Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's Next Permanent Manager?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 31/05/2019 at 23:16, Ludo*1 said:

Lads, it's time to buy in. Buy into a manager together for the first time since we all bought into Barry Smith in the Defiant season.

We're away to McPake the f**k out of the Championship next season:

On 25/05/2019 at 09:09, Ludo*1 said:

I'd be happy with McPake and someone experienced beside him. 

On 31/05/2019 at 17:08, Ludo*1 said:

How anyone can slag or slate the appointment of James McPake, with Andy O'Boyle as first team coach, Jimmy Nicholl as assistant and Gordon Strachan as overseer beats me. That's a massive coup for a side heading into the second tier of Scottish football. 

I'm delighted with it!

On 23/11/2020 at 07:33, Ludo*1 said:

Think you're making things up there Spud. I was accepting of him at the time because of some of the other names linked but I wasn't 'screaming' for him at all.

No idea what you're trying to get at tbh considering you want the joke figure at Kashmir! 

“I’m delighted with it!” 

“I was accepting of it”

2 hours ago, Da Bomb said:

“I’m delighted with it!” 

“I was accepting of it”

The context of the posts are important. The first post is after it'd leaked he got the job. The final three for the job were Jim Goodwin (Who you'd note was my preference if it was just one on their own when you go through my posts), James McPake (With Strachan, Nicholl & O'Boyle being his backroom team) or Kenny Miller.

I would still be delighted with McPake having been picked with that complete backroom set-up as was mooted. Andy O'Boyle is now the Head of Elite Development in the Premier League down South, Strachan was originally mooted as having more involvement and well, the idea of Jimmy Nicholl supporting McPake was absolutely 'delightful' if the alternative was Kenny Miller. That backroom team fully supporting a rookie manager would still be a coup!

As you'll note from my posts at the time - At not one point was I screaming for him to be signed - No matter how you to try frame it.

Edited by Ludo*1

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The context of the posts are important. The first post is after it'd leaked he got the job. The final three for the job were Jim Goodwin (Who you'd note was my preference when you go through my posts), James McPake (With Strachan, Nicholl & O'Boyle being his backroom team) or Kenny Miller.

I would still be delighted with McPake having been picked with that complete backroom set-up as was mooted. Andy O'Boyle is now the Head of Elite Development in the Premier League down South, Strachan was originally mooted as having more involvement and well, the idea of Jimmy Nicholl supporting McPake was absolutely 'delightful' if the alternative was Kenny Miller. That backroom team fully supporting a rookie manager would still be a coup!

As you'll note from my posts at the time - At not one point was I screaming for him to be signed - No matter how you to try frame it.

Why?  Even if he did have the skills to develop into a good manager (which IMHO he doesn’t) he would still have had to learn on the job.  We needed a manager with experience to get us out the Championship.  Simple as that. 

Edited by Shadow Play

8 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Why?  Even if he did have the skills to develop into a good manager (which IMHO he doesn’t) he would still have to have learned on the job.  We needed a manager with experience to get us out the Championship.  Simple as that. 

Jimmy Nicholl as assistant was a much better idea on paper than it turned out to be. I originally thought Strachan would be more hands on. And Andy O'Boyle would have been a massive coup on his own not only for his coaching reputation but also for the contacts we'd have been able to tap into.

I thought at the time that a successful team built around McPake would have been better than Goodwin on his own or Kenny Miller. Goodwin was by far the best option if it were just on his own but as he's proving at St Mirren, I don't think we'd have been a 100x better than we are now if we had him.

The manager I wanted last time round was Weighorst or Duffy (And I said at the time I expected to be slated for that shout) IIRC.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jimmy Nicholl as assistant was a much better idea on paper than it turned out to be. I originally thought Strachan would be more hands on. And Andy O'Boyle would have been a massive coup on his own not only for his coaching reputation but also for the contacts we'd have been able to tap into.

I thought at the time that a successful team built around McPake would have been better than Goodwin on his own or Kenny Miller. Goodwin was by far the best option if it were just on his own but as he's proving at St Mirren, I don't think we'd have been a 100x better than we are now if we had him.

The manager I wanted last time round was Weighorst or Duffy (And I said at the time I expected to be slated for that shout) IIRC.

At least he was justified a job in some way working with NI, Rangers and St Mirren relatively recently whilst Mackay come in off the back of coaching St Johnstone's 20s and then that spell part-time managing Stirling. Nicholl may have been competent and playing a part but there's only so much that could do if the manager is so much out of his depth. Inclined to think he was good at his job for what it's worth but that's a guess, we had some horror shows last season but we never had a 5 game run as bad as this.

The O'Boyle and Strachan stuff was pretty disingenuous from McPake and the club, they knew what they were doing and were careful in the language they used knowing that it would create a misleading narrative.