Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

Meet the Team - FC Botosani

4 stars is "good player for most Liga 1 sides" 3 stars says "should be considered a leading player for most Liga 2 sides"

ziqZC8H.png

A good start with two very decent strikers in Chirila and Haluzan, although I think both of them are quite similar players so may not complement each other too well.

PkQJIDV.png

SIgartau is the boy that in my Tabor Sezana side a while ago and has been on a succession of loan moves since then. We also have a good left winger, but right wing is fairly weak and we're quite reliant on loan players in a few positions here which I'll need to address for next season.

4ErS1wJ.png

Not ideal. I'm ok at right back, and I can pull together a passable centre half pairing with Stancu and Velcea, but I have no depth there and left back is really poor. There's definitely work needing done here.

jgrlfcw.png

And here. Rus is probably fine for just now, but I'm completely fucked if anything happens to him.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You've probably said (and done) this before, but are you managing a team even if they've won the league since this save started?

Idea is that each of my titles will be the club's first, so any league wins, real or in-game, mean a team will be off limits.

9 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I hope Thistle haven't won anything, don't want your grand finale ruined.

hiRMWil.png

A handful of sixth placed finishes and a solitary fourth place aside, I don't think there's any danger of that...

The only sides to win the league in Scotland since the save started are Celtic (32 times), Rangers (39 times), Hibs twice and Hearts once. No-one else has managed to make the top two either, with only a couple making the top three - Dundee United most often. 

April 2095

sq4HdRO.png

I was in charge for all of these, and it's been a steady, if unspectacular, start. We were pretty comfortably beaten by the top two sides in the league, and probably should have done better against Gaz Metan and Astra Giurgiu as they're both bottom half/section (I'll get to that) sides. A great win against Academica and another decent one against Vitorul too.

I'll take it.

7EDPxPF.png

Right, so here we go. The 16 team league plays out 30 games, and then splits into a top 6 and bottom 10. The teams in the top 6 play each other twice, while the bottom 10 play each other once, so it works out to 40 games for everyone. Also, for some reason, you go into the split with half the amount of points you had. There also seems to be a European Places Playoff of some kind, but I can't work out which teams qualify for that. 

May 2095

EE6FJ32.png

A decent end to the season for us. A good win over CFR Cluj started us off, before an alright draw with FCSB, and a disappointing one with Academica.

The Univesisitatea win was outstanding. It was the game after they secured the title, and we scored pretty much every time we went forward while they were pretty wasteful, but it was lovely nonetheless. Good stuff overall.

l1uIKfz.png

And so we'll be playing in the Europa Conference League next season. FCSB had a total collapse which really helped, but good stuff for us.

iCd5csd.png

And for completeness, this is the bottom section of the table.

• 2 weeks later...

Europa Conference League - Second Qualifying Round - 2095

Spoiler

0vnc9ET.png

That'll do, and will almost certainly be enough to see us through to the next round. Sanchez is a new signing, and Avacantei is a 17 year old who I'm giving a run in the team, so it's nice that they both got on the scoresheet.

Astana didn't really threaten us once, so I'd be astonished if they did much in the second leg

Spoiler

u3TC4Qo.png

An absolute nothing game of football which I'm sure everyone in attendance immediately regretted going to. f**k all happened for 90 minutes.

But that suited me, and we head through to the next qualifying round.

IHDZfD3.png

And we'll be playing AIK of Sweden in the next round.

A tougher assignment than Astana were.

Europa Conference League - Third Qualifying Round - 2095

Spoiler

85k1kaz.png

A great away win. Both of my new wingers got on the scoresheet, and we were very, very good overall. Completely deserved the win. Could have been 3-0, but we had another one disallowed.

It's put us in an excellent position to go through, if we can do the same in the home game then I'll be delighted.

Spoiler

ZVOATOE.png

Ooft we properly got away with one there. Completely fucked the game up, and probably deserved to lose by more than two, then we really scraped through extra time and shouldn't have made it to penalties.

Once we did get through to penalties though - perfect. Two saves, while we were Scotland-esque in the shootout. Wonderful.

CAi0lB4.png

And we're playing Kazakh side Tobyl next. I think we've got a decent enough chance of making the group stages.

Europa Conference League - Fourth Qualifying Round - 2095

Spoiler

RlUpoBq.png

I was utterly shellshocked at being one down at half time. We were pretty clearly a better side, but they caught us out and it took us a wee while to get over the set back and get back into the game. But, at half time we re-grouped and the second half was pretty convincing for us and we should be able to get through from here.

Spoiler

dtUatip.png

Switched off a bit at the end of the game, but we're going to the group stages baby.

I1YDULq.png

And after that, this is the group we've been given. It's an odd group - there's no team I'd expect to be miles ahead of us, but there's probably three really solid teams there. Basel and Brondby will be favourites to go through I'd think, but we'll see how we do. 

Transfers 2095

fbORdjj.png

NhvdVKF.png

Ip4gqNU.png

Inexplicably, I found that there was a fair amount of team who actively wanted to give me relatively decent sums of money for players whom I considered to be total deadwood. Like, Vlad Chivu was an absolutely nothing youth player, Cristian Negura was a winger who managed three appearances last season and Fertea was my fourth-choice centre half. The only sale which is probably questionable is Patache to Lazio - he's young and could grow into an excellent striker. If I was playing the long game here, I'd have kept him. But I'm not, so take the money and move on.

Got a few youngsters out on loan as well, which should be good for them. And the two boys I released - one still doesn't have a club, the other is in the third tier so no losses there.

wWcLHb1.png

And here we go with the incoming players. For the first time in a while, I'm with a club who had a reasonable amount of cash to spend so I have very much enjoyed that.

Angelos Spachis is a goalkeeper, and my new first choice. He's just a very solid, though unspectacular, keeper. His signing had already been arranged before I turned up, so this one isn't on me, but I'm happy enough with it.

Spoiler

T6QmTw8.png

Matias Sanchez was my signing though, and I'm very pleased with him. Technically excellent, very hard working and dictates the tempo of a game - sign me up. Still young enough to get better as well.

Spoiler

ymW2J9n.png

Mario Kocuvan was signed by my director of football and was agreed before I even noticed it was happening to be honest. He's a good enough right back and provides a level of cover there which I didn't have before so again I'll take it. Plus, he didn't cost a huge amount.

Spoiler

gHgGwZB.png

Pierandrea Patta is a right midfielder, and I think he has a lot of potential. He's very quick and can beat a man well. His end product isn't quite what I would like it to be, but for a young midfielder rocking up in Romanian football that's surely to be expected. He can get there though.

Spoiler

gojAyJB.png

Carmine Motta is another Italian winger, and this time plays on the left. He's a bit slower than Patta, but probably technically superior (other than his crossing which is abysmal). He is a guy who was a regular in the Serie A for a couple of seasons, so I have high hopes.

Spoiler

i0J7ca4.png

Carlos Carvallo is a centre half, and my second Chilean of the window. A very good physical player, he's a bit technically limited but should still do fine.

Spoiler

jQmc7wm.png

William Chivalran is a central midfielder, and if I'm honest I probably overspent for him after missing out on a number of other players I wanted. He does, however, bring a bit more bite to my midfield and is also decent technically so I'm not disappointed.

Spoiler

8YvjDXk.png

Judas Ntshangase is the striker I signed to be third choice after Patache left, and he's (currently) a better player than him. A great first touch, great technique and that trait "likes to lob keepers" is music to my ears. Should be more than good enough to do a job when needed.

Spoiler

bpskxfe.png

So that's my squad. If I'm honest, I really could have done with a new left back as well, but none came along so fine. Will be looking for one to bring in in January. 

July 2095

cxfxwP9.png

A solid start to the season, although I'm having doubts about how entertaining a side we're likely to be. Andrei Andrei is a highly rated young player, and he's had an interesting start to his career with a great winning goal in game one, followed by a completely insane red card in game two which thankfully didn't cost us.

cN7QOs6.png

A long way to go, but there's the early standings.

August 2095

rhVS4VW.png

And another solid enough month in the league, although again we were probably a fairly dull watch. Still, we're picking up points and the team is still gelling together, along with European fixtures thrown in.

kssepzl.png

We're doing fine at this stage, although those draws may come back to haunt us.

We haven't really had to play against anyone who I'd regard as a big hitter yet either, so not sure how we compare to those sides. 

September 2095

BDSK0w4.png

4 points in the league, we scraped a draw against Jagiellonia and then were unlucky not to manage another one against Brondby. I'll call it a decent month, on the basis that I think both those European sides are better than we are, and we've had a reasonable amount of injury problems to deal with.

6VbpPfN.png

Starting to fall behind the top couple of teams a bit, but we're still doing well overall.

YdmdoeD.png

And it's been a tricky start, but still a fair few points to play for here. A couple of wins should do us. 

October 2095

DcCqBn7.png

Domestically, not a great month. Cluj, Vitorul and Universitatea Craiova are probably the three best sides in the country just now, and we've shown that, while it's not a huge gulf, we're definitely a little bit worse than they are at this point in time.

Through comfortably in the cup though, which I'd like to win, and we got a draw in Basel - has to go down as a very good result.

daZOXJy.png

We've slipped a bit further behind the top sides now, and I don't think we'll be in contention for the title. If we can manage another European place, I'll be pleased.

3tCWfnH.png

Three games to go here, and, while we're bottom, it's a very tight group and we have a chance. Both Basel and Brondby still have to come to Romania so with some luck we can win those and that should do us. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow