Arbroath vs Morton

Dreadful. Last two games - QOTS and Morton at home, have to be aiming for at least 4 points from those if we hope to stay up this season. Desperately need goals but who's going to score them? Zero threat up front, Doolan is not the answer and we know Donnelly's limitations as a goal scorer. Must give Ruth some game time. Any Craig Wighton's looking for a loan?

No disrespect to Morton but they were there for the taking today, so frustrating.

On 15/11/2020 at 21:45, lichtie23 said:

The games between these sides last season were some of the worst Iv witnessed, ugly stuff. Hopefully Saturday will be an improvement.

On 16/11/2020 at 08:40, virginton said:

Prepare for disappointment.

Yup.

I've got no problem with us being stuffy and turgid in equal measure here. After a 5-0 shoeing last time the task has been to stop the rot defensively and that has been achieved. Arbroath fans won't be too impressed by what they were up against but the bottom line is that it is really not the job of the away team to provide a great afternoon's entertainment for your tenner subscription. 

Hopefully we can shift the balance back to having more forward quality over work rate by including Nesbitt and McPake in the lineup for home games but we can shitfest 0-0s every away game between now and the end of the season and I'd be fine with it. It's a dung squad playing in front of no fans in a farce setup: just get points on the board to preserve our Championship status and forget about everything else. 

Edited by vikingTON

55 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Dreadful. Last two games - QOTS and Morton at home, have to be aiming for at least 4 points from those if we hope to stay up this season. Desperately need goals but who's going to score them? Zero threat up front, Doolan is not the answer and we know Donnelly's limitations as a goal scorer. Must give Ruth some game time. Any Craig Wighton's looking for a loan?

No disrespect to Morton but they were there for the taking today, so frustrating.

No offense taken, we feel the exact same about you lot, shame our manager had different ideas.

33 minutes ago, madton said:

No offense taken, we feel the exact same about you lot, shame our manager had different ideas.

Yeah, I think ourselves, Morton, QOTS and Alloa are likely to be scrapping for survival and will be looking to beat each other, especially at home.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Positives -
A clean sheet
We are off the bottom
The boys fitness looks great
The camera continues to improve

Negatives-
No cutting edge up front
Bobby’s crossing
JT’s injury
That fucking commentary

In tight stuffy games like that with little space or opportunity I think Swankie would have been a better option to bring on in midfield than Virtanen. He has the creativity and vision to setup an opportunity, he's also more of a goal threat himself.

Well that was a frustrating game and in the end 2 points lost against a very poor Morton team.

Now i am a realist and apart from Alloa we are playing full-time (or mainly full-time) teams every week so in reality we should be in the bottom 2 as if i was a supporter of a full-time team and my team was beaten by a part-time team i would be fuming, also the 2nd season in the Championship was always going to be harder especially with less games.

Got to agree with the Gaffer starting with the same XI who easily defeated Elgin City last week but i was concerned with the lack of crosses getting into the box and also players seeming to be afraid to have a shot at goal especially in the 1st half when we had the wind at our back.

My other concern is the lack of threat from corner kicks, in the last 3 home games we have had 18 corner kicks and never made the opposing keeper make a save from any of them so this is something we should be working on. 

I like Doolan, i think he can take a chance but the worry is he is not getting good service it is either humped up to him in the air with his back to goal or like today he was getting frustrated and was coming out of position looking for the ball which meant we had nobody in the box if a cross did go into the area (like Bobby's great cross in the 2nd half which went right across the goal with no maroon shirt near it).

We are doing okay but like Scotland (and Dick said this in his post match interview) we need to start scoring goals, it was a mystery to me why the Gaffer never brought on both Ruth and Swanks as they are a goal threat or can make chances, Ruth especially has looked very dangerous in his last few sub appearances with his pace, also young Smith looks decent.

Also both Miko (cannot believe i would be saying this) and Hilson are not firing on all cylinders so we have more to come from them which will be a boost to us.

SO positives - even including the Raith game we have not been "hammered" in a game and we have had chances to win every game this season, we are off the bottom as well, we also have a decent squad with no weak links on the bench we just have to get the right combination, just look at today Bobby had 2 decent chances to win the game and we would not discussing this now if we had won.

Also i do not know if people knew how windy it was today as it was pretty strong which was not great conditions for good football.

Changed days when us Red Lichtie fans are disappointed only getting a point from full-time teams like Morton and Queen of the South so upwards and onwards, C'MON THE RED LICHTIES 36-0.

Yeah, I'm really not buying the whole 'plucky part time team' line right now though, when you just tied up the likes of O'Brien on a multi-year contract while full-time Morton and Queen of the South were rummaging around in the bin for a dozen ringers to put a squad together until October. The difference in professional status has very little impact on the park under normal conditions and essentially none at all in this pandemic-shaped campaign. 

Still, it allowed Dick 'dick' Campbell to deflect from his own turgid tactics and failure to put such a poor Morton team to the sword in his post-match interview though so will be worth its weight in gold this evening.

Edited by vikingTON

Apart from that free kick from Colville (deserved a goal), there was absolutely nothing worth watching.  Worst game I've ever seen during my 57 years watching Morton (bit of hyperbole there maybe but you get my drift).

On 21/11/2020 at 18:36, Tattie36 said:

Yeah, I think ourselves, Morton, QOTS and Alloa are likely to be scrapping for survival and will be looking to beat each other, especially at home.

Fully understand why you have Queens one of the relegation candidates, horrendous start to the season. Recent results and, especially performances have suggested that we will be comfortably mid table. This post will almost certainly come back tae haunt me but if ye cannae keep the faith with yer ain wee team, well,what’s the point.

9 hours ago, Jan mosniack said:

Fully understand why you have Queens one of the relegation candidates, horrendous start to the season. Recent results and, especially performances have suggested that we will be comfortably mid table. This post will almost certainly come back tae haunt me but if ye cannae keep the faith with yer ain wee team, well,what’s the point.

Aye your gold star for winning your first league game since about 2017 is in the post.

It was plain to see that Hopkin went into that game not to lose. His aim this season is to stay in the league at all costs.

Alloa sit at the bottom on 1 point, albeit with a game in hand, and Arbroath didn't gain on us. That's how he's viewing the season and applying tactics to suit.

A couple of wins should effectively see off Alloa, then it's all about keeping away from the playoff spot.

Should we somehow manage to put a run together then it will be interesting if we do anything to bolster the squad in January 

Morton's season depends on the team Hopkin selects - if he is going to leave the likes of Nesbitt and McPake out the starting line up, we will struggle for goals as we're not creating many clear chances.  At least Lyon and Colville seem to be getting picked now, which is better than some of the dross we have had on the park up until recently.  Those 2 and Jacobs need to be started every week.  Colville seems to be a bit under the radar but he's got good feet and a ferocious shot - that free kick on Saturday was a cracking effort.

On 23/11/2020 at 09:05, Colkitto said:

It was plain to see that Hopkin went into that game not to lose. His aim this season is to stay in the league at all costs.

Alloa sit at the bottom on 1 point, albeit with a game in hand, and Arbroath didn't gain on us. That's how he's viewing the season and applying tactics to suit.

A couple of wins should effectively see off Alloa, then it's all about keeping away from the playoff spot.

Should we somehow manage to put a run together then it will be interesting if we do anything to bolster the squad in January 

That post is pretty much on the money.

I reckon we’d only make significant additions to the squad inJanuary if we’ve had a few longish-term injuries or if we look at risk  of being in the playoff position at the season end.  If, IF we look fairly safe in January and haven’t lost anyone to injury I think it’ll be a case of as you were and hope that the takeover goes through at the season end.