Euro 21 (22) Qualifiers

Lurkst

42 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Maybe I’m just annoyed about the manor of the goal we concede do and thinking back to the Argentina game, but Lee Alexander is the weak link in the team imo. The GK position is one we lack in. Fife and Lynn wouldn’t fill me with confidence either though 

Agreed, Portugal and Finland were both better in the goalkeeping positions.

To rub it in England have a great red haired keeper called Sandy MacIver.

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Maybe I’m just annoyed about the manor of the goal we concede do and thinking back to the Argentina game, but Lee Alexander is the weak link in the team imo. The GK position is one we lack in. Fife and Lynn wouldn’t fill me with confidence either though 

Have thought this for a long time. Jenna Fife is a far better option. Has performed well in the games she has played and also now full-time. Build for the future. 

I’m afraid we got what we deserved. Three toothless performances up front and defensively we are always weak. Such a disappointing campaign. 

Edited by roverthemoon

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Jeez none of those names fill me with hope. Maybe Kerr will get a reprieve and use the “covid isolation” as distributing plans and not being able to influence the game by being there (yes I know she would have been in contact during the game but it’s  nit the same)

The not being able to score line would be acceptable if we were like the men’s team and didn’t have quality players upfront. I’d say in players like Cuthbert, Little, Weir, Evans and to a lesser extent Ross we should be scoring every game we play in a qualifying group like the one we were in 

I think Scott Booth has done really well at Glasgow, they're competitive in Europe against full-time professional clubs and they've remained imperious at domestic level while losing good players and seeing their rivals improve. There would be foreign managers interested in the Scotland job too, we have some world-class players and there's an opportunity for someone to take Scotland to a World Cup and into the knock-out rounds for the first time. I've been watching the matches on Alba with the sound on the radio and Gemma Fay knows her stuff, I don't know if she's done her coaching badges though.

This team absolutely should be able to score goals and one of the key tactical mistakes IMO has been to play our best players further back than necessary. Cuthbert's been playing a withdrawn role at Chelsea, but only because she's supporting one of the best goalscorer in the world there. She's our best finisher and needs to be getting into the best positions. Weir has been playing like a quarterback, which suits her passing ability, and Kim Little has been playing as a standard 8. But neither of them are in a position to consistently get forward and cause damage in the final third. The effect of all three being in relatively withdrawn positions has been to make us reliant on less capable players to get the goals, and that has very obviously failed. 

It's tempting to look at the last half hour of that game against Finland and say "oh, we were unlucky not to score" but that all came after we'd thrown caution to the wind and it was not the original tactics. We were set up to control the game and that's not worth much if you don't score.

It's not just the tactics, the players look anxious and afraid. We can't know if bevvygate is still playing a part but if it did, this is what it would look like.

We need change because we cannot afford to lose any more momentum. The credibility and improvement of the women's game at every level has been driven by the success of the national side. We're now probably going to go into a World Cup qualification group in a lower pot and another failure to qualify will really harm the growth of the game. 

Looking through the online newspapers at lunch there. Couldn't find a single report on the game. 

It's not going to help performance progress with that level of profile for such an important qualifier.

Edited by Lurkst

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I notice Kenny Shiels has got Northern Ireland's women into the play offs.

Lovely guy, nice to see his positive approach to management having some success. 

Lovely guy? Obnoxious outspoken twat more like.

I hope they get absolutely humped in the play offs....

• 2 months later...

I don’t think they are even playing all that well, some of them are making a few poor errors, and Cyprus nearly scored. Although some are just clearly a few levels above the Cypriots

Might see a bit of a drop off with us being so far ahead in the 2nd half