Clyde v Montrrose

50 minutes ago, bhoonaman said:

This may be "old school" an opinion but what stood out for me in the first half was a lack of conviction in the challenge from Robertson and Shiels - losing all 50-50's and putting us on the back foot. On that point alone I would add Love as an honourable addition to David W's list of standouts. He threw himself into blocks, chased back and had that "it's my ball" attitude that makes the opponent have to work to get anything.

Agree, sheils actually tracked back really well, picked the Montrose players pocket, then lost it because he wasn't strong enough. That said, they are young and this is why they are here, to learn that side of the game.  

Well, after the first half, I didn’t expect that. We were much more competitive in the 2nd half. Syvertsen made a huge difference. He was able to do what most couldn’t in the first half, hold onto the ball and bring others into play. Think he is starting to show the promise he did before his knee injury. Has taken him some time to get back up to speed.

Hopefully Goodwillie has had his wee barren spell, which he does have from time to time. Great hat trick today. Took them all really well. Fingers crossed he goes on a wee run. The ref did his best near the end to give Montrose an equaliser after a bad foul on Goodwillie high up the park. Why he didn’t give a free kick I’ll never know. He booked the Montrose player afterwards, presumably for the foul but he let the play go on when there was never an advantage for Clyde. Montrose nearly equalised from the resulting play. Maybe I read it wrong and he booked the Montrose player for something else but seemed ridiculous to me. 

Defence gets a hard time (myself inc) but centre mid weak..

We have a 19yr and a RB in there, not comfy building from the back maybe why Mitchell taking free kicks in the middle of our half after 20mins, Very stoke city or perhaps fine in last 15 with an Andy Smith/Harty combo fine..

Cunnigham. Love wide. Strong spine of Mitchell. Lang & Goodie but were playin 11s no 5s..

Montrose looked comfortable 1st half team with lot of nice football & we did look bottom 3 material, Slowly getting better but defo something missing...

Nicoll will help in Cup at Huntly. We need an experianced centre mid to player every game, control it & not panic. Other players will benefit from that aswell..

Yer Mithers Pride[emoji1267]

Well that result has been coming .. we’ve been having to score 3 to win since the season started as we’re defending like amateurs. Both goals conceded against Peterhead were mistakes ... as were the 2 against Forfar and 2 out of 3 against Falkirk. All 3 today were the result of schoolboy errors .. albeit Goodwillie’s finish for the 3rd was class. Can only assume that 3 of our centre halves were injured and Dillon only half fit .. it’s the only explanation for starting Steeves and Yano in the middle. We have a lot of attacking and tidy footballers in the midfield but are lacking a “destroyer” to break up play when required .. second and third goals were classic examples that. That said, we play some lovely stuff at times and really should’ve got something out of today. Just need to get the balance right. Fingers crossed we get the regular back 4/5 on the park soon.

15 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

Well that result has been coming .. we’ve been having to score 3 to win since the season started as we’re defending like amateurs. Both goals conceded against Peterhead were mistakes ... as were the 2 against Forfar and 2 out of 3 against Falkirk. All 3 today were the result of schoolboy errors .. albeit Goodwillie’s finish for the 3rd was class. Can only assume that 3 of our centre halves were injured and Dillon only half fit .. it’s the only explanation for starting Steeves and Yano in the middle. We have a lot of attacking and tidy footballers in the midfield but are lacking a “destroyer” to break up play when required .. second and third goals were classic examples that. That said, we play some lovely stuff at times and really should’ve got something out of today. Just need to get the balance right. Fingers crossed we get the regular back 4/5 on the park soon.

I thought your team played some lovely football at times. You were miles better than Clyde for most of the game. I’d be surprised if you weren’t challenging for a play off spot. 
The first Clyde goal was clearly a shocker from a Montrose point of view and the second was a header that Goodwillie should never have won, although he’s surprisingly good in the air for a guy that isn’t very tall. Third was a great counter attack and finish when you were pushing forward. Montrose’s second goal was excellent. Great build up play and a cool finish. 
Petrie has done a great job at Montrose. 

Can't quite believe we didn't take anything from the game. Sorry Clyde fans but I would say we were much the better team throughout the whole 90 mins. You are very lucky you have a top quality striker who is very clinical. Montrose deserved a draw at least from that performance. We created lots of chances and should have scored quite a few more than we did.
We desperately need our normal defence back and when we do I would be confident we would win most games.

16 minutes ago, GableEnder21 said:

Can't quite believe we didn't take anything from the game. Sorry Clyde fans but I would say we were much the better team throughout the whole 90 mins. You are very lucky you have a top quality striker who is very clinical. Montrose deserved a draw at least from that performance. We created lots of chances and should have scored quite a few more than we did.
We desperately need our normal defence back and when we do I would be confident we would win most games.

Wouldn’t argue with most of that. You should not have lost that game. And yes, we are very lucky to have a top class striker. He is excellent and his attitude and commitment has always been top class.

I’m not sure though that you’d win most games when you get your normal defence back. More games maybe, most games perhaps not. 

Said this earlier in a group chat, Montrose are one of the better teams in this league and their manager I have no idea why he is still there, especially when down the road in Dundee they still have that waster McPake. 

Petrie easily one of the best managers in the league. He's built a cracking wee unit up at the Mo and has them playing well. 

With all that, delighted we got the 3 points but that was all down to having the best striker outside the top league. 

24 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Said this earlier in a group chat, Montrose are one of the better teams in this league and their manager I have no idea why he is still there, especially when down the road in Dundee they still have that waster McPake. 

Petrie easily one of the best managers in the league. He's built a cracking wee unit up at the Mo and has them playing well. 

With all that, delighted we got the 3 points but that was all down to having the best striker outside the top league. 

Totally agree. They play the best football in the league by a mile but it’s a common theme that they’re unlucky in defeat. Would be interesting to see what he could do with a full time side.

Edited by wee_bairn

12 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Think it's been covered before, but Petrie seems happy with the FT day job/PT management balance and it'll take something fairly lucrative to prize him away. Going into the looming mini-omnishambles at Dens doesn't strike me as that gig, even though it's on his doorstep.

We desperately need to get the first choice CB pairing sorted judging on today. Playing Yano at the moment is like giving teams a 1/2 goal start. Rest of the team looks fine, and results should come easier soon.

PS - I don't know if it's just me, but really struggling to get my head into this season full stop - it's not that I care less about the team, but the physical distance from it is just crushingly unfair, no matter how understandable it is.

A much needed 3 points against what can only be described as an excellent Montrose side.  Some cracking players, not least Mochrie, MacLean (who caused Tom Lang a lot of hard work) and Cochrane.  Despite the 5 0 tanking by Airdrie two weeks ago, I think that Montrose are the best opposition that we have faced so far (Peterhead come a close second).  Towards the end of the first half, I would have settled for a draw.  Montrose looked way better than us.  But it is amazing how different Goodwillie when he gets service?

2 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:

Can’t disagree with any of that. 

Edited by Fast_Action

Didn't see the game yesterday but wasn't confident at all when I heard Aidan Quinn,Kerr waddell and Dillion where all out all your main centre half out not a good start.Saying that a heard we played quite well,but we are conceding far too many goals.Give DG half a sniff and it's a goal as we found out yesterday.....We move on though.

As for Stewart Petrie very lucky to have at the club best Manager we have had for years and seems committed to the club.A think the time will come hopefully not anytime soon he will go into full time management with a club,my guess would be Dunfermilne at some point hopefully years down the line.

Must admit the job Petrie's done at Montrose is remarkable. Don't think it was that long ago they faced a relegation playoff out L2, and the way he's turned them round playing that style of football with presumably limited resources can't have gone unnoticed elsewhere

Agree with earlier comment, he'd want to avoid Dundee like the plague. There's something wrong with that club and has been for a very long time.  Think you'll be alright though, can't see any obvious jobs coming up that would tempt him

Much needed 3 points for us and despite a poor run, the nature of this league means we're just 1 point off 4th.  That said, early signs of a likely top and bottom 5 taking shape.  We'll be OK, will still be interesting to see what difference, if any, the young lad we have on loan from Rangers makes when back from injury

A Rankin type midfielder would be ideal, but you need to find one that's also available otherwise it's just talk.

Mixed feelings over the game. Absolutely delighted to get a win but still angry at about 80% of the performance.
As bad as the defence is, the main problem is there is no one infront of them to help.
Montrose are definitely the best footballing team I've seen this season. They play some really easy on the eye stuff, Petrie has done an amazing job there.
Count ourselves lucky DGW was up for it and hopefully this puts some confidence into the team to push on and pick up points but we for the love of god need to spend the entire training sessions on defending

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

Had a look to see how Cochrane is getting on and seen two different sites have him in yesterday's lineup as a centre half. I assume that's bollocks?

Aye they've got that wrong. Was the deepest of the midfielders. Looks miles ahead of this level although he did get caught in possesion for one of our goals. 

7 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Aye they've got that wrong. Was the deepest of the midfielders. Looks miles ahead of this level although he did get caught in possesion for one of our goals. 

I'm a big fan of him, I think some Hearts fans forget he's so young. Hopefully gets a good run of games, performs well and comes back to challenge.