Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's Next Permanent Manager?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Has there ever been a time when the Dens crowd, or at least, a good portion of it wasn't baying for the manager's blood?

Other than the few and far between days that we've won leagues/humped the arabs/been given a -25 points penalty, I can't really recall any?

It's the same at all clubs. You just have to look across the road, sitting 5th in the Premiership and there's a good few shouts for Mellon to go.

28 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

It's the same at all clubs. You just have to look across the road, sitting 5th in the Premiership and there's a good few shouts for Mellon to go.

Yep. May I point you to the barrel of laughs that is Steelmen Online for the regular moaning about a manager who's taken the club in 2 cup finals, a 3rd place finish and has one of the highest win %s of any Motherwell manager in the past 30 years.

Not only that but we've also generated literally millions in transfer revenue on his watch - including a club record sale.

https://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/15930-robinson-how-do-we-think-hes-doing/page/59/#comments

(funnily enough the last post was 1st October - since then we've only lost 1 of 4 and that was against Celtic)

Edited by capt_oats

To be fair, the only time in the last 10 years or so that I've actually been confident in our manager's abilities was the first two and a bit seasons under Hartley.

Barry Smith was legendary during the Deefiant season, but even he was more of a "wishing he would do well", rather than a "confident he will do well" kind of a manager. We are currently in the midst of the worst run of managers in our history, which is something of an accomplishment when you look at the competition!

As I stated in an earlier post in the other thread, it's so depressing that we have blown the chance of being the undoubted top team in the city for a decade or so with the laughably poor selection of managers...

4 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I hate the dayglo c**t, but, do you think we would be sitting in 7th (or worse) in the Championship with him in charge?

I think it would be quite possible. He’s the worst bar none in our history if not since the World War and I mean the 1st one!

Useless arab b*****d. 

The only ounce of sympathy I have for McIntyre stems from the fact that McCann left him with a squad of complete and utter haddies. But then he went and signed a load of utter garbage himself, under difficult time constraints granted, but he really didn't cover himself in glory with most of the players he brought to the club. 

Hand on heart, I never thought I'd see a more useless RB in a Dundee shirt that Cammy Kerr, but James Horsfield disproved that notion several times over. I'd go as far as to say he's probably the worst player at any position I've ever seen in a Dundee side. Jack Hamilton and Ben whussisface the striker we had on loan from Celtic about 10 years ago pushing him hard for that honour though.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

The only ounce of sympathy I have for McIntyre stems from the fact that McCann left him with a squad of complete and utter haddies. But then he went and signed a load of utter garbage himself, under difficult time constraints granted, but he really didn't cover himself in glory with most of the players he brought to the club. 

Hand on heart, I never thought I'd see a more useless RB in a Dundee shirt that Cammy Kerr, but James Horsfield disproved that notion several times over. I'd go as far as to say he's probably the worst player at any position I've ever seen in a Dundee side. Jack Hamilton and Ben whussisface the striker we had on loan from Celtic about 10 years ago pushing him hard for that honour though.

He gave me a good laugh though. Hamilton away I think it was. He wasn't having the best game and we were getting a bit of a doing. Think he misplaced a ball that went out for a Hmailton throw and an old boy behind me jumped up in a fit of rage shouting "Horsefield??? More like Horseshit!".

So terrible it was funny. 

He was a Manchester City trainee that had played a bit for NAC Breda in the Dutch league. Can only assume that he suffered some sort of catastrophic injury that left him with about 5% of his former footballing ability before he ended up at Dundee.

Genuinely one of the few times I can remember sitting thinking that there was no way the guy I was watching was a professional footballer, and it must be some total chancer who has blagged his way into the team Ali Dia style.

2 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

To be fair, the only time in the last 10 years or so that I've actually been confident in our manager's abilities was the first two and a bit seasons under Hartley.

Barry Smith was legendary during the Deefiant season, but even he was more of a "wishing he would do well", rather than a "confident he will do well" kind of a manager. We are currently in the midst of the worst run of managers in our history, which is something of an accomplishment when you look at the competition!

As I stated in an earlier post in the other thread, it's so depressing that we have blown the chance of being the undoubted top team in the city for a decade or so with the laughably poor selection of managers...

jumping in, iirc we played you in the top flight while you had Hartley - would it be fair to say he lucked out with Greg Stewart - Hemmings - Prime Gary Harkins? can mind those three being untouchable in a defeat to Dundee at Firhill.

53 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Surely you also have to accept that it’s not an ideal situation when you can’t bring in your preferred coach. That can’t have helped.

7 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

jumping in, iirc we played you in the top flight while you had Hartley - would it be fair to say he lucked out with Greg Stewart - Hemmings - Prime Gary Harkins? can mind those three being untouchable in a defeat to Dundee at Firhill.

I very much credit Hartley for signing the best players we've had this decade. Stewart and Hemmings worked wonders for an otherwise shite Cowdenbeath the season we went up, the potential was clearly there and Hartley was smart to quickly snap up Stewart next season and Hemmings the one following that after a short stint at Barnsley. Jeebsy always finds himself back at Dens, and I'm sure he wanted to be part of a successful Dee side in the Prem.

45 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely you also have to accept that it’s not an ideal situation when you can’t bring in your preferred coach. That can’t have helped.

I think he could have brought in Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, and Sir Alex bloody Ferguson if he'd wanted and we'd still have gone down. That team was honking, like a bawhair away from losing every single match by a bucketload honking.

Edited by Boo Khaki

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Has there ever been a time when the Dens crowd, or at least, a good portion of it wasn't baying for the manager's blood?

Other than the few and far between days that we've won leagues/humped the arabs/been given a -25 points penalty, I can't really recall any?

Lots of times, you don't even need to go that far back. I remember Hartley and McCann chants at Dens, and all they did was string a few wins together. If it seems like Dundee fans moan about the manager a lot, it's usually because he is doing a shite job.

Vince Mennie is the worst.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
9 hours ago, Yenitit said:
I think it would be quite possible. He’s the worst bar none in our history if not since the World War and I mean the 1st one!

Useless arab b*****d. 

Kernaghan and Coco were worse.

Kernaghan had the lowest budget of any manager ever and was appointed mid-season with the transfer window shut and forced to use a squad that was demoralised from relegation and felt responsible for getting the manager sacked after a midweek pumping from Stranraer.

Kernaghan is up there with the worst, but McIntyre took the biscuit for me.