Maradona dies

Richey Edwards

Watching the Hand of God documentary on ITV4 just now.  Surprisingly enough it seems to be infact a documentary about England's WC campaign in 86, following the team at training, the hotel, just covered a game against Poland, I don't believe Maradona was playing in that game. Its a group of England players talking about England's WC campaign. Awesome as I type they move on from England v Poland to England v Paraguay.  Awesome, this is a brilliant tribute to Maradona.  I can't wait to see how England Paraguay turns out and how Maradona got on in that game.

See if you go back just 8 posts from your post above, you will see one from me warning you not to watch it, for the very reasons you describe, you must have seen it, yours is the first post right after it???

one thing that always stood out for me in the various documentaries I have seen - some in full, some sections of others - is that despite all the coke , booze and partying he was doing at Napoli and the national team/post Naples, he seemed to continue to, and be able to, train like an absolute beast......

I obviously haven't watched the doc (cheers for the heads up a'bdy!) but if that's what's been put out as a tribute to Maradona then that's a disgrace. Just a sop to the gammon demographic and an excuse to stoke English nationalist sentiment by the sounds of it.

Still, it's delightful that Maradona inspired such seethe even if, as has been said before, he rarely talked or gave a thought to that game afterwards.

On 29/11/2020 at 12:10, KingRocketman II said:

one thing that always stood out for me in the various documentaries I have seen - some in full, some sections of others - is that despite all the coke , booze and partying he was doing at Napoli and the national team/post Naples, he seemed to continue to, and be able to, train like an absolute beast......

Do you think the short term effect of cocaine might've overcame the impact of the alcohol and maybe other performance enhancing drugs like ephedrine might account for that?

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you think the short term effect of cocaine might've overcame the impact of the alcohol and maybe other performance enhancing drugs like ephedrine might account for that?

you still have to put the effort in. performance enhancing drugs give the beneficiary a competitor edge but a lot of training needs to go into that. Partying and then using cocaine to give you a boost to get going in the morning can't presumably sustain any type of medium to long term training routine. And (I believe) most people on an average night out getting pished intermixed with Charlie are absolutely goosed the following morning. It really is a hats off to him from me!

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

you still have to put the effort in. performance enhancing drugs give the beneficiary a competitor edge but a lot of training needs to go into that. Partying and then using cocaine to give you a boost to get going in the morning can't presumably sustain any type of medium to long term training routine. And (I believe) most people on an average night out getting pished intermixed with Charlie are absolutely goosed the following morning. It really is a hats off to him from me!

I think he had every available upper, downer, masker and probably had any tests sorted by his mafia pals. That doesn't change his natural ability of course but it might explain his training capacity.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think he had every available upper, downer, masker and probably had any tests sorted by his mafia pals. That doesn't change his natural ability of course but it might explain his training capacity.

I get your point but to be putting that effort in most mornings on the back of his lifestyle - if you're running and your fecked, breathing out your erse having to push yourself for the next hour or so, then no drug is going too make things any easier for you at that stage. Like the Lance Armstrong debate - some people's understanding is that he won through simply taking some pills and doing nothing else. He was however still training like an absolute beast for hours every day like clean cyclists but at the sane time cleaning his blood/taking something illegal to that sport to give him a few percentages extra to give him that edge. 

10 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I get your point but to be putting that effort in most mornings on the back of his lifestyle - if you're running and your fecked, breathing out your erse having to push yourself for the next hour or so, then no drug is going too make things any easier for you at that stage. Like the Lance Armstrong debate - some people's understanding is that he won through simply taking some pills and doing nothing else. He was however still training like an absolute beast for hours every day like clean cyclists but at the sane time cleaning his blood/taking something illegal to that sport to give him a few percentages extra to give him that edge. 

I genuinely assumed that performance enhancing drugs would do just that. It's not a long term solution obviously as it will show up as other health problems and they would've masked normal injuries. He was done by the time he left Napoli and was only 31.

21 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It also explains why he expired at 60, having been utterly fucked for the better part of two decades.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I thought performing enhancing drugs were misnamed, they allow you to train harder but not actually help you immediately in competition. A bit pedantic I suppose.

In this example they allowed him to train harder, keep his weight down and be fit to play. Ability gave him the edge in games.

On 29/11/2020 at 23:20, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Maybe cause your posts are a hysterical mess

That doesn’t read correctly, something to do with singular possessive nouns I think!!!

Also, you’re seriously writing that after that  drunken solo of a previous page we all had to wade through, deary me!!!

12 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

That doesn’t read correctly, something to do with singular possessive nouns I think!!!

Also, you’re seriously writing that after that  drunken solo of a previous page we all had to wade through, deary me!!!

Oooh that cuts deep, you never question a mans singular possessive nouns

I think its hard for us to understand how important a figure the wee man in the psyche of Argentina, culturally, politically, spiritually, he is the biggest figure in the history of their country.  I have been doing some research and found a couple of videos I thought I'd share.

Here is some Argentinian artist called Manu Chao playing Maradona song he wrote about him, which it seems was a bit of a hit

Worth posting the lyrics

The lottery life

If I was Maradona
I'd live like him
If I was Maradona
In front of any goal
If I was Maradona
I'd never make a mistake
If I was Maradona
Lost someplace

Life is a lottery
Day and night