Diamonds v Toonsters

If Falkirk are better than this lot I'm a bit worried. Cove comfortably look like the best team we've played so far, better than Thistle. They're passing the ball well and Milne and Masson look really dangerous down the left. We're certainly not out of it, but they look a lot better than us.

Half time at the Penny Cars and it's 1-0 Cove. Cove passing it around well and look threatening going forward. Airdrie had a decent chance from Robert who was quite harshly booked for simulation in my opinion.

Fyvie dictating the middle of the park and Masson and Milne are getting joy down the left hand side

If Cove keep creating chances there's a few more goals in this game.

Airdrie look like they could score too.

Interesting to see how the second half goes

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

If Falkirk are better than this lot I'm a bit worried. Cove comfortably look like the best team we've played so far, better than Thistle. They're passing the ball well and Milne and Masson look really dangerous down the left. We're certainly not out of it, but they look a lot better than us.

We're passing it around today like we did in L2 last season. We're not quite as strong as we were last season in my opinion as we had Declan Glass then and his creativity was stellar. Definitely one to watch.

Prior to today in L1 we haven't played to our potential and against Falkirk after the first 30 minutes we lost our shape and passing and looked inferior to Falkirk. They have real strength in depth and attacking threat.

At 1-0 it's still all to play for.

We're passing it around today like we did in L2 last season. We're not quite as strong as we were last season in my opinion as we had Declan Glass then and his creativity was stellar. Definitely one to watch.
Prior to today in L1 we haven't played to our potential and against Falkirk after the first 30 minutes we lost our shape and passing and looked inferior to Falkirk. They have real strength in depth and attacking threat.
At 1-0 it's still all to play for.

We had Glass on loan for the last half of the season before he went to Cove. He still looked a bit raw but clearly very talented even at 18.

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We had Glass on loan for the last half of the season before he went to Cove. He still looked a bit raw but clearly very talented even at 18.

Didn't know that. Was tremendous for us and was getting the odd game for Dundee United last season after he returned from his loan spell.

Partick were unlucky he got injured before the season started

Can't really complain with a point there. Cove better in the first half and Airdrie better in the second. That's two games in a row I've thought usual scapegoat Paul McKay was excellent. Last week he looked good pushing up to join the attack, today (particularly in the second half) I thought he looked really composed on the ball and able to control the game from a deeper role.

I really enjoyed that second half performance, we certainly looked threatening going forward and if we can play like that more often we’ll cause every team in this league problems. The less said about the first half the better. 

I couldn’t really work out our shape at times in the second half, it seemed to be a back three with Walker and McCann pushing forward, Carrick dropping deep and Robert almost having a free role up front. Whatever it was, it seemed to work quite well and was a big improvement on the first half where we were too deep and gave Cove far too much of the ball. 

I thought Robert was excellent again, it’s great having a player who is so exciting to watch going forward. He seems to be really enjoying it too. Paul McKay had a very good game in midfield too, him and Sabatini seemed to swap roles with McKay being very composed and Sabatini struggling to get into the game.

Cove are the best team we’ve played in the league so far. They look like a well organised side with some quality players throughout. Harry Milne and Jamie Masson in particular linked up well down the left, I thought Milne was probably the best player on the park. 

Overall a draw was probably the fair result with both teams dominating a half each. I suspect come the end of the season there won’t be many points separating both teams. 

Airdrie struggled badly in the 1st half with the tempo of Cove,  and the passing was panicky ,   the young lad Walker did well,   MacDonald  who may be out for a few weeks with his hamstring, has struggled defensively all season...

A clearly unfit Gallagher was replaced by Connell and the game changer due to getting further up the pitch,  Robert is a talent , great goal and I thought we were unlucky not to get the win for the second half dominance.....

In saying that,  Airdrie are know where near title winners and looks like a playoff at best,

Cove are well drilled, comfortable on the ball and probably the technically best side we have played this season.

A point was a fair result. Cove looked excellent in the first half. They were spraying the ball around nicely and running off the ball well. In fairness, we were also keech and gave Fyvie, Milne and Masson the whole of ML6 to play in. However, we were much better in the second half. Murray responded well to Cove tactically. Getting McCann further up the park allowed us to stretch Cove more and as a result actually cross the halfway line with the ball. Kerr helped solidify the defence and deal with Masson and McKay (baller) linked well with the forwards. Particular mention to Kyle Connell though who's appearance seemed to be a major catalyst in changing the momentum of the game. He troubled Cove and was really unlucky not to score (as was Carrick with his shot off the bar). And what a strike from Robert! That's 3 goals in 3 league games now and you can already see he's playing at a level below what he's capable of. We should enjoy him while he's here... Amazing what a difference it made when we actually passed the ball around and when we didn't give their players all the time and space in the world to play football in. 

Frustrating to think what might have been if we'd actually turned up in the first half. But, perhaps most importantly, that's a game we would have lost last season. I'll take the point and the encouraging second half performance in the end. 

Hit the woodwork twice in the second half and so arguably could have snuck it.

That said, Cove will feel that they should have made more of their first half dominance.

I was really impressed by Cove.

Sound technically and with a clear idea of how they want to play. In the first half they played perfect astroturf football - something we’ve never done since the pitch was laid.

Will be interesting to see how both teams do this year.