Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

Meet the Team

4 stars is a leading player for the division, 3 is "operating at 1. delid level"

HUyRz4J.png

That's good, two good strikers and some others who are fairly average in reserve. Probably won't look to improve this too much, will focus elsewhere.

ZTgK6gU.png

The wingers are both good, I'm pleased with that. I need a new attacking midfielder though. That's my main priority at the minute.

2XnYCRC.png

Centre midfield is pretty weak, so I'll be looking to bring in new players for this. If all goes to plan, none of these players will be getting a regular game in centre midfield when the season starts.

cwRK7WO.png

I probably need a starting centre half, and some cover, but overall my defence is decent enough.

nWs9cWL.png

Second top priority is a new goalkeeper. This is pish.

League Cup 2039

elU9d2A.png

As always, the Icelandic season starts with the League Cup. As a second tier side, we're always unlikely to achieve much in this competition, but good to see how we're looking before the important stuff starts.

None of my new players joined in time for the first two games, but overall I'm pretty pleased with this. 6 points against clubs in the same league as me, and a draw and two fairly narrow losses against the top tier sides. Decent enough I'd say, and I'm not arsed about going out because the only thing I care about this season is promotion.

PtSr6y8.png

Aye, best of the lower ranked sides, and comfortably ahead of a top flight side in KA as well, so that's nice. Still over a month until the league season starts, but the team seems to be shaping up nicely. 

Transfer Window 2039

VFo1JDq.png

Two outgoing players. Made a combined total of 5 appearances last season, both are dropping down the leagues. Catch you after, boys.

uToFuMX.png

I though we needed a fairly major overhaul. so I've signed plenty of players. 

Starting with the only one I've spent money on, Bajram Laci joins from my old club Gjilani. I tried to sign a few guys from Gjilani, but the club either said f**k off to my offers, or the players asked for 2 grand a week - my top paid player (Laci, as it happens) is on 600 a week. Anyway, he's a centre half who can lay football a bit, which I always find useful, and he can also cover in centre mdifield.

Spoiler

Re22eco.png

Now for the free transfers. Runar Alex Eyjolfsson is a midfielder, and is a decent enough passer but nothing special. He's here to provide depth to my squad, and will mostly be sitting in the stands or on the bench.

Spoiler

B2rVuQI.png

Hordur Bjorgvin Jafetsson is my new number 1. He's good enough for the time being. My plan is that, upon promotion, I'll bring in someone else and he'll be relegated to the bench, but yeah, he should do for now.

Spoiler

pkKvA8D.png

Adam Ingi Magnusson is a right back, who can cover at centre half and, in an emergency, left back. He's good defensively, but doesn't really offer much going forward. That said, at this level it does tend to be one or the other, so here we are. He's fast though, which could be useful.

Spoiler

glGj5OT.png

Halldor Kristjan Viktorsson is a centre half, and like Eyjolfsson, he'll hardly play if all goes to plan. He's solid enough though, so good to have him.

Spoiler

CCDCVNR.png

Ingvar Ragnarsson is my second choice attacking midfielder. Has good technique, but he's just very average at everything. Still, I had absolutely no options in attacking midfield before, and he provides that, so good stuff.

Spoiler

ulTPMGS.png

Kristofer Karl Ottesen becomes one of my first choice centre midfielders. He's young, has a good work rate, good decision making and just generally looks pretty decent. Pleased with this.

Spoiler

VE6hqUQ.png

Ivan Oli Asmundsson is my other starting centre midfielder, and he's here to play the "win the ball and give it to someone else" role. He looks like he should be able to do that pretty effectively.

Spoiler

wQsSEs0.png

Marteinn Petur Hjaltsson is my starting attacking midfielder, or he's planned to be at least. Pretty good technically, and if he "tries killer balls often" then at least he should be exciting, even if he doesn't achieve much. I'm sure he'll be fine though.

Spoiler

HIHie8K.png

Lastly, I know I said I didn't need a striker, but I liked the look of Andri Karlsson so here we are. He looks to have all the right stats to be a fairly decent goalscorer, but his actual record throughout his career is dreadful (19 in 122 games). Maybe he'll just click here though, and we'll have a good striker on our hands. If not, I still have other players who are capable.

Spoiler

F5MHoW3.png

May 2039

jwxu8Eq.png

We should have beaten Selfoss, we were absolutely dominant but just couldn't score. I think if we'd scored one, we'd have won by a couple but it didn't happen.

Rest of the month went fine, two decent wins and a draw where we should have won comfortably, but threw it away at the end. Cup games were straightforward.

DCKKTld.png

Good enough start. Hopefully we can sort out our defence a bit, as we score plenty but cant keep them out. If we do that, I think we're going up fairly comfortably.

June 2039

19A7hjb.png

Out of the cup on penalties, but other than that a pretty excellent month. Only conceded one league goal, 4 wins out of 5 in the league. We probably should be beating sides like Vikingur, but I won't complain too much - it was an appalling match all round, and they almost scored right at the end, so I'm just glad we never lost.

rLEFIRa.png

Almost at the half way point and we remain unbeaten, but too many draws have seen us unable to create a huge advantage. Still, all I'm looking for is top 2, and we're certainly on course for that. 

July 2039

C1l7e52.png

Can't complain with that. Three pretty average performances to start us off, but we still picked up 7 points and then got back on track at the end of the month with some great displays.

7IYovxm.png

The season is only 22 games long, and we're already 7 clear of 2nd, and 8 clear on 3rd. I think we should be going up.

August 2039

gHpTXeh.png

That was the first time this season that we've had a really properly shite spell, with 4 points from 12, but we seem to have just about made it through that and, whilst the last 2 wins were slightly unconvincing, we got them. 

fIPo6uR.png

Only 2 games left, and we're 5 points ahead. It would take a monumental effort for us to f**k this up. Kari and Stjarnan left. 

Matchday 21

N9jre9d.png

IIwMxqg.png

Feels a bit anticlimactic, but we've done the job, and we're still on course to win the title as well.  Does mean I can relax in the final game, as our performances  have fallen off a cliff recently so I'm delighted that it doesn't matter too much anymore. The title would be nice, but we're going to the top flight regardless. 

September 2039

hMo8uj8.png

That's what happens when they need a win to have any chance of promotion, and we're already on our holidays in the fjords. Just didn't bother our arse. Our form was absolutely atrocious since the start of August. 

ra6Eo5q.png

Limped over the line. Prottur (I think that letter is actually Th, but f**k it) lost to Keflavik, so we're up as Champions. We were 12 ahead of Stjarnan with 8 games to go...

First lower league title of the save though.

zJvgZxO.png

jh45m07.png

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

League Cup 2040

eSJUcI2.png

Once again, this started before any of my new signings arrived, and that seems to be what's done us in. 4 very comfortable wins once they arrived. There's no guarantee we'd have done anything against HK with them, especially as they seem to be quite a good side, but still.

gjKDkcK.png

Knocked out by that loss. Oh well, always next season.

Transfers 2040

jQ5oDFC.png

zO4Uqth.png

A complete no mark released, and a 16 year old joining a different youth team. No loss there.

ofoksLZ.png

Quite pleased with the incoming players.

Will start with Richard Claridge, who now has played for me for 4 separate clubs. Since he was released by Gjilani, he was willing to accept 200 odd quid a week, rather than the 1.5k he asled for last season. He's ok enough, not one of my star players but he'll be my main attacking midfielder and I like him. This'll probably be the last time I sign him though, he's not really improved all that much since breaking through at Boca, and I'm starting to get towards leagues where you actually need to be pretty decent.

Spoiler

inuaVwG.png

I said last season that my plan was to sign a new goalkeeper, and that man is Sindri Hrafn Asgirmsson. He looks good, and is the current Iceland under 21 keeper. Certainly an upgrade, and probably the best I could have hoped for.

Spoiler

ZAdDtek.png

Gunnlaugur Bjarnason is a new centre back, and occasional left back. He's an improvement on the guys I had in both those positions last season, which is good, but I'm planning on having him at centre half to try to stay solid this season. We had the best defence in the second tier last season, so hopefully keep that up.

Spoiler

pmazFow.png

Suwita Kurnia is a cracking striker. Genuinely looks outstanding for this level. Fast, good movement, good first touch and good finishing. He should score a few goals. He's also already done this in his first 4 games, so settled in pretty nicely...

jz1eIqI.png

Spoiler

ggeXC5I.png

Jean Paul Galea has swapped Malta for Iceland, and becomes my first choice left winger. He allows me to play my other left winger in his better position at right wing, and looks pretty decent. I think he might lack a bit of end product, without great crossing or finishing, but should be fine for Icelandic football.

Spoiler

Kymv5GH.png

May 2040

9Wn92YJ.png

Decent enough start, KR and KA were both midtable last season, while Brieðablik were 2nd, so we're about where I would expect us to be. An 121st minute winner to send us through in the cup was lovely stuff as well.

BTFtPWA.png

Solid start. Haukar appear to be pish, and fellow promoted side Stjarnan aren't looking great either, so we should be looking good to stay up, and anything else is a bonus. 

June 2040

B3Gorby.png

Bit of a mixed bag this month. We started well, admittedly against the worst team in the league, and then kind of fell off a cliff. We were playing some quite good sides, and it would appear that we're absolutely nowhere near them quality wise. We were also missing a couple of players through injury, most notably Kurnia, so that didn't help, but simply not good enough. Really need to improve my defence in particular it would seem.

ZxiUNur.png

Mid table, so that's good enough for my first season up. I'll be happy with anything from 10th upwards, so we'll see what happens. Just need to try and sort ourselves out a bit.

July 2040

I said I needed better options in defence, so I've brought in two new players. First up, we have Michael Smith, a centre half. He's spent the bulk of his career drifting around either the Scottish League One or League Two, most recently with Dumbarton.  A very limited player, but he can defend reasonably enough. Will go straight into the first team.

Spoiler

6YxT3aI.png

Next up, left back Neil Clarke. Despite the name, he's a Luxembourger, has 92 caps, and has spent his whole career in the Luxembourger leagues. His end product is very poor, but he's decent on the ball and defensively - if he could cross he'd be nowhere near me. Very quick as well. I'd say he's probably one of the best left backs in the division, so that's helpful to have.

Spoiler

1HbEywA.png

GcRUNpN.png

Another mixed month, although the only really bad result is losing to KR - Fylkir are one of the better sides in the league, so no surprise to lose to them twice. We also came back from 2-0 down against Brieðablik which is the first time I've gotten a positive result against one of the leagues better sides. Kurnia also got his first league goal, at long last, hopefully he starts managing it regularly now.

qWtPOvu.png

Best of the bottom half,. As I said, Stjarnan and Haukar are pretty shite, so we should be staying up, but I don't think we'll be doing much beyond that.

August 2040

Fixtures.thumb.PNG.e45b953989bbfb31a5d0d8637501fe85.PNG

Mixed, again. We absolutely collapsed after conceding with about 10 minutes left against Valur - they had a fourth disallowed as well. I switched my tactics up to try to make us a bit more solid, and it didn't work against IBV, but did against Haukar and Fylkir - the Fylkir result is the first time I've come from behind to win a game this season, and the first time I've beaten a top side. Really pleasing.

Table.PNG.fe5e4f96a3e0b9ef75ebff870a656929.PNG

Those two wins mean that we are officially safe. We also can't win the league anymore, but that was never on the cares. Just need to try to pick up a few more wins in the final month of the season, and build for next season.