Maradona dies

Richey Edwards

On 25/11/2020 at 18:20, Wild Winton Rover said:

Two memories of the Greatest of my lifetime.

1979 Hampden Park He was 17 and playing with the 78 World Cup team and he was a stand out then. Nothing more needing said.

1986 Rimini On Holiday Watching Eng v Arg in a Hotel full of our Southern friends. Hand of God scores, Im first up celebrating along with a wee waiter from Naples. London boy next to me 'and ball mate! Room cleared at the Second. Pure Genius.

Eternal Diego RIP

Pretty much the same story for me in 1986 except I was in Menorca not Rimini!

A junkie, a cheat and a cheat cheat who got his mistress pregnant and refused to acknowledge his offspring until the courts ordered him to pay child support when the young lad was 7, it then took another 10 years for him to finally meet his son. He seems like a lovely guy
Junkies die day in day out. It beggars belief why this one is so special

Edgy.

A junkie, a cheat and a cheat cheat who got his mistress pregnant and refused to acknowledge his offspring until the courts ordered him to pay child support when the young lad was 7, it then took another 10 years for him to finally meet his son. He seems like a lovely guy
Hiya Peter, hiya pal!

Tuned into ITV to catch their Maradona tribute “The Hand of God”, what a bloody con, it’s actually a documentary about England’s 86 World Cup Finals campaign, with a round table featuring Shilton, Butcher, Hoddle and a few more gammons, f**k all to do with Maradona at all!!

That is unless you have the gumption to watch it till the end when it comes to their eventual knockout and to watch the gammony tears and snotters of that same round table is actually quite a tribute to Diego, the fact that he never mentioned or rarely talked about that game yet he’s managed to induce near psychological damage on these guys that still manifests itself nearly 40 years later is pleasing!!!

Will recommend the Ch4 film DIEGO MARADONA which was shown through the night, you’ll get it in catchup and it is quite simply fantastic, if you haven’t seen it it mainly covers his Napoli years and is real worth the watching, it’s the best thing made about him as it is truly warts and all and also benefits from not having and “English” agenda to follow, it quite clearly is what it is, enjoy!!!

5 hours ago, Durex Play said:

Its a shame your parents didn't use durex when they played

16 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Still quite cut up about this.  Would say its the celebrity death that has affected me the most.  Watching the live footage of people walking past his coffin earlier, would love to have gone and left a Scotland top.  We owe him that.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I tend not to be overly arsed about "celebrity" deaths, but his feels important. I actually bridled at the use of the word celebrity in your post as it feels like it's more than that (although I know you didn't mean it trivially). 

I wonder if he truly understood the impact he had here, not just being utterly spellbindingly brilliant, but the impact his goals against England had on our esteem of him. I know some folk wince at the mere suggestion of anti-englishness, but there's no denying the audacity of that goal and the indignant fury it unleashed has been instrumental in our affection towards him. I know that sounds a touch purple, but the TA don't have a song about Pele, but we do have one about Maradona.

The presser where he is asked about the handball and he responds by pointing out Hurst's goal that didn't cross the line is absolute shithousery gold. 

Terry is that you?

17 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Tell us the story.  Can't get enough of this shit.  Focus on the English angst if you will please x

I was 14 and had missed our tie with Uruguay as we were on our flight. 

Every game that was on in the hotel had nobody watching it except me until Engerland were playing. 

A man my dad had befriended (who was a decent guy) saved me a seat up the front of the room to watch the game against Diego and his 10 mates.

As the game went on the English got louder until that magical moment at which point I jumped up to cheer only to remember I was in a room full of Englishmen who were a tad upset.

I remember leaving the room after the game with a big smile on my face and a lot of glowering men wondering if I was old enough for them to punch me.

RIP Diego

On 26/11/2020 at 17:52, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Its a small but comforting consolation to know that he got to see Scotland qualify for the Euros

The penalties probably finished him off!

6 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Tuned into ITV to catch their Maradona tribute “The Hand of God”, what a bloody con, it’s actually a documentary about England’s 86 World Cup Finals campaign, with a round table featuring Shilton, Butcher, Hoddle and a few more gammons, f**k all to do with Maradona at all!!

That is unless you have the gumption to watch it till the end when it comes to their eventual knockout and to watch the gammony tears and snotters of that same round table is actually quite a tribute to Diego, the fact that he never mentioned or rarely talked about that game yet he’s managed to induce near psychological damage on these guys that still manifests itself nearly 40 years later is pleasing!!!

Thanks, I've recorded it, will immediately delete.

7 minutes ago, WilliamBragg said:

I was 14 and had missed our tie with Uruguay as we were on our flight. 

If we had managed to beat Uruguay, Argentina were up next for us!

6 hours ago, velo army said:

I'm in exactly the same boat. I tend not to be overly arsed about "celebrity" deaths, but his feels important. I actually bridled at the use of the word celebrity in your post as it feels like it's more than that (although I know you didn't mean it trivially). 

I wonder if he truly understood the impact he had here, not just being utterly spellbindingly brilliant, but the impact his goals against England had on our esteem of him. I know some folk wince at the mere suggestion of anti-englishness, but there's no denying the audacity of that goal and the indignant fury it unleashed has been instrumental in our affection towards him. I know that sounds a touch purple, but the TA don't have a song about Pele, but we do have one about Maradona.

The presser where he is asked about the handball and he responds by pointing out Hurst's goal that didn't cross the line is absolute shithousery gold. 

Good post man. I would doubt he really understood, most people aren't really aware of how things are here as we are a small and insignificant part of the world.  But I would like to think several people told him how popular he was here and he was at least aware. 

I would imagine he heard that all the time about everywhere and it just kind of went in one ear out the other type thing.  It must have been hard being Maradona when the whole world wants a piece of you every day all your life.  I would love to have seen somebody show him the tartan army singing his song, and wish I could leave a Scotland top at his grave.  Maybe one day.  

Watching that documentary recently one thing struck me.  His sister said from age 15 onwards he has been supporting his entire family.  All depending on him to change their lives and get them out of their situation.  Incredible when you think about it.

And he was really just a shy, simple kid from the slums who wasn't prepared for any of it, and wasn't given any help of guidance.  I watched a video last night will see if I can find it, one of many.  It had a scene with pensive music showing him in that executive box in 2010 with all the coke and that, when Argentina scored, standing there arms outspread, taking in all the adulation, sun glinting on him, completely coked off his tits.  You could almost feel what he was feeling, like a transendental experience, he's made it, to the top of the tree, he's king of the world flaws and all, and I imagined he maybe was thinking about his own mortality, and I figured he probably it doesn't matter now, you can die any time cause you really fuckin lived.  And connected with millions and millions of people in a way very few can.  

I don't want to get too cheesy but in a way people like that don't really ever die, they live on in people's memories and have made themselves as immortal as anyone can be.  Football is the biggest activity that humans do, I think its insulting to even call it a sport.  Its the biggest thing in the world by far, it has cultural, political and even spiritual significance in a way that nothing else does.  And Maradona is football's biggest star ever.  So this is a massive moment and a huge loss for all football fans of all ages.

Watching the Hand of God documentary on ITV4 just now.  Surprisingly enough it seems to be infact a documentary about England's WC campaign in 86, following the team at training, the hotel, just covered a game against Poland, I don't believe Maradona was playing in that game. Its a group of England players talking about England's WC campaign. Awesome as I type they move on from England v Poland to England v Paraguay.  Awesome, this is a brilliant tribute to Maradona.  I can't wait to see how England Paraguay turns out and how Maradona got on in that game.

This is what it says on the info -

"A documentary shown as a tribute to Argentinian football star Diego Maradona, widely considered one of the very best to ever play the game, who died on November 25th."

Still no mention of Maradona or Argentina, now covering Lineker's transfer to Barcelona.  Every single second so far focused 100% on England.  Oh great now the Falklands.