Maradona dies

Richey Edwards

15 minutes ago, pub car king said:

An absolute fucking mentalist and an even better player. The game is so safe and money driven now I don't think he would be given a chance these days.

On the contrary I think he would have shown himself truly to be the greatest ever if he played now. The absolute brutality of the challenges he had to endure on the field would be gone now and he'd be unbeatable. He had a bigger personality and greater leadership than Messi and he would have won umpteen world cups with Argentina now given the players they have.

The way the game is now he would have been looked after much better now. The way he was treated at Napoli was awful and allowed the worst of his demons to surface.

This is really sad news. 

I was born in '91 so missed him in his prime and was too young to ever remember him properly. However, I didn't need to see him live to appreciate how great a player he was. At the start of lockdown I watched the documentary Channel 4 showed and his life was mad.

Also, how good would it have been if social media was about when he scored his "hand of God goal"? English tears everywhere.