Maradona dies

Richey Edwards

What an unbelievable footballer, watching clips of him manoeuvring a football is just astonishing. The ball looks stuck to him, the ease he can control the ball with looks almost fake. 
I am absolutely not one for moral absolutism. We are all flawed. I think the man is a legend. What does surprise me however is the non-existence of people pointing out his flaws. Possibly on his death it’s not the time for people to be doing it or maybe he was just so mesmerisingly good that people can’t bring themselves to do it but I find it odd people can be so quick to deny others a second chance or see past their flaws but will hail Maradona a legend with the allegations against him and his involvement in some dubious affairs. 
Maradona will remain my personal reminder that a person can be a genius, bring emotion to millions and yet be a flawed human being. A sad loss but what a life to have lived. I bet he had a few stories 

Not only one of the top few players of all time but surely the most box office. The story about him picking Ariel Garce, a middle of the road defender in the Argentinian league, ahead of Zanetti and Walter Samuel (treble winners for Inter that season, the former as captain) for the 2010 World Cup is one of my favourite in football.

Garce won 2 caps under Bielsa in 2003 and after leaving River Plate in 2004, jobbed about at fairly unglamourous teams such as Colon, Olimpo and Rosario Central. He had booked his tickets for South Africa as a fan, thinking he had no hope of making the squad. Maradona though had dreamt before picking his squad that Argentina won the tournament and because Garce was the only player he remembered from it, he went as a player instead. So the story goes anyway.

Edited by afca32

4 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Not only one of the top few players of all time but surely the most box office. The story about him picking Ariel Garce, a middle of the road defender in the Argentinian league, ahead of Zanetti and Walter Samuel (treble winners for Inter that season, the former as captain) for the 2010 World Cup is one of my favourite in football.

Garce won 2 caps under Bielsa in 2003 and after leaving River Plate in 2004, jobbed about at fairly unglamourous teams such as Colon, Olimpo and Rosario Central. He had booked his tickets for South Africa as a fan, thinking he had no hope of making the squad. Maradona though had dreamt before picking his squad that Argentina won the tournament and because Garce was the only player he remembered from it, he went as a player instead. So the story goes anyway.

He also fucked Riquelme out of the squad a few days before the tournament started.  Slated him in the press then Riquelme went home.  They had a nonsense squad that year too if he picked the right players.  With a good manager they could have won it.  All adds to his legend though.  Genuinely gutted tonight, the only person I'd describe as a hero probably.

Just now, Andrew Driver said:

At his peak I'd agree with you, the Brazilian Ronaldo was possibly better than Messi or CR7.   But these guys have raised the bar for consistent brilliance.   

I'm comfortable that Messi's the best I've seen.  

Yeah but that's because of people like Brazilian Ronaldo and Maradona.  Messi and Cristiano couldn't have had the longevity they have had if they played in his time as they would have got the shit kicked out of them. Now you can't touch them.  So its not fair to say oh they've scored x many goals over x many seasons as the game is completely different.  If he played now he'd have done that too.

Imo its only fair to compare players at their best, and at his best there's no doubt Maradona is the greatest there's ever been. The world is a slightly less wondrous and magical place for his passing.  Legend is a word made for guys like Diego Armando Maradona.

It truly is amazing how football has changed in the last 30 years when watching all the old videos on YouTube. The amount of potential modern day red card tackles he evaded and refused to go down. Especially when he had his ankle smashed by Goikoetxea when at Barca in his early 20s. How many goals he set up that would never have happened today as a modern day Maradona would have been rolling about looking to get the opposition player booked. Messi and C Ronaldo have had it a lot easier than he did.

Mexico 86 was the first football tournament I remember. My mum was working away, and my dad and I had proper father/son bonding time over football, takeaways, and getting to stay up later than usual. It was Maradona’s tournament. He was my boyhood hero and the player who got me into football more than any other. A total flawed genius. I even named my cat after him. RIP.

56 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

At his peak I'd agree with you, the Brazilian Ronaldo was possibly better than Messi or CR7.   But these guys have raised the bar for consistent brilliance.   

I'm comfortable that Messi's the best I've seen.  

Sorry mate - totally disagree. Ask Argentinians who’s the best and they’ll tell you - that’s the true measure.

Like quite a few others, Mexico 86 was by some distance my favourite World Cup. Maradona was utterly sensational throughout, with the epic trolling of England a clear highlight, however his one-man demolition of Belgium was on another level. At club level he was an absolute sensation at every club who signed him, up until the ching really took hold towards the end of his Napoli days.

He almost single-handedly dragged Argentina and various club sides far, far beyond their potential and for that reason I think he edges Pele as the GOAT. Pele scored a mental number of goals (even once you deduct the goals he was credited with in friendlies, at youth level etc) and won 3 World Cups, however he was surrounded absolute top drawer players for much of that period. Whilst it would be an exaggeration to say Maradona was generally surrounded by ordinary players, there's no way Napoli win 2 Scudettos without him, or indeed Argentina win 86 without him. 

The fact that he'll be living rent-free in Shilton's head until the gammon c**t himself snuffs it is merely the icing on the cake. 

A legend. 

7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Like quite a few others, Mexico 86 was by some distance my favourite World Cup. Maradona was utterly sensational throughout, with the epic trolling of England a clear highlight, however his one-man demolition of Belgium was on another level. At club level he was an absolute sensation at every club who signed him, up until the ching really took hold towards the end of his Napoli days.

He almost single-handedly dragged Argentina and various club sides far, far beyond their potential and for that reason I think he edges Pele as the GOAT. Pele scored a mental number of goals (even once you deduct the goals he was credited with in friendlies, at youth level etc) and won 3 World Cups, however he was surrounded absolute top drawer players for much of that period. Whilst it would be an exaggeration to say Maradona was generally surrounded by ordinary players, there's no way Napoli win 2 Scudettos without him, or indeed Argentina win 86 without him. 

The fact that he'll be living rent-free in Shilton's head until the gammon c**t himself snuffs it is merely the icing on the cake. 

A legend. 

Brilliant post mate. Shilton’s comments today showed him up as a scumbag. A horrible, horrible man.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Brilliant post mate. Shilton’s comments today showed him up as a scumbag. A horrible, horrible man.

Tbf i think that "cheat death" tweet was probably faked, but you just know he's still monumentally bitter about it. 

When I first started watching football in the 80's, Liverpool were the top club in the world, having a few Scots in the team meant that my first hero was Dalglish. With so few games on TV the first game I can remember watching was the 85-86 FA cup final. 

That would all change that summer, By that time I loved football and watched as much as I could of the 86 world cup, Maradona became the person everyone pretended to be when we played football, which really meant that no one would pass the ball and try and go on mazy runs. Watching the documentary about him last year, I just sat with a smile on my face the whole time and there are very few players since that have had that effect on me. Just absolute brilliance. 

Sean Connery dying was a massive event but I missed the height of his stardom and he had been retired for 20 years, It wasn't lost on me how colossal a figure he was especially in Scotland and he was legendary, But Maradona was at his peak in my formative  years and was the main figure in the thing I loved most and his death has been a hard one. 

4 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Shilts showing his class here with his tweet, which has since been removed!!!

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_1606333935.708023.jpg.3a28d05abfcdd6164f4612fe490f8f46.jpg

Seriously if he is responsible i hope he’s pulled up over this!!!

The icons below aren't right.