WOSFL in Tier 4

8 hours ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Millions of peoples Xmas ruined coz they are being forced off their work, while 48 guys go down the local park ( or travel across the country ) for a game of football coz they are "professional" Madness.....all while only 20 mourners are allowed to bury their loved ones.

7 hours ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Where i dont agree they should be open atleast it is for education purposes. Not coz they make £15 expenses a week

^^^These.

Imagine saying that because educational establishments are open (albeit they bloody well should be masked up, if they're not) then non league football without spectators should be permitted.  

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

^^^These.

Imagine saying that because educational establishments are open (albeit they bloody well should be masked up, if they're not) then non league football without spectators should be permitted.  

I hardly think a few dozen people playing football outside is the same as schools rammed with thousands of kids.

Most schools have entire classes isolating and teachers and pupils off but must stay open.

The numbers went way down in the first lockdown because they were closed.When they all opened up the numbers went way up,go figure.

19 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

I hardly think a few dozen people playing football outside is the same as schools rammed with thousands of kids.

Most schools have entire classes isolating and teachers and pupils off but must stay open.

The numbers went way down in the first lockdown because they were closed.When they all opened up the numbers went way up,go figure.

No dispute there. As long as you're not trying to suggest that they are equally important.

12 hours ago, Bankies Alive said:

Schools,colleges and Universities with thousands of pupils/students inside them with no masks or social distancing is more madness than that but for some reason they must stay open.

It's pretty clear that education is a higher priority than non league football though. 

The whole situation is riddled with anomalies but that doesn't really change the point that when you weigh up the benefits of non league football versus the risks (including to people who have nothing to do with the clubs), it is difficult to argue that it is in any way worth it. 

3 hours ago, Shanner said:

It's pretty clear that education is a higher priority than non league football though....

If they were serious about driving case numbers down to zero, education would move online. That's not happening because of education's role as a baby sitting service to keep a large portion of the workforce working normally. Most workplaces are not being closed down in the same way as schools because keeping the economy running also takes priority over driving case numbers down to zero. With schools and workplaces open what happens with non league professional football at this point doesn't matter much in the larger scheme of things and is in no way pivotal.

Fortunately vaccines now appear to be just around the corner, so there will be no more excuse for having politicians imposing absurdly detailed sets of lockdown rules just so they appear to be doing something when they are really just letting it rip to a large extent like we do with the flu every winter. The news on vaccines is better than we could ever reasonably have expected.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

26 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If they were serious about driving case numbers down to zero, education would move online. That's not happening because of education's role as a baby sitting service to keep a large portion of the workforce working normally. Most workplaces are not being closed down in the same way as schools because keeping the economy running also takes priority over driving case numbers down to zero. With schools and workplaces open what happens with non league professional football at this point doesn't matter much in the larger scheme of things and is in no way pivotal.

Fortunately vaccines now appear to be just around the corner, so there will be no more excuse for having politicians imposing absurdly detailed sets of lockdown rules just so they appear to be doing something when they are really just letting it rip to a large extent like we do with the flu every winter. The news on vaccines is better than we could ever reasonably have expected.

As a teacher, I can assure you there is much more to it than that, frankly cynical view. Online learning ticks the box as far as keeping kids busy goes but the effect on them is much deeper than that. I know the term "mental health" has become a bit of a watch word through this crisis but for our young people it really is a concern. Where I am, we have middle school and secondary students online learning at the moment and although we are covering the curriculum, the young people are visibly suffering. Not mixing or seeing their pals is hellish for them. School is more than just lessons, it's essential during our formative years. Although teaching and auxiliary staff and the kids themselves are at risk, we would rather have the weans at school than sitting at the kitchen table or in their bedroom glumly.

ETA- All of this is caveated with the agreement that schools must be huge breeding sites for the virus.

Edited by jimbaxters

I am the secretary for a Sunday Team .The reality is thats its hard for me to explain to my team why we arent allowed to play and follow the rules that we were given in August while WOSL teams are . So much so that Bellshill Athletic are advertising playing a game on the Matt Busby 3g which we use for training and  games . The majority of our players are early twenties and some are struggling with the mental health issues involved with this . 

Its laughable that this has been allowed to happen when several teams decided to not play this season - Its essentially for nothing as there are no promotions or relegations . Amatuers this would have been allowed to go on . The fact that Jason Leitch is refusing to answer why we arent allowed to play makes it even more frustrating .

In my opinion its should be one rule for all - Theres no difference between us playing a match at the Busby and Bellshill Athletic playing -Its actually ridiculous

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Driving it to zero was never realistic. Keeping the R number down and stopping the health service being swamped was about as far as any pre-vaccine objectives went. 

Personally I'm all for schools and education in general being kept going. I don't want the doctors and nurses in my old age to be socially awkward dunces after all. 

But back to the worth of closed doors, non league football right now. I still don't see how it's justified. Folks passion for fitba simply isn't enough to ignore the allowances that have to be made for it to happen and the risks inherent in those allowances. 

2 minutes ago, Shanner said:

...But back to the worth of closed doors, non league football right now. I still don't see how it's justified...

It's outdoors where transmission is very difficult for the most part involving young supremely fit adults under 40 and hence should be very low risk, if organised responsibly. Vaccines could be literally just days away from emergency approval now that are already in mass production and that should quickly start to protect those that actually do have something to worry about from this virus. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't an oncoming train.

59 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's outdoors where transmission is very difficult for the most part involving young supremely fit adults under 40 and hence should be very low risk, if organised responsibly. Vaccines could be literally just days away from emergency approval now that are already in mass production and that should quickly start to protect those that actually do have something to worry about from this virus. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't an oncoming train.

They will interact with other people outside of the football and pass it to them.  That's where it's going to get messy and involve people who are vulnerable. It simply cannot be assured that this isn't a risk. 

The vaccine can't come quickly enough obviously but the game should be a bogey until it's done. 

Some decent points again, can't understand why people are dead against playing football and the (likely) risks involved - bet the majority want the shops and pubs open ready for Christmas, safe as houses in there. Contradictory when the amateurs can't play, but the so called pro's are ok to play , when so few are getting tested across the game itself. Are people waiting for things to hit zero ? (Cases, deaths) Never gonna happen.

16 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Some decent points again, can't understand why people are dead against playing football and the (likely) risks involved - bet the majority want the shops and pubs open ready for Christmas, safe as houses in there. Contradictory when the amateurs can't play, but the so called pro's are ok to play , when so few are getting tested across the game itself. Are people waiting for things to hit zero ? (Cases, deaths) Never gonna happen.

No they’re waiting for it to stop going up.

12 hours ago, Bankies Alive said:

Do you have many kids of school age yourself? 

Has there been any comment from the league yet or is everything just crashing on?
The league informed the clubs this afternoon that, until we are told otherwise, the professional exemption still applies to our clubs and the matches continue. The other leagues at tiers 6 and 7 are the same.

7 hours ago, glensmad said:
8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:
Has there been any comment from the league yet or is everything just crashing on?

The league informed the clubs this afternoon that, until we are told otherwise, the professional exemption still applies to our clubs and the matches continue. The other leagues at tiers 6 and 7 are the same.

Thanks for the reply. Good communication but baffling decision.