Maradona dies

Richey Edwards

Two memories of the Greatest of my lifetime.

1979 Hampden Park He was 17 and playing with the 78 World Cup team and he was a stand out then. Nothing more needing said.

1986 Rimini On Holiday Watching Eng v Arg in a Hotel full of our Southern friends. Hand of God scores, Im first up celebrating along with a wee waiter from Naples. London boy next to me 'and ball mate! Room cleared at the Second. Pure Genius.

Eternal Diego RIP

Edited by Wild Winton Rover

Shilts showing his class here with his tweet, which has since been removed!!!

IMG_1606333935.708023.jpg.3a28d05abfcdd6164f4612fe490f8f46.jpg

Seriously if he is responsible i hope he’s pulled up over this!!!

31 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Shilts showing his class here with his tweet, which has since been removed!!!

If it was ever there in the first place, which I massively doubt. Never trust a screen shot of a tweet, they're incredibly easy to do.

image.png.44891e85e081d317cfc4b576cd63e312.png

Edited by welshbairn

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it was ever there in the first place, which I massively doubt. Never trust a screen shot of a tweet, they're incredibly easy to do.

image.png.44891e85e081d317cfc4b576cd63e312.png

Was it you???

Perhaps it’s best to let his peers do the talking:-

Ruud Gullit (My Perfect XI) - Do I really need to give reasons? The best player there has ever been, better than Pele. I watched him closely in Italy every week and he was at a different level to everyone else. Some of the things he did were unbelievable. He could control the ball without looking, which meant if the pass was on, he would take it.

Barcelona team mate Lobo Carasco - “He had complete mastery of the ball. When Maradona ran with the ball or dribbled through the defence, he seemed to have the ball tied to his boots. I remember our early training sessions with him: the rest of the team were so amazed that they just stood and watched him. We all thought ourselves privileged to be witness to his genius”

Gary Lineker (My Perfect XI) - “He was head and shoulders above everyone else I've ever seen. I once played in a Rest of the World game, and Maradona was out on the pitch doing these tricks and all these great players – Zico, Platini, Elkjaer – were standing there with their mouths open. He was keeping it up by whacking the ball up 50 yards into the air and not moving. Which is impossible. And the goal he scored against us – not the punchy one but the second one – on a pitch that was unplayable, was incredible”.

“Diego was capable of things no one else could match. The things I could do with a football, he could do with an orange."
—Michel Platini, former French midfielder, on Maradona's ball control

Definitely the best player I ever saw - a force of nature - if he got the ball anywhere on the pitch you genuinely thought he could destroy the opposition

This was back before ubiquitous worldwide TV football where seeing these guys at a World Cup was genuinely new and exciting. The only other big live matches shown were European games if a British team was playing, so you had the novelty factor which added to the aura. The only other player I felt could have beaten you single-handedly in the same way since then was peak young Brazilian Ronaldo.

I remember watching it live on TV but I could watch his pirouette where he mugs off Peter Reid and the other English guy at the start of the 2nd goal on repeat.