Elgin City v Cowdenbeath

11 minutes ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Not that I disagree in this instance but a literal interpretation of “lunging at an opponent” would mean at least 90% of all sliding tackles resulting in a red card! 

if you're sliding you can't be lunging.  Totally different from jumping into a tackle.

54 minutes ago, MorayCup said:

The ball travels that way because Bronsky hits it off Clarke when his foot goes through the ball and then the player's ankle, it wouldn't loop up in the air that way otherwise

It doesn't. Clarke hits the ball just before the defender connects with him and it deflects off the defenders leg (not the other way round). The defender then goes right through Clarke.

33 minutes ago, Cowden41 said:

Really shocking and both feet were off the ground a real thuggish challenge lucky to get away with it

That’s different from accusing the defender of knowing  what he was doing .  You are entitled to your opinion but suggesting he deliberately injured  another player 

Edited by GMB

53 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Think the Cowden management team have had many issues with Gavin Ross in the past which wouldn't have helped! 

The Cowdenbeath management team have had issues with numerous referees and other teams benches the past few years. 
Gavin Price was defending his player as Bollan, as usual, was subjecting the officials to a tirade in an attempt to get his player sent off.

Firstly I hope the Cowdenbeath player makes a speedy recovery. As far as the game is concerned Cowdenbeath dominated the first 20 mins and only excellent defending kept them out. Once Elgin scored however the result was never in doubt. Elgin’ pace with Hester and Sopel exposed a slow Cowdenbeath defence. McHale was unlucky with the first goal as it swerved a lot but was clearly guilty for the second. It happens!  Best for Elgin were the back 4 , Kane and Sopel. Rory struggled as did our support striker who was rightly substituted. I also thought Brian Cameron had a much better game.

I suspect the quality of the league is lower this year. It was great to be back in the ground and congrats to everyone at Elgin for their organisation  and hard work to make it possible

1 minute ago, Only coo in the village said:

No doubt if a Cowden player had gone through an Elgin player like that and shattered his ankle their take on the tackle would be different.  Looks reckless to me at the very least. Could end the boys career.

I'm pretty sure the Cowden fans take would be completely opposite as well though. 

Truely horrible to see a player injured like that. Was great to get back into the ground but seeing a young player leave in an ambulance has obviously soured the experience quite a bit. Hope the lad can make a full and speedy recovery!!

Given Cowdenbeath’s injury list I was hoping for an easy game but I thought they were the better team for the first 20-30 mins. We couldn’t seem to get into the game and could easily have been a goal down by the time we scored. Very good header from Sopel for the second week in a row. Poor defending and a tidy finish from Hester settled the nerves and from 2-0 we looked reasonably comfortable. Loads of space out wide second half made an easy outlet to ease any pressure and Hester’s composed finishing killed the game.

It may be quite a while until attending gets back to normal but surely every club could get those number of fans in safely with minimal risk and should be given the same chance - I had much more “close contact” in Asda after the game!

If Davie Cox committed that challenge, it'd be a straight red. On that still image, both of the lad's feet are off the ground and so he's lost control. As soon as two feet leave the ground when lunging into a challenge at speed, it's usually a straight red, no matter if the opposing player ends up with a shattered ankle or not.

4 hours ago, MorayCup said:

I think this Screenshot along with the Trajectory of the ball after the challenge confirm he got the ball and then the man, just one of those things we often see in football. Really unfortunate for the guy, I hope he makes a speedy recovery

screenshot - 2020-11-28T173310.666.jpeg

A good tackle in the 70s

Now it’s excessive force and not in control so red card.

More to the point, where the f**k is the referee, was he away for a pie ?

3 hours ago, Left Back said:

Lots of people clearly have no idea of the laws here.  The still image someone posted show he's got both feet off the ground so is therefore jumping into the tackle.  He's also moving at pace.  At that point you're deemed out of control.

Law 12 states 

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play".

When you break someones leg you've clearly endangered their safety.  Jumping into a tackle at pace is also excessive force.  Getting the ball first matters not a single jot.  I don't think he intended anything but it's a clear red card all day long.  The referee has had a shocker.

Hope the lad that got injured makes a speedy and full recovery.

This 👍

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

The Cowdenbeath management team have had issues with numerous referees and other teams benches the past few years. 
Gavin Price was defending his player as Bollan, as usual, was subjecting the officials to a tirade in an attempt to get his player sent off.

There were only a few minutes to go, the game was over, Elgin were out of sight but because of an idiotic tackle Cowden have lost a player, probably for a long time. Sending a player off would have made no difference to the score.

Bollan would quite rightly be raging at losing a player (we don’t have many)  for no reason.

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

And Elgin have history of ruining another Cowden’s player career.

39 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

And Elgin have history of ruining another Cowden’s player career.

I don’t see that as relevant as it was many years ago and I’m sure Elgin players don’t set out to injure our players in every game we play against them. 
What is relevant to me is that this was a bad tackle which resulted in a serious injury to a young player. I’m not wearing Cowden tinted glasses when I say that ,that tackle would have resulted in at least a yellow card under most referees. I don’t think it was malicious from what I can see in the clip but it was reckless and out of control. 

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

There were only a few minutes to go, the game was over, Elgin were out of sight but because of an idiotic tackle Cowden have lost a player, probably for a long time. Sending a player off would have made no difference to the score.

Bollan would quite rightly be raging at losing a player (we don’t have many)  for no reason.

Firstly as most neutrals would say, it was not an idiotic tackle.
You have undoubtedly been hit by injuries but probably dictated by finances, your club have made the decision to run light with squad numbers.