Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's Next Permanent Manager?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m not saying I think Wright would take the job if offered, I agree with some of your points, but will he be so financially secure he can afford to do f**k all for a year? Plus your quickly forgotten in this game. The quicker we move the better which basically means we’ve no chance.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

While you make a good point about what other jobs are likely to be available to Wright and as you say Dundee are a club who realistically could be taken to the position he had St Johnstone in, is he going to be that eager to get back into management that he jumps into this?

I don't think it's a stretch that he prefers to sit with his feet up and wait for a club in a more favourable position than taking a Championship job mid-season when there's a club with a far larger budget in the division and they're already 8 points off the top, even if that means staying out of work for an extended time. The title is already realistically gone, is he going to stake a hard earned reputation as one of the best managers in the country on getting another manager's flawed squad through playoffs? If the Dundee and Ross County jobs were to come up at the same time I don't think it's anywhere close to a guarantee that he'd be choosing the Dundee job despite the greater long term potential.

You've mentioned the Northern Ireland job as possibly being a factor for Robinson staying put at Motherwell until his and Baraclough's contracts expire in 2022, but Wright and Robinson are surely as aware as everyone else outside the IFA that Baraclough is a total clownshoe who has every chance of doing so badly he won't last that long. Whether that puts Robinson back into contention for that job and presents the possibility of the Motherwell job or not, NI is Wright's dream job as well. Sitting around hoping that becomes available again could well be more appealing than going back to day to day club management and hoping to scrap his way out of the Championship via the playoffs.

Absolutely fair.

Tbh, I'd predicated my spiel on the assumption that Wright was looking to get back into football now. As you say, there's every chance he's happy enough just sitting with his feet up doing the odd bit of media work. He did the co-comms for BBC NI's coverage of our game against Coleraine earlier in the season.

Obviously the NI gig could become available sooner than expected but I'd have thought that Baraclough would at least get a qualifying campaign. I completely understand the IFA logic of wanting to appoint someone who gave continuity and Baraclough was very successful with their u21s.

The fact Wright was unattached when he interviewed for the job feels like if he was genuinely in with a shout of getting it then that was it.

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The fact Wright was unattached when he interviewed for the job feels like if he was genuinely in with a shout of getting it then that was it.

By the sounds of it, they'd already decided on Baraclough before even holding the interviews...

Screenshot_20201122-101337_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d6ba9216b059a039c9c4d4fa36aff2be.jpg

Shaun Rooney also said that he'd asked TW if he would be in charge of us in 20/21, and was told there was only one job he would leave us for at that time, before leaving just a few months after.

Despite what he says, I think its quite clear he felt he was in a really strong position for NI if he was free, so he gambled to get the job he dreamed his whole life for. And its hard to blame him for taking that chance.

I suspect he'll wait around for Baraclough to get found out, then offer himself up as an easily affordable, free, caretaker to look after things until they hire a new man. But I don't know the man so its all just guesswork.

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

Wasn't Wright on record saying he knew he was leaving before the season started? 

He claimed he and Brown spoke in 2018 (when he signed a new contract until 2022) and agreed that it would be his final contract at the club, with a mutual agreement than TW could get out early if they both felt the time was right.

Plan was for TW to build a younger squad, so a new manager wouldn't have to come in and completely rebuild over the first season, and I think he kept his side of that bargain pretty well.

Pretty sure he still lives in Dundee as well.
But leave him be. He's the next Pars manager!

Anyway, regardless of who it is, I look forward to John Hughes' tearful interview where he complains that, once again, he didn't even get an interview and can't figure out why.
You spelt Arbroath wrong

35 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Why would Billy Reid leave a much higher paid and safe as houses (at the moment) assistant manager gig in the Barclays to come up and manage in the second tier of Scottish football for a club he has no previous connection with? Thicko.

200.gif

17 hours ago, johnnydun said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It's not but from his perspective why leave st Johnstone to move to a club with a similar ceiling?  If he's got ambitions in the game to do more than what he could at st Johnstone then Dundee aren't the side to provide that I'm afraid. Neither really are any other Scottish side outside the old firm.

22 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I know that the Dundee board have at least spoken to Pressley. 

Now that would be funny. Another manager that's failed everywhere he's been but talks a great game.😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I guarantee Dundee will get promoted.😂😂

Edited by Shadwell Dog

15 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He's probably been Falkirk's most successful manager. 

Eh naw. Far from it. Took us down and never got near promotion . Was hopeless with Coventry, Fleetwood, Carlisle too. Never done anything at any level whatsoever. If you end up with him you are well and truly fecked.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Sounds quite impressive for Falkirk, tbh. Who would be your most successful manager? 

In my time Jeffries and Hughes . Willie Cunningham, Reggie Smith in the past.  Still have painfull memories of Presley fist pumping after draws at alloa.

Edited by Shadwell Dog