Albion Rovers v The Binos

Next up for the Binos a short trip to Coatbridge to face a Rovers side who are back in action for the first time in 2 weeks due to the Corona Virus.

Fingers crossed the game games ahead and that the Binos can get on back to winning ways after a poor performance last week at home to Elgin.

Prediction can’t see anything but a Binos victory but you never know. [emoji3]

Didn’t watch the game today as I really have had enough of pixellot’s coverage of games as I have yet to see a good one (sorry Albion Rovers, nothing personal), however I’m delighted to pick up the 3 points and keep up the good form.

Thought the commentary today was outstanding. It's not what you'd typically hear on broadcast media, but I thought it hit the tone of the game perfectly. Donnelly had obviously done a wee bit of homework, and even though they were obviously catering for a home audience, they managed not to be biased to a notable degree.

Top stuff!

On the football, Rovers were significantly better than I thought they'd be, but I thought we deserved the win. Contrived to make it difficult for ourselves by missing a slew of second-half chances after being lucky to be up at the break.

1 hour ago, Raving On said:

Thought the commentary today was outstanding. It's not what you'd typically hear on broadcast media, but I thought it hit the tone of the game perfectly. Donnelly had obviously done a wee bit of homework, and even though they were obviously catering for a home audience, they managed not to be biased to a notable degree.

Top stuff!

On the football, Rovers were significantly better than I thought they'd be, but I thought we deserved the win. Contrived to make it difficult for ourselves by missing a slew of second-half chances after being lucky to be up at the break.

Pretty much this.

Rovers looked decent, to the point where Cammy Binnie had to make a couple of brilliant saves and also be sharp off his line to clear the danger a few times. But we had enough chances, especially at the start of the second half, to win the game. And that's before Andy Ryan hit the under-side of the bar too. On the balance of play I think it was a fair result and good to get back to winning ways after a poor result against Elgin last week.

I enjoyed the commentary and thought the two lads were entertaining. Just about made up for the sketchy pixellot camera work.

14 hours ago, Raving On said:

Top stuff!

I agree with almost all of that. However, I thought our play merited a draw, whilst accepting that you don't tend to get much if you don't put the ball in the net.

Ciaran Donnelly was very good, and provided a level of insight that put the professionals on Sky etc. to shame; his stories were a hoot as well. Scott Chaplain, another Rovers' stalwart, did it a few weeks ago and tried his best but he was nowhere near as good as Ciaran. This despite the fact that its Chappie who holds the coaching badges and was always thought of as the brains of the outfit, with Ciaran being the daft laddie. I suspect we'll get John Gemmell soon; that will be entertaining!

Performance wise, we were much better and denied by an excellent goalkeeping performance. I thought we'd be really rusty post-COVID scare, especially as we were pretty poor before but there's signs of improvement there both defensively and in terms of creation. The left back (18 year old Finn Ecrepont) was the stand-out for me. An absolute cracker of a player but only on loan until Jan; here's hoping Ayr don't take him back until the summer. 

As for Stirling, we frustrated them a bit but they did have lots of chances. Any team with Andy Ryan should have a good season at this level, although I suspect full-time Queens Park will not be catchable

Cammy Binnie had to make a couple of brilliant saves and also be sharp off his line to clear the danger a few times.

Although I didn’t watch the game yesterday, the other week, I did wonder if we were starting to see the young Goalkeeper that showed such promise a few years back returning? I’ve been really impressed with Binnie so far this season and it would seem he has re-established himself as Number 1 for now. Good to see and hope he kicks on.

Scott Chaplain, another Rovers' stalwart

What a player he was, any idea what he is doing with himself (in football terms) these days Aloysius?