Death penalty

welshbairn

1 hour ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Death itself is no punishment for people who commit crimes of this horrible nature. 

I don't really know what the answer is but I'd edge on the idea that they should never have another easy day for the rest of their lives. Quite how that would manifest I'm not sure but it should be an inch away from torture. 

As a worker in the CJ system for decades, you always have to hold out for the remote possibility of rehabilitating even the worst offenders. Experience has taught me that there are a minority who will never change. This leaves two options, either of which works for me:

1. They are treated as pariahs by their fellow inmates, most of whom do adhere to a moral code which, while not compatible with wider society, is more rigid and carries more severe sanctions, some of which may well result in serious injury or death.

2. They actually come to understand the enormity of their actions and, finally feeling guilty, pass their own personal death sentence.

32 minutes ago, coprolite said:

In third place, a good flaying like they used to do for the heretics.

In second place, unarmed combat with wild beasts, like they used to do for the Christians. 

But the best capital punishment is the one out of Shaka Zulu where they shove a sharpened log up the offenders bottom, turn it vertical and watch them slide down. 

The Americans are really a bunch of pussies with this medicine shite. 

Our tactic of inadequate protection among the prison population works a treat for us. No appeals for Fred West. 

Anyway. Not in favour, it's barbaric. 

Fred topped himself, joining Harold Shipman in the Gareth Gates Club.

I don't usually have much sympathy for murderers and my objection to the death sentence isn't because it's likely to be unfair to them, although it may well be, especially when they have the wrong man/woman. It's mainly about a clerk/politician/judge, or even a jury, having the right to say whether someone safely locked up in a cell should live or die with a tick of a pen.

22 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Fred topped himself, joining Harold Shipman in the Gareth Gates Club.

Did he now? I thought i remembered something about him getting sodomised with a mop but i guess that must have been non-fatal, possibly even a leisure activity. 

I'm baffled by the connection to a low quality pop star though. What's that about? 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Did he now? I thought i remembered something about him getting sodomised with a mop but i guess that must have been non-fatal, possibly even a leisure activity. 

I'm baffled by the connection to a low quality pop star though. What's that about? 

I know I'll get pelters for this but...

Spoiler

They struggled to finish a sentence

That'll be Prison Humour for you..

ETA: I've seen loads of things inserted in offenders, from bog brushes to newspapers (rolled up, obviously) to, yes, mop handles.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

Nah, no point in the death penalty IMO.  I think there was a study in America done where they concluded it costs a state more to execute someone, than to keep them in jail the rest of their days.  Something to do with appeals and court cases and the like.

Plus, it doesn't bring anyone back.

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I know I'll get pelters for this but...

Hide contents

They struggled to finish a sentence

That'll be Prison Humour for you..

ETA: I've seen loads of things inserted in offenders, from bog brushes to newspapers (rolled up, obviously) to, yes, mop handles.

I had to ask

1 minute ago, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

100% against. It's easy to read an article in the moment and say "well i'd make an exception here....". But if you read every news article about the crimes of everybody put on death row, then you'd want to make that same exception for all of them.

Absolutely - I honestly believe Mr and mrs Average have very little appreciation of how depraved some criminals are. I've lost count at the number of times I've had "civvies" talk about Ian Huntley as if he was the worst of the worst. Mrs WRK got upset at me when I reacted once, "for a start, they weren't his own kids", but there are so, so many monsters in our Prisons - the majority of whose cases get processed without wall-wall coverage on Sky.

3 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

I am totally opposed to the death penalty in 100% of cases, apart from people who dawdle in supermarkets. 

Kill them all now.

I'm cool with dawdling but any c**t who doesn't put the wee divider thing on the checkout conveyer belt after they've emptied their trolley deserves the most painful and humiliating execution imaginable.

2 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

If there was any useful, logical, verified research that suggested the death penalty was an effective deterrent then I'd be all for it. There isn't and therefore I am not. 

An easy way out for offenders as well IMO. Given the choice of the rest of my life behind bars or the death penalty, I reckon I'd choose the death penalty every time. 

3 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I thought this was going to be about Dougie Gair's at the death penalty that relegated The 'Shire. 

Anyway, no to the Death Penalty under any circumstances.

A greenie for mentioning Sir Douglas and for opposing the Death penalty.

I hope you haven't woken @MAC THE KNIFE from his sleep...