Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Yeh he's doing brilliantly for Sheffield Utd. Phenomenal strike rate for a forward emoji848.png

Again, that's not what Sheffield Utd ask McBurnie to do. They're not asking him to be a guy that gets on the end of things and scores a goal every two or three games. Though it's worth noting he was their joint top scorer last season with six goals. The fact their top scorer scored a total of six goals and they did pretty well through the course of the season tells you there's something unconventional about them.

8 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Realistically I'm not a big fan of any of our options after Dykes.  Need to unearth another, Hornby possible but he needs a while and lots of games.  Should definitely go after Che Adams again.  Nisbett could be worth a punt, got the right attributes.  McBurnie will come good but can't rely on him just now.

mentioned the other day, a few have said we shouldnt go back to him after he turned us down but if he improves us we should get him, he's strong and reasonably quick and very hard working, can get a few goals too, its a no brainer for me.

Just now, DanMc99 said:

mentioned the other day, a few have said we shouldnt go back to him after he turned us down but if he improves us we should get him, he's strong and reasonably quick and very hard working, can get a few goals too, its a no brainer for me.

Totally, I don't care that he turned us down three years ago, we're a better side now with a massive carrot to offer, plus he maybe now realises he's unlikely to get many caps for England if any.

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Totally, I don't care that he turned us down three years ago, we're a better side now with a massive carrot to offer, plus he maybe now realises he's unlikely to get many caps for England if any.

if i was clarke , i'd be on the phone to him, especially if griffiths cant get fit.

Again, that's not what Sheffield Utd ask McBurnie to do. They're not asking him to be a guy that gets on the end of things and scores a goal every two or three games. Though it's worth noting he was their joint top scorer last season with six goals. The fact their top scorer scored a total of six goals and they did pretty well through the course of the season tells you there's something unconventional about them.
How many goals and assists does he have this season?

14 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
28 minutes ago, G51 said:

How many goals and assists does he have this season?

0. Sheffield Utd haven't been good this season. Their leader in goals and assists has a total of two (Berge/McGoldrick) so it's not exactly an enormous drop off.

I beg you: stop trying to measure McBurnie's contribution on the basis of goals and assists. It's like trying to measure the volume of water using a thermometer.

Edited by G51

Was pretty pished off last night and in the light off day, like most on here, come to the conclusion that we are a couple of strikers away from being a pretty decent side.I can't see any easy answers to that.

Clarke's doing a good job with what he has but we should still be beating Israel.

On a brighter note for you guys i am offski for the moment- but will be back on P&B for our next games 

Good luck boys and take care...over and out.

As much as the last couple of results have scunnered me, we probably got what we deserved from this group in all honesty.

In any qualifying campaign, you more or less need to average about four points per opponent, so 12 points would have taken us up from this one.

As soon as we dropped two points at home to Israel though, you’re suddenly needing to make them up elsewhere, and for a team that generally doesn’t win away from home, winning two out of three was always going to be an uphill struggle.

We rode our luck in some of our own games, but we couldn’t call in any favours from Slovakia or Israel against the Czechs, so fair play to them, they deserved to win the group.

As much as the two 1-0 defeats felt wearily familiar, you could easily argue, depending on whether or not you’re a glass half full kinda person, that there’s a glimmer of hope around them.

For a long, long time now, we’ve lost away games because we’ve been a clear second best, getting penned in for long spells and losing pretty convincingly to teams that aren’t any great shakes themselves.

Neither of those two games followed that pattern though, in fact, if we’d had an actual goal scorer in the side, I suspect we’d have taken three or four points from the two. Finding that goal scorer is easier said than done though.

That said, who’d have thought the solution to the central defence issue would be to play fewer of them, so maybe Clarke has an unorthodox solution to the issue up front as well?
Completely agree about these three away games feeling different, although the Israel one was definitely more similar to some of the shite we've seen in the past.

There are clearly good things and clearly still things that need worked on - we struggled for the former two months ago (and 13 months ago) and the latter seemed pointless.

0. Sheffield Utd haven't been good this season. Their leader in goals and assists has a total of two (Berge/McGoldrick) so it's not exactly an enormous drop off.
I beg you: stop trying to measure McBurnie's contribution on the basis of goals and assists. It's like trying to measure the volume of water using a thermometer.
But he's a forward, clearly I'm missing something here. No goals or no assists as we approach mid season, hardly inspiring stuff.

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
20 minutes ago, G51 said:

But he's a forward, clearly I'm missing something here. No goals or no assists as we approach mid season, hardly inspiring stuff.

I can't be fucked giving my thoughts on this again, so go ahead and re-read the last few pages. I covered my view on it there.

As I said on another thread Clarke basically found himself in the same position as Scott Gemmill for the u21s and many previous Scotland managers. Needing to take three points from a team in the final fixture who he had previously failed to beat already in the group. Brown versus Belgium, McLeish versus Italy, Burley vs Holland, Levein versus Spain, Strachan versus Slovenia. We probably only got to that point because of the Czech Covid cases.

The reason we are going to the  Euros is because McLeish played some attacking football and got 3 wins in the group scoring 10 goals. Clarke's tactics got us two draws which the players converted to wins with great penalties but our attacking play is utter pish and not something that Clarke is likely to improve.

26 minutes ago, Detournement said:

As I said on another thread Clarke basically found himself in the same position as Scott Gemmill for the u21s and many previous Scotland managers. Needing to take three points from a team in the final fixture who he had previously failed to beat already in the group. Brown versus Belgium, McLeish versus Italy, Burley vs Holland, Levein versus Spain, Strachan versus Slovenia. We probably only got to that point because of the Czech Covid cases.

The reason we are going to the  Euros is because McLeish played some attacking football and got 3 wins in the group scoring 10 goals. Clarke's tactics got us two draws which the players converted to wins with great penalties but our attacking play is utter pish and not something that Clarke is likely to improve.

You want to try that again? 

We beat Slovenia at home in that group before drawing over there in the final fixture. 

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

You want to try that again? 

We beat Slovenia at home in that group before drawing over there in the final fixture. 

Fair enough but it was still the classic need 3 points in the final match and fail miserably scenario that is the most common outcome for our qualification efforts.