Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

DaOE0zK.png

Next up - Gibraltar. Was planning on going back to have another crack at Andorra so it isn't hanging over me, but no jobs available there and this seemed like my best bet from the available jobs elsewhere. Fun fact: This club no longer exits in real life, having had their license revoked by the Gibraltarian FA in December 2020 for failing to fulfill their fixtures.

Anyway, this is a challenge. In both Estonia and Wales I got teams who were already among the best in the division, and in San Marino I benefitted from a farcical league structure. This, however, is the season that's just finished in Gibraltar...

IsO35fw.png

Seems we're a bunch of Brechinesque diddies. Brilliant.

Meet the Team

Allegedly, 4 stars is a good player for our division, 3 is a decent player for it.

EH7KzgP.png

That's a promising enough start. Not a lot of depth, but a couple of decent options.

WxOb48S.png

That could be an issue though. Noone in the entire squad being able to play at left wing is something I don't know that I've seen before, and my right winger is pish too. A good attacking midfielder though, so that's something.

KVxxiX4.png

Well, excluding Clinton as I'll be playing him further forward, we have some decent players here. I'm quite pleased with this to be honest.

zH7ktNb.png

I only have one decent centre back, which is problematic. We're ok enough at right and left back, but could do with some improvements.

Q7bYHkE.png

And my goalkeepers are pish.

Well, on paper at least, I don't think it's as bad as I thought they'd be. But obviously there's a reason they've just gone through a season without winning a game. Work needed at any rate.

Transfers - 2030/31

L9uLku4.png

No outgoing players, and only two players coming in. It was a struggle to find anyone to join, and the few who were interested and good were usually signed by someone else pretty quickly.

Anyway, Craig Gardner comes in to play left back. I had a decent left back to begin with, but he was also required at centre half so this boy lets me do that. He's objectively a shite footballer, but he'll do for this nonsense level.

Spoiler

75ZXOxq.png

I needed someone - anyone - who was capable of playing at left winger to give me that option, and this was it. He's absolutely shite, but he's young and I'm paying him f**k all, so it's fine.

Spoiler

FYKmVc6.png

Not as much improvement as I'd have liked, but f**k it, this was the best I could do.

August 2030

8PnD9o3.png

Hmm. We were 2-1 up against College 75 until the 87th minute, which was a bit of an irritation, and the Lions game was an absolute shitfest. No shots on target for either side.

ZKWHVHA.png

It seems the league works by everyone playing each other once, then it splits in half for 10 more games.

September 2030

0nvCgUw.png

We'll call that mixed. We had more shots, more chances and more possession against Glacis, but they scored with all of their shots on target. But then we actually won a game, with a last minute goal. Means I avoid going a season without a win, which was looking a distinct possibility.

I've also never seen a run of form as bad as this for a striker...

lRwpYep.png

Thirty two games without a goal.  f**k sakes.

EuEqR9G.png

One more point and I've matched last season, but we'll see what happens.

October 2030

quOJmCb.png

I'll take that. Lincoln are the best side in the division, and have won every game by at least 3 goals this season, so we did fine in that regard.

Bruno's Magpies are supposedly our derby game - The Ocean Village Derby - so beating them so convincingly was absolutely delightful. They'd 2 goals disallowed and a man sent off, but still very pleasing.

GXThuGB.png

Almost a third through the season and we're solidly mid table.

December 2030

63xR4PW.png

Only one game this month, and we lost again. Again, Europa Point are a better side than we are, so I'm not too bothered. At least we scored.

2trtITP.png

Again, I'd take this. Anything but bottom would be an improvement.

Bit annoying that Glacis United beat us 4-1 early in the season given they've turned out to be a really poor side.

January 2031

With the transfer window open, I managed to make a signing which should provide a slight improvement, but nothing special. Charlie Marks is a young goalkeeper, he's not very good but he's already better than the nonsense I've had playing this season, and unlike them he has the potential to get better. We'll see how that pans out, but I'll be throwing him in straight away.

Spoiler

N95scCs.png

9aAt36b.png

Only one game this month, in the Gibraltarian Cup. As we finished bottom, we had to play FC Hound Dogs, the only senior team who plat outside the National League, with the under 21 sides. Beat them fairly comfortably, and into the next round we go.

FiftT5C.png

A game we have a chance in - all I could ask for really.

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Are you able to take control of one of the better teams in the league if you get the chance? Or have they all already won the league?

Of the current top 5 who seem to be quite far ahead of everyone else, neither Lynx nor Europa Point have won it, so if I can I'll jump ship to one of them.

February 2031

EuYc9gK.png

We absolutely fucked it against St Josephs. 2-0 up with 6 minutes left, they had 10 men and we absolutely fucked it. Furious. Then we got put out the cup, before our final pre-split game saw us beat Manchester 62. 

We beat them again a week later, and then lost to College 75'. Zak fucking Rudden scored a hattrick. Seems his career has gone just swimmingly...

Spoiler

O9q5eq5.png

Great use of nearly 20 grand by Dunfermline...

JTdjbT4.png

Annoyingly, we were only a point behind 6th place when the split came in, and if we'd held on against St Joseph's we'd have snuck our way into the top half.

As it is, we're bottom half, I think we'll probably be 10th at worst, but we'll see what happens.

March 2031

3vSg1x2.png

Pretty good month, we really should have beaten Lions too. Missed a penalty in that, but we scored a 93rd minute one against Magpies to grab an undeserved equaliser. 

XOFntvx.png

4 games left, and we can theoretically finish anywhere from 12th to 7th, but I'd be amazed if we're anything other than 8th to 10th.

I also got my youth candidates this month, which gave me the below:

Spoiler

8kKHu9o.png

16 years old, and already he's comfortably my best player.  Will be a struggle to keep him, but he'll be good to have for as long as I do.

May 2031

8VQikKP.png

And our good form to end the season continues. We conceded in the 93rd minute to fail to beat Lions, but then we got a last minute goal against Magpies to make up for it.

xdSB1cH.png

Means that we finish up comfortably in 7th. Lincoln Red Imps are champions again, for the 10th time in a row. They scored 88 goals in 21 games, and only conceded 7, so they're a bit too good for the division. Still, I'll need to overcome them if I'm to finish Gibraltar so here we go.

Anyway, assuming I don't get a new job, that gives us a decent platform to build for next season.  We've also been given a much higher wage budget, so hopefully be able to build a better team.

Transfers - 2031/32

yLbWjSO.png

Just one signing. I tried to sign other players, particularly centre halves, but they all decided to go elsewhere, so here we are.

Craig Galliano is a centre midfielder with 65 caps for Gibraltar. He's pretty decent technically, in an attacking sense at least, but he's poor defensively. Still, he improves on what I had, so that's something.

Spoiler

Wz8Buqd.png