Done once, never again

1 hour ago, maicoman said:

My brother was over there working as a long distance lorry driver He said a lot of it was like a third world country

Drugs and unemployment have turned some areas into hellholes. Was in Houston for a couple of weeks with work and definitely noticed a difference between have and have nots and also the racial segregation. You got rich black kids with fancy trainers and haircuts etc in the big malls but pretty much everyone, apart from several Scottish guys, on the bus were black or Hispanic.

We were asked by cops wtf we were doing waking about at night as if it was a war zone. Only trouble we got was being named and shamed at a conference as a bunch of jakeys as we were the only ones who went out every night.

:lol:

As I said not sure I’d want to live there unless I had major cash. There isn’t any safety net.

We were asked by cops wtf we were doing waking about at night as if it was a war zone. Only trouble we got was being named and shamed at a conference as a bunch of jakeys as we were the only ones who went out every night.

I once got stopped around Houston by a couple of concerned drivers who were wondering why I was walking somewhere rather than booking an Uber.  One of them had presumed I'd lost my phone, so it's absolutely no wonder that the locals end up massive when you're on American-sized portions of everything.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Can't remember who posted the YT documentary about Point Roberts (it's a type of US enclave below the 49th parallel and its only land border is with Canada...it's a fascinating watch and kudos to whoever posted it) and the border is a road. On the USA side the houses are valued in the $200k's, on the Canadian side they're $900k and upwards.

I posted same on Coronavirus thread.  It is actually an exclave.

Campobello Island in New Brunswick is the reverse.  You can only get to it via Lubec, Maine  (the most easterly point of the USA and the closest point to Africa).

On 24/11/2020 at 11:37, welshbairn said:

Makes you understand the opioid epidemic a bit, combined with epic overprescribing. 

I might have posted this before but lays bare the opioid crisis in rural West Virginia. (This is circa. 8 years old.)

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Been to Orlando twice cause my sister works at Disney and enjoyed it, ridiculously expensive in the actual Disney or Universal places. She knows the places that are reasonably priced and when happy hour is etc so spent most of my drinking time there. There was a big billboard at the end of the street I was staying on that said “Machine Gun America, fun for all the family”.

I didn’t enjoy New York, it was way too busy, felt claustrophobic the whole time I was there. Think it would be an awful place to live. There was one sound guy working in an Irish bar near where we stayed, me and my dad chatted to him for a bit on a Wednesday night when the place was empty. We were the only folk in and said we’d leave if he wanted to close up but he insisted it we stay. He hasn’t been home in 8 years because he out stayed his Visa and wouldn’t get back into the country if he left.

Guest bernardblack

Walked through a suburb of Cape Town after dark.

Now the people of Cape Town are possibly the friendliest people I’ve encountered, but after dark you’ve obviously got to keep your wits about you.

The next bar we were going to was only a 5 minute walk and my shout of getting an Uber was immediately discarded as “it’s pointless getting an Uber for that distance” and “we can cut through this park to save time”

Don’t want to sound like Alan Partridge here but needless to say every journey at night from then on was then an Uber

Guy that works in here used to live in South Africa and I'm not sure it's a place I'd like to live. He was a passenger in a car on his first day or so, being driven back to his residence at night, and this guy walks out into the road waving his hands in distress. The guy driving puts his foot down and nearly runs the c**t over. Shocked, the guy turns and asks why the f**k he just tried to kill that guy and the driver points out it was a trap for an ambush. Guy spent the next 6 months absolutely shitting himself every time he drove at night. 

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Guy that works in here used to live in South Africa and I'm not sure it's a place I'd like to live. He was a passenger in a car on his first day or so, being driven back to his residence at night, and this guy walks out into the road waving his hands in distress. The guy driving puts his foot down and nearly runs the c**t over. Shocked, the guy turns and asks why the f**k he just tried to kill that guy and the driver points out it was a trap for an ambush. Guy spent the next 6 months absolutely shitting himself every time he drove at night. 

A mate of mine works offshore of Nigeria. The company he works for transports them from their (guarded) accommodation block in an armoured vehicle of some sort for much the same reasons after a spate of ambushes and attempted kidnappings in years gone by.

13 hours ago, The Moonster said:

This is why I never done any of those side missions in GTA V. Shady bastirts, the lot of them. 

On 01/12/2020 at 17:26, The Moonster said:

Lived in S,A as a boy with my dads work. We were driving from Durban  thru transvaal valet, cant mind where to. My old boys workmate told him if you hit someone do not stop, carrying to a petrol station and report it. Driving down this miles long straight road in a valley, f**k all for miles bar a wee patch of scrub in the distance. As we got closer could see a young girl, about 10, with two wee toddlers at side of the scrub patch, she stepped out when my dad was about 5m away, he swerved thank f**k and missed her. It was about 88 I was there and it was wild. I'd forgot, until my sis remided me that our house had bars on the windows and doors, and a massive steel barred door at the bottom of the stairs which was padlocked at night when we went up to bed.

A mate who worked offshore wanted to move to South Africa because he'd been to visit and the guy he visited paid no (or little) tax.  The only thing that put him off was all the money he'd have to spend on security and fortifications. He couldn't understand that the two things were linked. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

A mate who worked offshore wanted to move to South Africa because he'd been to visit and the guy he visited paid no (or little) tax.  The only thing that put him off was all the money he'd have to spend on security and fortifications. He couldn't understand that the two things were linked. 

I met a family of four brothers from Joburg a couple of years ago.  Nice guys ran their own business pretty wealthy lived outside the city in a nice area.  They had just moved from there to Atlanta GA because two years earlier one of the brothers was coming home one day, pulled into his driveway, some guy appeared out of a bush as he was getting out the car and shot him. 

Said he didn't even say give me the car or anything just shot him, ran up and pulled him out of the car and drove it away. Guy is now paralysed and after they did his rehabilitation and all that they moved out of the country and say they won't be back.