Favourite City

wee_bairn

Living here in usa usa usa I have to chip in with my tourist guide views.

Depends what you want, if youre after a fit bird who loves your accent then college towns are all worth a look. American girls seem to see college as some ritual where you get pumped silly then after you marry some finance guru, settle down and live in a suburb and go to Starbucks every day. Too many to list really but Bloomington Indiana and Lawrence Kansas are both a lot of fun.

For a fun drinking weekend I'd say Cincinnati (or across the river in Newport/Covington Kentucky to be more precise), Asheville, North Carolina (bit off the beaten track) and any of the 10 largest cities which would also give you other entertainment options. Denver is very picturesque but like Austin has been overrun with the likes of me who just moved here 2 years ago.

The hidden gem in San Diego for me is Ocean Beach. Kind of like Venice Beach just less freaky and more surf culture with great bars and a pier with the best views of sunsets and remarkably free of tourists (no large hotels helps a lot).

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/12/2020 at 02:38, BillyAnchor said:

Living here in usa usa usa I have to chip in with my tourist guide views.

Depends what you want, if youre after a fit bird who loves your accent then college towns are all worth a look. American girls seem to see college as some ritual where you get pumped silly then after you marry some finance guru, settle down and live in a suburb and go to Starbucks every day. Too many to list really but Bloomington Indiana and Lawrence Kansas are both a lot of fun.

For a fun drinking weekend I'd say Cincinnati (or across the river in Newport/Covington Kentucky to be more precise), Asheville, North Carolina (bit off the beaten track) and any of the 10 largest cities which would also give you other entertainment options. Denver is very picturesque but like Austin has been overrun with the likes of me who just moved here 2 years ago.

The hidden gem in San Diego for me is Ocean Beach. Kind of like Venice Beach just less freaky and more surf culture with great bars and a pier with the best views of sunsets and remarkably free of tourists (no large hotels helps a lot).

We had a great time in Asheville lovely little city, we spent a few weeks driving around the Carolinas and Tennessee would love to go back some day, really enjoyed Charleston as well.

4 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

We had a great time in Asheville lovely little city, we spent a few weeks driving around the Carolinas and Tennessee would love to go back some day, really enjoyed Charleston as well.

Charleston is great though I went in August when the humidity was hell.

• 4 months later...
On 24/12/2020 at 18:30, Torfason said:

Munich is probably the best city I have lived in. Lots to see and do, great beer halls and really friendly locals. Plus it is really well located for visiting other places/countries. Some other great cities are lesser known places like Lugano in Switzerland, Vitoria in Spain and Varese in Italy that were beautiful and not full of tourists.

In the US, most big cities are fine but none really stick out except LA that was just a freak show, so I would say the best town I have visited is LaJolla , just up from San Diego. It is a stunning place and gets a lot less tourists than most.

I really like Munich but I think it's the easy access to the Alps that appeals to me. Spent a few weeks there during the summer and a fair bit of time down in Garmisch Partenkirchen around the Eibsee. Paradise.

On 03/12/2020 at 19:29, virginton said:

San Diego is one of the few US cities that seem enjoyable to live in. Superb weather, plentiful Mexican-influenced cuisine and beers and the city is condensed like a European city by its geography.

Share your views on San Diego being an amazing city, donut bar also some of the best donuts ive ever tried! We stayed on a hotel over on shelter island and it was incredible, watching the sunsets as the military helicopters buzz about etc. Really friendly people, cool museums and the food is incredible.

On 17/12/2020 at 20:43, Savage Henry said:

San Francisco and Austin are my favourites in the US.    Far more enjoyable than New York, to my mind.  

Always felt comfortable in Tokyo and Paris, and enjoy Barcelona in the warmer months.  

Austin is brilliant, really laid back, cool city, amazing food and south congress is a brilliant place to hang out. 
My fave city in the states is Nashville with DC a close second. 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Share your views on San Diego being an amazing city, donut bar also some of the best donuts ive ever tried! We stayed on a hotel over on shelter island and it was incredible, watching the sunsets as the military helicopters buzz about etc. Really friendly people, cool museums and the food is incredible.

Austin is brilliant, really laid back, cool city, amazing food and south congress is a brilliant place to hang out. 
My fave city in the states is Nashville with DC a close second. 

DC is great if you have any interest in politics or history. I feel like I spent a week in the National archives going through the Cuban Missile Crisis declassified documents. 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

DC is great if you have any interest in politics or history. I feel like I spent a week in the National archives going through the Cuban Missile Crisis declassified documents. 

Its kinda like an american paris in terms of layout and building style? Georgetown was a fantastic wee bit to walk about at night too! Did a tour of the capitol (trying to keep it american with the spellling) building and that was cool, the museums on the mall were fantastic too, loved seeing princes’ guitar in the smythsonian. Basically felt like i was in a Tom Clancy building, everyone running about like whatever they were doing was the most important thing ever. Loved the energy of the place. 

• 3 months later...
On 19/12/2020 at 04:33, AmericanFan said:

We're unfortunately becoming a bit like Prague in that it was better 10 years ago because now too many people are coming here and development is getting rid of the places/vibe that people move here for.

Still a great place, but the best time to live here was probably 15-20 years ago.

Austin was fantastic 20 years ago. I was living in Kerrville back then, working as sports editor of the newspaper. Didn't get to spend a lot of time in Austin, but it was a great place to visit. Certainly one of the best towns to visit if you love music.

Great thread. I enjoyed reading all your thoughts on all the great cities I wish I'd visited when I was younger. 👍

One city I love here in the States is New Orleans. It truly is just one big party, but there's so much more than the French Quarter. A city that might surprise you is Pittsburgh (I grew up south of there in the 60s and 70s when it was a dirty steel city, but it's really transformed itself). Haven't done a great deal of world traveling, but I have a lot of fond memories of San Jose, Costa Rica.

57 minutes ago, C. MacLeod said:

Austin was fantastic 20 years ago. I was living in Kerrville back then, working as sports editor of the newspaper. Didn't get to spend a lot of time in Austin, but it was a great place to visit. Certainly one of the best towns to visit if you love music.

You saw it in its prime, then. 1995-2007 was probably the ideal time to be here.