Edinburgh City Vs Stranraer

Back to League action this weekend, and we welcome  Stranraer to Ainslie Park.

Edinburgh's most recent game saw a decent 0-1 win away at League one Airdrie.

Stranraer have shown some good form recently with wins over Cowdenbeath and Hamilton Accies.

Should be a good game. (As long as it's not too windy!)

I think I've seen Stranraer about 4 times in 34 years, including a game at Stair Park. This is the least of any Scottish League team. Therefore they're a bit 'meh" in that I don't dislike them or unlike say, Elgin, have a slight respect for.

Maybe I need to try inducing an edge to the match: You may be celebrating 150 years of general meh-ness but City beat you in the 1947 Qualifying Cup Final so get it up you..

Naw, didn't work. 0-0 draw prediction then to reflect the general meh-ness all round.

ETA: ClayholeBlue seems a good guy though 

Edited by tamthebam

1 minute ago, beefybake said:

meh...

My thoughts exactly 

City are now only 3 points ahead of Brechin. OK Qu££ns Park were going to be favourites to win this league but our form isn't great and Elgin, Stirling, Stenny and today's opponents are likely to be fighting for a play off places. I wouldn't rule out Annan either. So things are a bit concerning..

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

How can you get to 67 mins at home and have NO shots?! 

Cos it appears we're shite this season!   Didn't we also have no shots on target a few weeks back when we lost at home to 10 man Cowdenbeath?

We definately have a poorer squad now than the last two seasons, although injuries to 3 or 4 of our best players aren't helping. The warning signs were there pre-season, when we were scrapping about signing loads of young boys on loan deals to beef the numbers up.

Obviously Queen's Park are going to win the league at a canter,  but at the moment we'll even be lucky to get one of the three playoff spots, as  Stranraer  and others like  Elgin and  Stirling seem better than us.

Thought we thoroughly deserved the points today. We might have added to our lead but, to be fair, Antell pulled off some really decent saves.

Hugely disciplined display and we kept our shape from start to finish. City are a side that love to pass the ball about but we pressed them high up the park and they struggled to make inroads.

The referee was a strange one - contrived to book nine players - 7 from City - in a match with scarcely a bad tackle. Probably the only correct one was for Henderson’s simulation!

Will take that display and result all day long.

3 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Cos it appears we're shite this season!   Didn't we also have no shots on target a few weeks back when we lost at home to 10 man Cowdenbeath?

We definately have a poorer squad now than the last two seasons, although injuries to 3 or 4 of our best players aren't helping. The warning signs were there pre-season, when we were scrapping about signing loads of young boys on loan deals to beef the numbers up.

Obviously Queen's Park are going to win the league at a canter,  but at the moment we'll even be lucky to get one of the three playoff spots, as  Stranraer  and others like  Elgin and  Stirling seem better than us.

We must have had at least one shot against Cowden because I can remember their keeper making some good saves and I'm sure we hit the bar 

It's been a failing of City teams in the past (by which I mean in the East of Scotland and Lowland Leagues as well as SPFL) to play "tippy tappy football" without a cutting edge. 

Rosco Allum made a difference because as well as being a fine player he didn't mind putting a 1 yard tap in away. Sometimes route 1 can be a thing of beauty too and it's getting that elusive mix between elegance and brutality that makes the difference.

On 20/11/2020 at 16:50, tamthebam said:

I think I've seen Stranraer about 4 times in 34 years, including a game at Stair Park. This is the least of any Scottish League team. Therefore they're a bit 'meh" in that I don't dislike them or unlike say, Elgin, have a slight respect for.

Maybe I need to try inducing an edge to the match: You may be celebrating 150 years of general meh-ness but City beat you in the 1947 Qualifying Cup Final so get it up you..

Naw, didn't work. 0-0 draw prediction then to reflect the general meh-ness all round.

ETA: ClayholeBlue seems a good guy though 

Ground share w**k*rs! 

16 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Thought we thoroughly deserved the points today. We might have added to our lead but, to be fair, Antell pulled off some really decent saves.

Hugely disciplined display and we kept our shape from start to finish. City are a side that love to pass the ball about but we pressed them high up the park and they struggled to make inroads.

The referee was a strange one - contrived to book nine players - 7 from City - in a match with scarcely a bad tackle. Probably the only correct one was for Henderson’s simulation!

Will take that display and result all day long.

Good goal chalked off, clear penalty in the first half and hitting the bar...maybe a draw was the fair result.  

We need to attack more and look to provide more crosses.  Currently very defensive midfield and not penetrating enough.  But we will recover hopefully and go for the top 4.  Only 2 points off the play off's.  Lets attack and have a go lads, we have the attacking options.  

Edited by City Jacobite