Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's Next Permanent Manager?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, HMIP said:

There must be another club that he’s always said he’s always wanted to go back to?

He has said that about us once or twice if I recall but the last time he thought he had the Dundee job was top shithousery by our previous board.

Agree terms with him, have him in the car from Glasgow driving down to sign only for him to hear on the radio that his best mate and former assistant has got the job instead. He has to 'pull over he was so angry.'

Petrie absolutely ruined Dundee United back in 1996. Big money United were title certs. Petrie came to Tanndice, charged down a keeper clearance to score the only goal, roughed up Malpas for a soft sending off and was forever a club legend and of course a First Division winner. 

Normally in these cases, we can all have a laugh at the shite list of candidates I've posted or that a bookie will link. The unusual thing in this case is that you can pretty much appoint any joke candidate like Mark McGhee or John Hughes and still see an improvement on the utter shite we are getting.

Normally in these cases, we can all have a laugh at the shite list of candidates I've posted or that a bookie will link. The unusual thing in this case is that you can pretty much appoint any joke candidate like Mark McGhee or John Hughes and still see an improvement on the utter shite we are getting.

Both have had periods of success. It’s Hobson’s choice but I’d prefer McGhee out of those pair.

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Both have had periods of success. It’s Hobson’s choice but I’d prefer McGhee out of those pair.

That's what I'm saying. We can appoint a manager that'd be universally laughed at by fans of other clubs and generates total seethe from all Dundee fans, but I can't imagine they'd come in and do much worse than we're currently doing.

Literally anyone can be an improvement and that's not some RandomGuy style hyperbole.

Decided to have a look at how our managers have fared in the second tier in the past (post-1970), in order to see where McPake really stands in terms of win percentage, not including interim managers unless they become proper managers later on.

Paul Hartley - 14 GP, 9 W, 2 D, 3 L - 64.29%
Tommy Gemmell - 78 GP, 49 W,14 D, 15 L - 62.82% 
Gordon Wallace - 48 GP, 30 W, 8 D, 10 L - 62.50%
Jocky Scott - 12 GP, 7 W, 2 D, 3 L - 58.33%
Don Mackay - 39 GP, 22 W, 8 D, 9 L - 56.41%
John Brown - 22 GP, 12 W, 4 D, 6 L - 54.55%
David White - 39 GP, 21 W, 9 D, 9 L - 53.85%
Barry Smith - 66 GP, 32 W, 20 D, 14 L - 48.49%
Jim Duffy - 95 GP, 46 W, 28 D, 21 L - 48.42% 
Alex Rae - 82 GP, 39 W, 17 D, 26 L - 47.56%
John McCormack - 40 GP, 19 W, 14 D, 7 L - 47.50%
Iain Munro - 20 GP, 9 W, 7 D, 4 L - 45.00%
Simon Stainrod - 13 GP, 5 W, 5 D, 3 L - 38.46%
James McPake - 32 GP, 12 W, 10 D, 10 L - 37.50%
Gordon Chisholm - 17 GP, 6 W, 5 D, 6 L - 35.29%
Alan Kernaghan - 30 GP, 6 W, 14 D, 10 L - 20.00%

Illustrious company there. Alternatively here's the losing percentages of each manager. Sure wouldn't want to be near the top of this list.

Gordon Chisholm - 35.29%
Alan Kernaghan - 33.33%
Alex Rae - 31.71%
James McPake - 31.25%
John Brown - 27.27%
Jocky Scott - 25.00%
Simon Stainrod - 23.08%
David White - 23.08%
Don Mackay - 23.08%
Jim Duffy - 22.11%
Paul Hartley - 21.43%
Barry Smith - 21.21%
Gordon Wallace - 20.83%
Iain Munro - 20.00%
Tommy Gemmell - 19.23%
John McCormack - 17.50%

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I suppose Wright's in a curious position. If he's looking to stay in Scotland then there are probably only a handful of clubs that would make sense as a next step after St Johnstone.

You definitely rule out Celtic and Rangers, probably rule out Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts.

It seems to be accepted that a big part of him leaving St Johnstone was the chief exec being brought in so if he had problems with her you can't see him working with Fat Tony at United and the Martindale factor at Livi seems problematic. St Mirren also have their own "St Mirren are a Top 4 club" chief exec - that doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

It sounds wanky but I'd have thought that Accies would be a bit too much of a risk given the reputation and legacy he built up at Perth. County? Could he really do much there in terms of growth?

Which leaves Killie and Motherwell. Neither manager seems likely to be removed from post any time soon as they're doing alright and I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson had his eye on the NI job when his and Baraclough's contracts expire in 2022.

From the outside looking in Dundee seem like the sort of club that have everything Wright would want - a Chief Exec who seems happy to hand the "football department" over to his manager, an owner who has demonstrably backed each manager with cash (so no more of the public back and forth he had with Brown to eke out a bit more cash every time he wanted a player in Perth), they're a club who are playing in a league where they have more than enough budget to be competitive and in terms of size Dundee's not a club that would be seen as a step down from where he was.

Having said all that Nelms will probably give it to Charlie Adam eh?

Edited by capt_oats