Brannigan Crisps RIP

Ludo*1

• 1 month later...

Good thread. Had forgotten about Highlander crisps.

I have just had a nostalgic chuckle about the time I played golf at the Glen in North Berwick, and my guest was an engineer I'd worked with at Ferranti's before he took up a job offer in the US. Since he's been working over there, his handicap had come down to scratch, or maybe plus 1;and he was back in Scotland on holiday so he was keen to tackle some of the familiar tracks with his improved game. He'd always been very good company, very funny, and a good line in mock outrage and ranting.

He didn't have any gear over with him, and I didn't have a full spare set, but I managed to borrow irons from an old flatmate and I had enough other bits to put together what he needed.

The irons I borrowed, however, were sweetspot-free bars of pretty plain metal, attached to completely unresponsive shafts. Middle of the clubface with a 7-iron was going to ring your hands every time.

I picked up Charlie (for that was his name) drove to NB, then sorted him out with his kit. Very grateful noises, up to the point he saw the irons: "Highlander? They're no' golf clubs, they're fuckin' crisps!" I thought he was genuinely furious, rather than mocking it up.

Charlie then knocked a 3W into prime position at the 1st, walked up to his ball and selected an 8-iron. He's still not smiling, and I'm still feeling a bit bad. He addresses his ball, lifts his head and calmly looks me in the eye. "I'm expecting this to be a crisp shot!"

... and I relaxed.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

San Carlo are garbage. Their rustica are passable but their standard crisp is flavourless. Italians love their crisps but it's the only part of their culinary ecosystem they are utterly shite at.

Never had them in years (since my old job meant visiting Highlander). Thought they were decent back then though.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
20 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:
Never had them in years (since my old job meant visiting Highlander). Thought they were decent back then though.

They may well have been, another theory could be that the ones made in Scotland are good but the ones from Italy are shite.

Maybe but I can’t compare them. Despite having been to Italy I’ve only ever had the San Carlo’s that used to be made in Bathgate. 

• 11 months later...

Anything mustardy, crisp-wise, is fucking sensational.

Tesco’s Finest used to do a Beef Steak and Spiced Mustard crinkle cut variety that were absolutely sensational.

I could swear Aldi or Lidl did their own sort of variety that tasted just as good. Miss those things like mad.