The Mighty QP vs Clay Davis's Team

Thought we had to work real hard for our 3 points today. I thought Stenny matched us in most departments for most of the match, limiting us to few chances.

At one point I couldn't imagine where we'd get a goal from, as all our good play brought few clear cut opportunities, it was that tight.

The subs were the game changer, as Stenny couldn't handle the change brought about by the fresh legs and the front three of McLean,McHugh and Murray; who looked the real deal for all of his 15mins, bringing the best out of those around him. Long may that continue.

As this league looks like being pretty tight, with plenty of goals today from the teams just behind us.  Lets hope our injury list doesn't get any longer and Murray avoids any setbacks to what has been, for him, a lengthy spell out.

There's a fair way to go yet before counting any chickens, but so far so good.

Quitongo was unplayable at times today ...very excited...he deserved his motm. Murray was also fantastic when he came on ...so looking forward to going back to seeing the games at Hampden.
Great to have someone with the ability to beat his man on a regular basis [emoji106] but final ball still a work in progress!
Any idea why Grant and Carroll missing today?

2 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

What’s with the Gretna chat from people? I don’t see the comparison? One is a sleeping giant with a rich footballing history, ready to re-emerge like a Phoenix. The other some borders club! Is it just a jealousy thing?

Jealousy and poor Scottish fitbaw patter mate. Anyone with an investment gets the Gretna label. Our history and tradition is incomparable. 

Spending money to be successful is fine. Spending ludicrous sums that you cannot sustain is not. Gretna were very much the latter.

Queen’s Park are presumably being sensible? I did wonder how a club with, say, attendances of 700 can afford to be full time and sign someone like Simon Murray but I’m hoping it’s all cool? Educate me please spiders. 

26 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

Spending money to be successful is fine. Spending ludicrous sums that you cannot sustain is not. Gretna were very much the latter.

Queen’s Park are presumably being sensible? I did wonder how a club with, say, attendances of 700 can afford to be full time and sign someone like Simon Murray but I’m hoping it’s all cool? Educate me please spiders. 

Why?

24 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

The Gretna situation collapsed because the investor died suddenly and his kin weren’t prepared to continue spending. The same could happen to QP. The players budget is paid by Willie Haughey. If he loses interest, it may very well be a scary time. I’m not the guy to advise if he’s tied into a long term deal etc.

The decision to go pro, for me anyway, was to move up the leagues rather than slip into lowland league. I don’t think any QP fans voted for glory. That’s not why you support a club like QP. I don’t think you’ll see us in any Scottish cup finals soon for example 😂

Our home attendance is only around 500. Hamilton, St Johnstone and Ross County for example all have low crowd numbers but compete at a higher level. Ticket sales isn’t the staple for how competitive you can be (although a big ticket gate does help).

I voted for the change but I am cynical at times and wary. I don’t like to get carried away. I get concerned at what happens when the investment stops and we have high wages to pay. That said, we are in the central belt, we have a crackin history and about to enter our new ground. QP have a lot to offer and I believe we can establish ourselves as a championship/league1 outfit. 

I hope that helps :)

Just watched the highlights - good strength and goal by Biabi,  Ryan Waters is definitely not a full back, we will have to get some cover for our defence.  Quitongo had a field day against Waters but would have been interesting to see his against Yeats.  Munro, after a couple of good performances,  failing to pick up a man at the first, almost gifting a second and lack of control caused the third, he was maybe pushing up for an equaliser but ultimately cost us.

QP with Murray and McHugh look formidable.

We must put Brechin to the sword next week, 1 win in the last 5 league games is not going to keep us in contention, we need to be able to close out games which we have not done recently losing too many late goals when we should have been comfortable.

15 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

We're being donated money. We're spending what we can afford to spend. If the money stopped being donated, we'd obviously change model and continue to spend what we could afford. 

Unlike Gretna, we were in a healthy financial position even before Willie Haughey became involved. We're also receiving money for Hampden, albeit a good chunk will he spent on Lesser. 

He's not some guy who has just appeared from nowhere. He's a serious businessman with a reputation for heading up successful projects, as is Leeann Dempster, who I would imagine is going to take us to another level off the pitch. None of these people are going to want to come out of this with their names tarnished. 

No club in our position would knock this back. None. 

The competition in midfield will be fantastic once Carroll and Slater have returned. Forgot to mention it on my previous post but I thought Gillespie was outstanding in midfield once again and he is gonna be incredibly unlucky if he’s replaced next week by Carroll. Just unfortunate for him that carroll seems the real deal. 

Thought Stenny had done their homework and stopped the full backs Robson, in particular, and Doyle hammer up the wings.  You could see them up in the top four on the basis of this performance.

Quitongo darted past his man everytime, but the final ball sometimes lacked a bit.  He is really exciting to watch though.  Gillespie great and McHugh stepped up a level, but Murray was a joy to watch as was his interview.

In the long term, the key for the Club is to achieve a sustainable model over the period of Willie Haughey's investment.  Presumably that is Leeann Dempster's remit.

Exciting times; without the investment, though, we'd be tussling with Brechin and the Rovers near the bottom of the division.  No one wants that.

Edited by Hampden Diehard