Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's Next Permanent Manager?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't think Wright or Levein would be interested so failing that out of the names mentioned John Hughes.

A legend at falkirk and ICT and has won this league before. Would inspire the players more than McPake who has all the  personality of a jacket potato without any toppings.

I think a job like Dundee would be too early for crawford but i was impressed by the pars last night

Edited by Gold Dee

Stevie Crawford wouldn't come to Dundee at the moment. Too many emotional ties to Dunfermline, not big enough of a jump and would be quite the step back in terms of him having to start over at a club hitting rock bottom again.

Crawford also seems to be developing a decent reputation rather quickly on here this season because Dunfermline look like a decent outfit despite him being pretty McPake-esque every other season he's been in management.

What a new member to enter the pantheon of posters that make me go "whit?" whenever I read their posts.

Any manager who's already got a job is pretty much off the table in my mind, never mind a manager that has his team in the top of our league and looks pretty comfortable rn.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Decided to have a look at how our managers have fared in the second tier in the past (post-1970), in order to see where McPake really stands in terms of win percentage, not including interim managers unless they become proper managers later on.

Paul Hartley - 14 GP, 9 W, 2 D, 3 L - 64.29%
Tommy Gemmell - 78 GP, 49 W,14 D, 15 L - 62.82% 
Gordon Wallace - 48 GP, 30 W, 8 D, 10 L - 62.50%
Jocky Scott - 12 GP, 7 W, 2 D, 3 L - 58.33%
Don Mackay - 39 GP, 22 W, 8 D, 9 L - 56.41%
John Brown - 22 GP, 12 W, 4 D, 6 L - 54.55%
David White - 39 GP, 21 W, 9 D, 9 L - 53.85%
Barry Smith - 66 GP, 32 W, 20 D, 14 L - 48.49%
Jim Duffy - 95 GP, 46 W, 28 D, 21 L - 48.42% 
Alex Rae - 82 GP, 39 W, 17 D, 26 L - 47.56%
John McCormack - 40 GP, 19 W, 14 D, 7 L - 47.50%
Iain Munro - 20 GP, 9 W, 7 D, 4 L - 45.00%
Simon Stainrod - 13 GP, 5 W, 5 D, 3 L - 38.46%
James McPake - 32 GP, 12 W, 10 D, 10 L - 37.50%
Gordon Chisholm - 17 GP, 6 W, 5 D, 6 L - 35.29%
Alan Kernaghan - 30 GP, 6 W, 14 D, 10 L - 20.00%

Illustrious company there. Alternatively here's the losing percentages of each manager. Sure wouldn't want to be near the top of this list.

Gordon Chisholm - 35.29%
Alan Kernaghan - 33.33%
Alex Rae - 31.71%
James McPake - 31.25%
John Brown - 27.27%
Jocky Scott - 25.00%
Simon Stainrod - 23.08%
David White - 23.08%
Don Mackay - 23.08%
Jim Duffy - 22.11%
Paul Hartley - 21.43%
Barry Smith - 21.21%
Gordon Wallace - 20.83%
Iain Munro - 20.00%
Tommy Gemmell - 19.23%
John McCormack - 17.50%

Worse than Iain Munro and Barry Smith?!

There can be no greater indignity. 

Petrie has done a terrific job at Montrose. They play good football and he has built a hardworking team with a lot of pace. I know he has a good job outside of football but you'd imagine he'd jump at going to Dundee.

Shocked at the lack of a "Kenny Miller" option.

If I had to put money on three wild stabs, Miller would definitely be one of them. Prototypical Dundee managerial appointment. Recently/near retired player, no managerial experience of note, comes across as being as thick as two short planks, former OF player, seems to already  be one of those faces that 'do the rounds' and clubs appoint over and over for no discernible reason.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Shocked at the lack of a "Kenny Miller" option.

If I had to put money on three wild stabs, Miller would definitely be one of them. Prototypical Dundee managerial appointment. Recently/near retired player, no managerial experience of note, comes across as being as thick as two short planks, former OF player, seems to already  be one of those faces that 'do the rounds' and clubs appoint over and over for no discernible reason.

Only reason he wasn't included on the list is that he's assistant manager for the club Dorrans just joined and was apparently a big reason for Dorrans being on the 'radar'. Be some jump.

I'm expecting Michael Stewart tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Only reason he wasn't included on the list is that he's assistant manager for the club Dorrans just joined and was apparently a big reason for Dorrans being on the 'radar'. Be some jump.

I'm expecting Michael Stewart tbh. 

"homesick"

aka nae kebab shops in Australia/WAG couldnae find a decent Jimmy Choo outlet so moaned the place doon

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, David W said:

Petrie has done a terrific job at Montrose. They play good football and he has built a hardworking team with a lot of pace. I know he has a good job outside of football but you'd imagine he'd jump at going to Dundee.

Pretty sure he still lives in Dundee as well.

But leave him be. He's the next Pars manager!

Anyway, regardless of who it is, I look forward to John Hughes' tearful interview where he complains that, once again, he didn't even get an interview and can't figure out why.

11 hours ago, capt_oats said:

From the outside looking in Dundee seem like the sort of club that have everything Wright would want - a Chief Exec who seems happy to hand the "football department" over to his manager, an owner who has demonstrably backed each manager with cash (so no more of the public back and forth he had with Brown to eke out a bit more cash every time he wanted a player in Perth), they're a club who are playing in a league where they have more than enough budget to be competitive and in terms of size Dundee's not a club that would be seen as a step down from where he was.

Having said all that Nelms will probably give it to Charlie Adam eh?

While you make a good point about what other jobs are likely to be available to Wright and as you say Dundee are a club who realistically could be taken to the position he had St Johnstone in, is he going to be that eager to get back into management that he jumps into this?

I don't think it's a stretch that he prefers to sit with his feet up and wait for a club in a more favourable position than taking a Championship job mid-season when there's a club with a far larger budget in the division and they're already 8 points off the top, even if that means staying out of work for an extended time. The title is already realistically gone, is he going to stake a hard earned reputation as one of the best managers in the country on getting another manager's flawed squad through playoffs? If the Dundee and Ross County jobs were to come up at the same time I don't think it's anywhere close to a guarantee that he'd be choosing the Dundee job despite the greater long term potential.

You've mentioned the Northern Ireland job as possibly being a factor for Robinson staying put at Motherwell until his and Baraclough's contracts expire in 2022, but Wright and Robinson are surely as aware as everyone else outside the IFA that Baraclough is a total clownshoe who has every chance of doing so badly he won't last that long. Whether that puts Robinson back into contention for that job and presents the possibility of the Motherwell job or not, NI is Wright's dream job as well. Sitting around hoping that becomes available again could well be more appealing than going back to day to day club management and hoping to scrap his way out of the Championship via the playoffs.