from Juventus and someone else.  He had dual ownership or some shit.  Was strange.

Co-ownership wasn't phased out of Italian football until the end of 14-15 season when it was banned by the FIGC.  How it worked as per wikipedia:

For a co-ownership to be set, a player needed to be signed to a team and have at least two years left in their contract. It worked as a regular transfer, except that the selling club would keep the aforementioned participation rights, i.e. the rights to 50% of the player's value. Unless the deal was terminated early by mutual agreement between all the parties involved, the two clubs had to agree on whether to renew or terminate the deal at the end of each season. In case they failed to reach an agreement by the league-wide deadline, the issue would be resolved via a blind auction. If the bids happened to be equal, or if none of the clubs submitted one, the full rights to the footballer would go to the club with which the footballer was registered (i.e. the club that acquired the footballer in co-ownership and not the one that kept the participation rights). When a player was under the co-ownership of two teams, he could still be sent on loan to a third side, provided that all the parties involved agreed on the move. The club owning the "rights of participation" was allowed to transfer them to another club, still provided that the all the other parties involved agreed.

Edited by GNU_Linux

9 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

What are the latest rumours? 

Still Howe

Ongoing negotiations regarding his back room team and things are edging closer. Reported Howe wouldn’t come in until after the end of the season which is rumoured to be something to do with his pay off from Bournemouth and the conditions attached to it however there are a lot of nervous people around Celtic just now as season ticket renewal time is imminent. 

The Richard Hughes coming in as DoF doesn’t look likely due to him committing himself to his current project and reservations about moving his family to Glasgow so Harkin looks the best bet. Peter Grant has just left Alloa and has a connection to Howe so is this a sign he may be part of the team? Also rumours Mark Burchill will be coming back in a coaching capacity also.

So right now the most likely combo is Eddie Howe with Fergal Harkin as DoF

Edited by Jinky67

11 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I was thinking any chance of Howe had gone, if thats correct then id be well happy with  that

I'm constantly misreading your username and thinking it's someone who has a weird fetish for the Big Red Machine.