Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Personally I don’t have a particular preference and if it needs to be Hughes then it needs to be Hughes. There is an established relationship there and this should hopefully help us get up to speed quicker so in Celtics case is does make sense.

I understand he’s still employed by Bournemouth so delay could also be to do with negotiating some sort of compensation for him.

Twitter noise is suggesting there may be a Palace opportunity however I really don’t see what that offers him challenge wise other than the obvious fact that it’s Premier League. They are unlikely to ever break into European places whereas with Celtic he has an opportunity to overthrow Rangers and get a crack at the Champions League but is that enough?

It’s the south of England . He supposedly didn’t adapt well to Burnley whilst up there .  Don’t get me wrong I’m sure Glasgow as a city is a more vibrant and interesting place than fucking Burnley but he seems to have picked up the reputation of getting easily homesick following his Burnley stint. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

3 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

It’s the south of England . He supposedly didn’t adapt well to Burnley whilst up there .  Don’t get me wrong I’m sure Glasgow as a city is a more vibrant and interesting place than fucking Burnley but he seems to have picked up the reputation of getting easily homesick following his Burnley stint. 

Pretty sure that was also to do with his mother passing away while at Burnley. Saw an interview with him with Gary Lineker where he spoke of his mum and how she brought him up as a single parent etc and how it understandably seemed to affect him quite badly. 

Edited by Jinky67

12 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Twitter noise is suggesting there may be a Palace opportunity however I really don’t see what that offers him challenge wise other than the obvious fact that it’s Premier League. They are unlikely to ever break into European places whereas with Celtic he has an opportunity to overthrow Rangers and get a crack at the Champions League but is that enough?

Apart from OF fans who cares about winning the Scottish league. It is only ever the same 2 horse race. Why would someone not from Scotland care about overthrowing Rangers? Do you care about overthrowing Zagreb from the Croatian league?

ie Palace, I read that Hodgson is on £4.5m a year. What would Celtic offer?

Surely if Howe comes to Celtic it is to re-establish himself like what Rodgers did as they offer more exposure than say an English championship side but I think if an EPL job comes up it would be hard to turn down as surely the aim of doing a good job at Celtic is to get another job in the EPL?

10 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Apart from OF fans who cares about winning the Scottish league. It is only ever the same 2 horse race. Why would someone not from Scotland care about overthrowing Rangers? Do you care about overthrowing Zagreb from the Croatian league?

ie Palace, I read that Hodgson is on £4.5m a year. What would Celtic offer?

Surely if Howe comes to Celtic it is to re-establish himself like what Rodgers did as they offer more exposure than say an English championship side but I think if an EPL job comes up it would be hard to turn down as surely the aim of doing a good job at Celtic is to get another job in the EPL?

I'm sure if he was offered a managers job at a top Croatian club he'd probably care about overthrowing Zagreb.

21 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Not if he was also offered a job in the English top flight he wouldn't. 

Maybe in your view.

But I don't think it's too far fetched to say that the potential of challenging for the title and regular European football might tempt someone away from a relegation battle/mid table finishes, especially as he's just been through that with Bournemouth.

22 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

What it means was the start of the skulduggery and the moving of the goalposts every time something happened.
Making shit up as the game went on,Celtic were allowed to go to Dubai aye nae probs on you go,to justify the 13 players being told to self isolate we needed to use 6 buses to go to Ross county but Aberdeen only needed one to come to Celtic park. Celtic were jumping through hoops other teams didn't wear. 

See the source imageSee the source image

21 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The point still stands,Higher risk or pretend bubbles,moving the goalposts and the skulduggery telling clubs one thing and doing another. 

See the source image

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Maybe in your view.

But I don't think it's too far fetched to say that the potential of challenging for the title and regular European football might tempt someone away from a relegation battle/mid table finishes, especially as he's just been through that with Bournemouth.

What does almost double the wages tempt him to do?

Hodgson is on around £4.5m, Lennon and Gerrard are/were on around £2.5m.

21 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Is that a bad thing? With 51 titles, more 2nd places, the most Scottish cup final appearances, the only Scottish club to reach 3 European finals and the only Scottish club to win the European cup with the most famous team in Scottish football it would suggest we have been the most competitive team in the history of Scottish football 

Add that to the Uk record for longest unbeaten run of competitive matches, record for longest unbeaten run of home games, fastest European hat trick in European football, world record for most consecutive appearances in a major cup final, largest victory in a domestic cup final and the record for most consecutive wins in both the league and Scottish cups.

Oh and we have never been liquidated 

Wonderful tradition indeed, thanks for pointing it out 🙂

Aye, but what about the fastest African hat trick in European football?

55 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Maybe in your view.

I do really think that some in Glasgow, and to a lesser extent Scotland in general , don't seem to grasp just how uninterested in Scottish football and the tedium that is 'the Old Firm' English people are. I've lived in Newcastle and I've lived in Kent and in my experience, not universal I accept, when it comes to the game up here they just don't care. Howe may well come for the money or a perceived route back to the premiership a la Rodgers, but I don't believe the 'lure' of challenging for a championship he probably considers meaningless or being embarrassed on an annual basis in Europe will be what brings him to Parkhead.

2 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

I do really think that some in Glasgow, and to a lesser extent Scotland in general , don't seem to grasp just how uninterested in Scottish football and the tedium that is 'the Old Firm' English people are. I've lived in Newcastle and I've lived in Kent and in my experience, not universal I accept, when it comes to the game up here they just don't care. Howe may well come for the money or a perceived route back to the premiership a la Rodgers, but I don't believe the 'lure' of challenging for a championship he probably considers meaningless or being embarrassed on an annual basis in Europe will be what brings him to Parkhead.

I've lived in England and I do know what you're talking about. They don't give a shit

However, I think you need to distinguish between a football manager within the game and the average punter in England who loves nothing more than to sneer at the Scottish game if ever asked.

Howe may well not have spent much time caring about Scottish football prior to 2021 but I bet it does hold a level of attraction beyond what you are thinking. Most managers are pretty arrogant too, so I doubt he sees it as a prospect of being embarrassed in Europe, but something to achieve in.