Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just stuck a tenner on Andre Villas-Boas. 
Absolutely no idea if he would even be interested, but he fits the bill in terms of an out of work manager with decent experience in various European leagues and would be out to prove a point given his career has stalled over the past few years.
If its not going to be him winning me money, I really hope they go for a proper banter appointment like a Kennedy/Strachan dream team or bringing back O'Neil.
Wouldn't go well when Ntcham returns from his loan deal.

20 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Drawing games and then winning a couple by 1 goal =ragdoll

😂

His league record against Rangers was P8 W4 D3 L1, which is an absolute pounding by anyone's measure. As far as I'm aware, winning a game by a single goal still gets you the same number of points as winning 5-0.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

His league record against Rangers was P8 W4 D3 L1, which is an absolute pounding by anyone's measure. As far as I'm aware, winning a game by a single goal still gets you the same number of points as winning 5-0.

Aye he had a good record against us overall, not once in any of those tightly contested games did Killie ragdoll Rangers though. 

Of course you still get the same points, winning 2-1 isn't a pumping where as even 3-0 could be considered so. 

1 hour ago, thruthenight said:

As long as they don't come sniffing around big Davie Martindale then I'll be happy.

Lampard would be a laugh just for the narrative, and possible. Benitez would be entertaining if they could pull it off. Guarantee they'll hire Jack Ross.

Isn't Martindale about 5 foot 6?

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Aye he had a good record against us overall, not once in any of those tightly contested games did Killie ragdoll Rangers though. 

Of course you still get the same points, winning 2-1 isn't a pumping where as even 3-0 could be considered so. 

The ragdolling didn't relate to a single individual match, it was more of a long and sustained ragdolling over a two year period, that's fair.

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Clarke’s Kilmarnock won 15 points against Rangers. Rangers won 6 points. That’s a ragdolling in my book.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Celtic are on course for over 80 points in a season where they've been completely mismanaged from start to finish. Not sure any Rangers fans should be cocky about anyone semi-competent being brought in.

They finished with over 80 points in the Tony Mowbray season too.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

With all due respect, Celtic (and Rangers FWIW) are proving grounds for untried and untested managers. That's where these clubs are in modern football. Both Deila and Lennon (1st time round) were unproven managers when they arrived.

The two teams are just in a position where if they go for an unproven manager, they can take a punt on ones that are more likely to be a success.

ETA: The Sporting Director is the more important appointment when it comes to the rebuild anyway. He will have far more influence on it than the manager will.

Deila wasn’t an untested manager he had spent 6 years as  manager in Norway prior to Celtic done very very well. I’d go as far to say if Deila was brought back in instead of Lennon we would still be in a title race

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The ragdolling didn't relate to a single individual match, it was more of a long and sustained ragdolling over a two year period, that's fair.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Clarke’s Kilmarnock won 15 points against Rangers. Rangers won 6 points. That’s a ragdolling in my book.

I'll accept diddies have a lower standard of what ragdolling is, I imagine a rottweiler with a toddler you guys are thinking of a 12 year old labrador with a squeaky toy. 

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Deila wasn’t an untested manager he had spent 6 years as  manager in Norway prior to Celtic done very very well. I’d go as far to say if Deila was brought back in instead of Lennon we would still be in a title race

counterpoint: the norwegian league is absolutely shite, so shite in fact that Deila was effectively untested.

And I highly doubt even the miraculous Ronny Deila would have kept Celtic in a title race where Rangers record is P30 W26 D4 L0.

4 hours ago, G51 said:

If Celtic keep the coaching situation in flux through May, then people absolutely will renew season tickets. There's a waiting list to replace the very small minority of fans that won't renew because John Kennedy is still there. Season tickets are a social thing for a lot of people, they don't need much convincing to renew.

Of the contenders listed, Kennedy makes the most sense:

Clarke - would have made him the favourite but the timing doesn't work. He almost certainly won't give up a crack at the Euros and the chance to become a national hero. Jumping for Celtic before that would make him the most hated manager in Scotland, and I don't think he could really handle that. Celtic need a manager well before July.

Howe - possible, but family circumstances mean it's unlikely. He's also said no to it already, or else he would have been in in November. Also, he's a renowned control freak, so if Celtic are serious about the sporting director role he isn't the man.

Roberto Martinez - maybe? Would be a bit left-field but I could see it.

Benitez - has already ruled himself out by saying he wants to go to a Premier League team.

All of the rest of the options on the bookies list aren't any better punts than Kennedy is.

Aye, but he's one of those who think it's still called the SPL...