Diamonds v Toonsters

When this fixture was played in 2017, a highland league Cove came down to an Airdrie in disarray. A hostile takeover on the cards and a far more hostile crowd.

Airdrie had an emergency loan keeper and a centre half out with a broken wrist. Many Airdrie fans made sound investments with Cove at 8/1 which helped soften the blow of the historic defeat.

Only 3 years on, Cove visit Airdrie as an emerging force in the lower leagues and are even money favourites with the bookies.

Strange thing is, Airdrie are probably considerably stronger than the last meeting and obviously so are Cove.

I’m quite excited for this one and even this early in the season, it’s a game we can’t lose if we want to entertain the idea of being title contenders.

Roll on Saturday

25 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

When this fixture was played in 2017, a highland league Cove came down to an Airdrie in disarray. A hostile takeover on the cards and a far more hostile crowd.

Airdrie had an emergency loan keeper and a centre half out with a broken wrist. Many Airdrie fans made sound investments with Cove at 8/1 which helped soften the blow of the historic defeat.

Only 3 years on, Cove visit Airdrie as an emerging force in the lower leagues and are even money favourites with the bookies.

Strange thing is, Airdrie are probably considerably stronger than the last meeting and obviously so are Cove.

I’m quite excited for this one and even this early in the season, it’s a game we can’t lose if we want to entertain the idea of being title contenders.

Roll on Saturday

I missed it as I was in Madeira but keeping in touch only to discover we lost 2 goals in last few minutes. Our goal scorers were Jordan McGregor and Jake Hastie-whatever happened to them? The goalie was someone called Mason and from the "highlights" I saw on return it was two late headers that did it. When you look at the team it did include Keiran Mcdonald  but Dean cairns/McGregor at CB and the wonderful mids of +Ryan Conroy/Tom Fry, with Furtado /Cammy Russell--so I think you are right we do look stronger. Cove mind you had Mitch Megginson who is always a threat . I agree  we need to win to pull Cove back into the pack but it's a funny old game!

I don't think I've ever been as convinced about Airdrie losing a goal as I was just before the corner for Cove's winner in that 3-2 game. That was an awful day and a real low point for the club, more so for the off the park nonsense than losing to a highland league team, but ultimately a really important one in terms of where the club is now. We're definitely in a much better place now and I don't think any of those players at their 2017 levels would get in the current team (MacDonald and Hastie would now). It's quite interesting to see how many of Cove's players that day are still regulars for them. 

As usual in this league I'm expecting a very tough game but I'm quietly confident Airdrie will edge it by one goal. Ignoring the cup games where we really lacked Gallagher as a focal point, the last two league games have been excellent and if we're as exciting going forward as we were in those games we'll definitely cause Cove problems. I think the same will be true for Cove though. 

I'd probably go with the same team that beat Forfar. Leaving out Sabatini is a tough call but McKay and Kerr played well on Saturday so I'm happy to go with that again with the knowledge we have options to change it, though I wouldn't be surprised if Murray drops MacDonald for Sabatini with McKay moving to right back. It's good to have at least one good option on the bench though rather than trying to decide which 11 players I dislike the least. 

Interesting game upcoming especially after we suffered our first loss in the league. Cove haven't really shown their best performances so far in L1 and Falkirk deserved all 3 points on Saturday.

We now have Fyvie back and looking match sharp. Masson should be eligible and Higgins fit so should have a full squad to choose from.

Airdrie have banged in quite a few goals of late. Big game for both sides, neither will settle for a point. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Heart says a good Airdrie win and the great feeling of a Saturday evening seeing them top of the league, head says for that very reason they will get caught cold early on then spend the rest of the match besieging the Cove goal only to get suckered with a late breakaway goal.  Airdrie seem to do that to you as a fan, build you up then knock you down, (just like Scotland)

Heart says a good Airdrie win and the great feeling of a Saturday evening seeing them top of the league, head says for that very reason they will get caught cold early on then spend the rest of the match besieging the Cove goal only to get suckered with a late breakaway goal.  Airdrie seem to do that to you as a fan, build you up then knock you down, (just like Scotland)

And Chumbawumba

Not sure I'd go as far as to say I'm looking forward to this but it will certainly be a good marker for how our season will go. 

I saw Cove a couple of times against Queen's Park last season and occasionally in the Highland League and I've always thought of them as a tidy, solid and professional outfit. Megginson and Fyvie have always been good players and I've always been impressed with Masson whenever I've watched Cove. 

Our biggest threats come from out wide so Carrick/Connell, Robert and McCann (plus MacDonald) vs Milne and Yule should be a decent battle. 

It's difficult to make a prediction for this as it really depends which Airdrie side turn up. I've said it on our own thread a few times but when we're on, we're excellent. Exciting going forward and capable of carving teams open and doing a lot of damage. When we're off though we're completely and utterly inept at every facet of the game. Not to mention our record at home has been dire for as long as I can remember. As I've also said a few times, if we score first I'm confident we will take something from this game. If Cove score first I think they'll see the game out pretty comfortably. 

Would be nice to win a big game at home ( and ideally relatively soundly) and lay down a marker for once. 

Edited by airdrieman

Be surprised if there was any changes to the lineup this week, shame for sabatini but actually thought kerr and mckay were good last week for change!

In our last 2 league games we've scored 6 goals in the first half alone! So hopefully another quick start tomorrow, agree with airdrieman above we seem to sturggle once we go behind so if cove score first i fear the worst for us.

Gallagher, Connell and Roy are all doubts according to the preview on the website. Bit concerning if they’re all out as we saw in the recent cup games what a difference having a focal point in Gallagher makes. I really like Carrick but not sure he’s great at being the main striker. 

Gallagher, Connell and Roy are all doubts according to the preview on the website. Bit concerning if they’re all out as we saw in the recent cup games what a difference having a focal point in Gallagher makes. I really like Carrick but not sure he’s great at being the main striker. 

It is worrying especially since I'd consider those three our only proper out and out strikers, maybe there's more to Fordyce's comments in the preview about wanting to add goals to his game than meets the eye. Joking aside, it's nice to see Roy upgraded from "out" to "doubt", and if all three are just doubts there's definitely some hope that at least one of them will be ok to play. I've been quietly confident about this game (maybe more than I should be given it will be very tough) but if I see a weakened lineup announced tomorrow due to injuries that confidence might fade.

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

I noticed that as well. Definitely a concern as as others above have said, those three are our only real strikers. Carrick can of course play upfront but we won't get the best out of him there and we've already seen playing Stokes upfront doesn't work. Would feel much less confident about getting something from the game if those three are missing but good news that Roy is obviously progressing with his rehab and is only a 'late fitness test' away from featuring. 

Not confident about this game at all.  We've turned in some decent performances but I'll always watch Airdrie 'with my guard up" as there's a serious chance they'll turn in a horrendous performance just when you think things are going well.

I'd genuinely love to be wrong and win 1-0 with the worst game you'll ever see, but that's what we e been missing for a long time, grinding out terrible wins (as champions so often do).

We are going into this game with two good league wins giving us confidence. Yes, we may see some enforced changes going by the match preview, but if that's the case, then it's clearly outwith the control of the club and we've just got to make do with who we have fit and available. All teams will experience that at some point or another. But I think whoever we put out on the park and in whichever formation, they will be right up for this game today. 

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Not confident about this game at all.  We've turned in some decent performances but I'll always watch Airdrie 'with my guard up" as there's a serious chance they'll turn in a horrendous performance just when you think things are going well.

I'd genuinely love to be wrong and win 1-0 with the worst game you'll ever see, but that's what we e been missing for a long time, grinding out terrible wins (as champions so often do).

Especially at home. Right enough the final score is usually 1-0 with the worst game you'll ever see but with the opposition coming out on top. Would love it to be the opposite for a change this afternoon. 

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

We are going into this game with two good league wins giving us confidence. Yes, we may see some enforced changes going by the match preview, but if that's the case, then it's clearly outwith the control of the club and we've just got to make do with who we have fit and available. All teams will experience that at some point or another. But I think whoever we put out on the park and in whichever formation, they will be right up for this game today. 

To me that's been part of the problem in the last few years, only a handful have looked "up for it" in bigger games.  I genuinely think the game today will shape the rest of the season. Win it and there's no reason we can't battle it out at the top for what could be a cracking 3 or 4 way title fight. Lose this and I'll go on record as saying we'll get the playoffs but won't trouble the top spot.