Karlan Grant has a Scottish Mother

Rest I think are on the Grand Parent rule

But so what other better bigger teams use it

And our team needs as much quality as we can find

As our last two games proved especially up front

Look at the pool of players the Serbs can pull in for example

Who have only two million more people than us

Playing in top flight nations band nations were we haven't got any players in

Remember that squad were Robertson and Tierney were injured?

Would sooner have Bryan and Targett involved

Both can play wing back

Who got brought in Taylor Shinnie or Douglas?

I want to see the best players playing for Scotland

Like a club side mentality and Targett plays with McGinn

Angus Gunn does not want to play for Scotland

12 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

We can still have a club side mentality cos they know each other

And play in the same teams as some of our players

Our pool of players is to shallow for a nation out size

If we are aiming to qualify for the world cup

Our standard has to be raised higher

And need players who are up against quality each week to play for us

And not struggle against the pot four and five seeds

Look how Craig Brown kept faith in the old guard

And that was when our national teams decline happened

I don't want that to happen to us again

We are poor up front and at right back right wing back

It's Clarkes job to address this and go after other options

What is the worse that can happen?

We get knocked back again?

I bet you're a big fan of Shakespeare's sonnets.

With regards to our formation someone on Sportsound ( I know ) said that with Killie SSC nearly always played a back four

and I think he reverted to this in the latter stages of the last two games but without any real wingers ,  eg a fit Forrest , so we were still struggling

Burke in the end was not a success

Edited by ewan14

11 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The formation is fine when winning, or against attacking teams.  It is wholly ineffective against teams like Israel who put 10 men behind the ball.  Simply, there aren't enough options.

Other than Forrest and Fraser, I can see no one outside the current squad with any stake to a starting place.

I'd like to see Gilmour getting game time for Chelsea, and then having a shot at being a squad player.

We are desperate for a real goalscorer, and really need another Ryan Fraser-type player.  Our current squad is staggeringly slow.  There's no wonder KT was our best player on Sunday - he appears to be the only player in that squad fast enough to beat a man.

We don't pass it quick enough otherwise, and 3-5-2 means no overloading the flanks so we don't get behind the opposition very often.

Mikey Johnstone fits the bill here. If he can get over his injuries. 

I'd also like to see Gilmour (if he plays for first team at club). I feel we should now bring only players that are or are potentially excellent where we have strength, as I dont see point in bringing in more players of a similar or even lower level like ferguson, campbell. They dont improve us imo, just means giving guys less experience for no improvement in quality.

I'm a big fan of what Clarke has achieved with the 3-4-1-2 formation in the two play-off games and the two Nations League games in between them (across which we only conceded one goal), but I wonder if a 4-5-1 might have been better against Israel in that last game, when we expect to have more of the ball and don't need to be as cautious at the back. Israel didn't create much besides the goal, which would likely have been defended just as well by a pairing of McKenna and Gallagher.

There will be more options for a four-at-the-back formation once Fraser and Forrest return, but Christie could have played left-wing and Burke right-wing in that last Israel game. Chances are the 3-4-1-2 will suit us better at the Euros though.

Nisbet is worth a look. I wonder if Ross Stewart may be one day too. I’d have never thought Dykes would be good enough so these guys can surprise us. 

siriki dembele has premier league teams looking at him. If Fredericks or Che Adams were available, it would be negligent not to have a look. 

Gauld, gilmou or patterson could all hit form by then too. It’s a long way away. 

You can’t call all these guys up as it upsets the rhythm but one or two can keep things fresh. 

Our formation is fine both of them we can get wins over in
Poor finishing has cost us in last few games
New players to take us forward
Probably gonna get myself a few reds here
Ryan Fredericks is up grade in Palmer and I Donnell more attacking threat or look at Todd Kane
Wouldn't mind  Che Adams and Karlan Grant up front
Matt Targett as another left sided midfield option and Joe Bryan is a upgrade on Greg Taylor
Steven Caulker is top of Turkish league better than yes Sir I can boogie
As is Alfie Mawson at Bristol City 
Angus Gunn to cos our keepers are getting old we shouldn't give up on
Wouldn't mind a call up for Paterson to there who is in good form
if we get any of these guys interested we should improve bout depth and our over all quality

None of these players came forward to help us during our qualifying campaign so they clearly aren’t that bothered about playing for Scotland.

Clark will take the best squad he can, if all the English born players suddenly become available alongside some of our other options then the realistic choices he'd have to make would be looking at our squad players against them.

Gunn vs McLaughlin

Fredericks vs O'Donnell

Kane vs Palmer

Mawson vs Considine

Caulker vs McKenna

Bryan/Targett vs Taylor

Gilmour vs McLean

Gauld vs Paterson

Adams vs Shankland

Grant vs Burke

Gilmour and Gauld are the only actual Scots I can see really pushing for inclusion. I'm not a fan of parachuting players in to a squad that did the job but clearly some of these lads would improve our depth.

I would love us to be allowed a B squad

And we could put a new team together

Without us dropping down the rankings If we lose

McCrorie

Clarke

Steer

Grimmer

Kane

Rose

Hyam

M Wallace

Lindsay if fit

Devlin

Hickey

Doig

J Paterson

Gauld

Fulton

Mowatt

J Lindsay

McCrorie

Ferguson

Johnston if fit

S Dembele

Nisbet

Hornby

Clarke

Stewart

Struggled to come up with strikers who haven't already been capped

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2020 at 08:14, Tartan Dave said:

Nisbet is worth a look. I wonder if Ross Stewart may be one day too. I’d have never thought Dykes would be good enough so these guys can surprise us. 

siriki dembele has premier league teams looking at him. If Fredericks or Che Adams were available, it would be negligent not to have a look. 

Gauld, gilmou or patterson could all hit form by then too. It’s a long way away. 

You can’t call all these guys up as it upsets the rhythm but one or two can keep things fresh. 

Yeah I’m definitely open to seeing Stewart in March squad after watching him today. Give clarke a look at him, if he doesn't fancy him, so be it. 

A

On 20/11/2020 at 01:29, ros20 said:

I'm a big fan of what Clarke has achieved with the 3-4-1-2 formation in the two play-off games and the two Nations League games in between them (across which we only conceded one goal), but I wonder if a 4-5-1 might have been better against Israel in that last game, when we expect to have more of the ball and don't need to be as cautious at the back. Israel didn't create much besides the goal, which would likely have been defended just as well by a pairing of McKenna and Gallagher.

There will be more options for a four-at-the-back formation once Fraser and Forrest return, but Christie could have played left-wing and Burke right-wing in that last Israel game. Chances are the 3-4-1-2 will suit us better at the Euros though.

Do englandshire not play with two , pacy , wide men ?

Our three at the back formation might struggle if so. Fraser would have to be on the right to help defend the space and might find it hard to support Dykes

If they have good seasons I would like to see Gilmour , Hendry and Hickey in the squad but atm I do not know who could provide more goals

S Dembele is a good player, he'll not be at Peterborough much longer and the upper end of the championship seems his level, however if he doesn't move there before January then I can't see him being involved. 

If I was having a squad I'd currently go for these players in the roles

Gk- Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin 

Rwb-O'Donnel, Palmer

Lwb- Robertson

CB-Mctominay, Gallacher, Tierney, Cooper, McKenna

Cdm-Jack, Gilmour*

Cm-McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong 

Cam-Christie, Fraser, Forrest

St-Dykes, Griffiths, Burke, Nisbet*

That'd be my shot in the dark, only having 23 spaces makes me wonder why managers are always dead set on having three goalkeepers, take away one off Gordon/McLaughlin and it would allow extra cover at cdm (McCrorie) or at Lwb (Taylor?), players annotated with an asterisk are those currently not in the squad, I can't see there being wholesale changes at all, very few spaces. 

I'm sure North Korea tried that for the World Cup, didn't they?  They were aware of the rule for 3 keepers, so they took along 2 and had their third as an outfield player.  FIFA cottoned on and got them telt, so he was only allowed to participate as a keeper.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/03/north-korea-world-cup-goalkeeper-gamble

On 19/11/2020 at 13:08, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Nisbet is wholly unproven.  A few goals in the SPL does not make him the standard required.

How does one become 'proven' unless they are given a chance?

Why is Shankland in the squad? Nisbet has scored far more in the Premiership than him and was close to scoring the same as him in the Championship last season.

P.S. The SPL doesn't exist in Scottish football and hasn't done so for years. It is a defunct league and body.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I'm sure North Korea tried that for the World Cup, didn't they?  They were aware of the rule for 3 keepers, so they took along 2 and had their third as an outfield player.  FIFA cottoned on and got them telt, so he was only allowed to participate as a keeper.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/03/north-korea-world-cup-goalkeeper-gamble

Yeah, until we develop a domestic Jorge Campos we’ll be stuck with three out-and-out ‘keepers.

On 20/11/2020 at 12:52, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

I would love us to be allowed a B squad

And we could put a new team together

Without us dropping down the rankings If we lose

McCrorie

Clarke

Steer

Grimmer

Kane

Rose

Hyam

M Wallace