What Comic Did You Buy When You Were A Nipper?

D.A.F.C

Scoop was a DC Thomson publication and somehow an East Fife fan made it on to the editorial team. 

Goalie Alan Blair got into the UK team of the week and we got a colour team pic on the back page, albeit alongside our less salubrious Kirkcaldy neighbours... 

3 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Not an actual comic but used to love George and Lynn. A true hero of our time 

image.jpeg.06a02db9118ba9faafec00c54e4dc051.jpeg

There was something deeply seedy about that pair...I always imagined if the strip went on long enough it would culminate in George organising a bukkake session for Lynn.

16 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

There was something deeply seedy about that pair...I always imagined if the strip went on long enough it would culminate in George organising a bukkake session for Lynn.

I think it was the Spitting Image book that did a spoof of them indulging in spot of swinging with The Gambols.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just the Beano and this:

Screenshot_2020-11-21-11-41-07-1.png.f1c2a66d97cdef10f9540e013a0a038a.png

I remember making my own comic when I was in P7, although 'Skoop' came to an abrupt end soon after my mum started charging me for the raw materials I was nabbing for it.  An early lesson in profit margins saw the business become uneconomical and whenever I see 'Wee Gary' in Limmy's Show, it reminds me of that time. 

My younger brother had a subscription but I always read this. Was a top comic. Mutant League was probably my favourite (and their games remain immense).

I was a Beano reader as a lad. My younger brother was a Dandy. 

Mind being mental excited to buy the Beano VHS. Got it from John Menzies on Dunfermline high street. Oddly all the characters had cockney accents. Can still mind much of the Bash Street Kids song. Think there was a second VHS, but it was shite.

Like everyone else I was well in to Oor Wullie and The Broons (with the former being my preference). Used to get the Sunday Post mainly for that (although they actually used to have really good Scottish football coverage).

Can't stand them now. Think they're twee, shortbread tin shite. 

My older brother had a brief period of getting Batman comics. I mind reading the Knightfall series and it was brilliant. I got the series myself a few years back but they were lost in some mental haze.

13 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

The Beano. Much better The Dandy.

'Match' too if it could be included as a comic. Used to love finding out who Rochdale beat or what the crowd was at Boothferry Park. Braw posters too when you're 8 and 9.

All of the above.  Reading Match cover-to-cover and with no responsibilities or stress, it was piss easy to compile expert levels of knowledge on every aspect of football.  My wall (and school jotters) were covered in the posters.  Personal favourites included Savo Milosevic of Aston Villa and the Coca Cola Cup winning Raith Rovers side.  I also remember there being a Steve Brewster poster when he won the Scottish cup(?) which was rare given it was generally an English based mag. 

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

My kids have been playing with my old action force toys and I’ve been wondering what that fu Manchu looking nazi type was called, cheers.

An 80s kid with a good memory writes:

Baron Ironblood

Action Force seemed to have been the UK version of what the Yanks called GI Joe. 

Tbh I could bore for hours about UK comics

The Beezer was the first comic I remember. I got it and TV Comic when I was in hospital to get my tonsils out. It was about the size of a tabloid back then with a section in the middle that was comic sized. 

Then I read the Nutty which had Bananaman. And a strip by Bananaman artist John Geering called The Snobbs and the Slobbs (posh family v poor family). Memorably Pa Slobb was once challenged to play a musical instrument by his posh neighbour and he came out playing the toilet!

My mates read the Topper, Beezer and Dandy so we swapped with each other. Also the Tiger which had a strip called "Death Wish". A racing driver had suffered bad facial injuries in a crash so he couldn't be bothered going on living and used to do heroic stunts each week not caring if he lived or died. Looking back with today's views it seems a sick concept.

I used to read some of the IPC comics- Buster, Whoopee and Whizzer and Chips. Whizzer and Chips was meant to be two rival comics in one.

Then 2000AD. Splundig Vir thrigg Squaxx dek Thargo. 2000AD is now owned by electronic games company Rebellion and they got the rights to old British comics and have re-released some old 70s classics recently such as Hookjaw 

I've also got the collected Dudley D Watkins "Oor Wullie and The Broons". The old annuals used to be like gold dust back in the day as they tended to fall apart easily.

I also got some old 1950s Eagle Annuals in a jumble sale- they were quite good in a wholesome way.

The Beano was my first comic, was given a copy when I was 6 before going across to Mull for a few days. I can remember being obsessed by the Numbskulls, thought they were brilliant. 

Flirted with The Dandy, but never really got into it. Would only get it if there was a free pack of sweets with it. 

Once I hit 9/10 I moved onto Match & Shoot. As others have said, the posters were the big draw. Was nice to be able to cover my maths jotter in a picture of Claus Lundekvam opposed to some old wallpaper we had lying about. 

Towards the late 90s,seemed to be a different football magazine coming out each week. Can remember a really good one called Goal, the first issue came with a water bottle. 

The Numbskulls were first in the Beezer and were in the head of an old git.

They were updated to live in the head of a young lad when the strip ended up in the Beano. I think it was Tom Paterson who drew it in the Beano- he did Sweeney Toddler for IPC and one of my favourites, Calamity James, for The Beano (and has been doing strips for Viz recently)

35 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The Numbskulls were first in the Beezer and were in the head of an old git.

They were updated to live in the head of a young lad when the strip ended up in the Beano. I think it was Tom Paterson who drew it in the Beano- he did Sweeney Toddler for IPC and one of my favourites, Calamity James, for The Beano (and has been doing strips for Viz recently)

To link a couple of your themes, i was on a work trip and bought a Viz for reading. My colleague couldn't understand why i had tears rolling down my cheeks and just couldn't see the funny side of The Numbnuts and their Spunk Dept.