Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
1 hour ago, coprolite said:
Well that'll  learn us for getting optimistic. 

Every reason to be optimistic. We're in the Euros and have the right manager in place. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that...

I agree with you, long term. 

But i was optimistic that we were going to win our group. 

Not too disappointed we didn't though, we're definitely getting better 

There is no question that Clarke has done some great work to firstly re-create a culture where his players desperately want to play for us, has got genuine competition for places, and has got us to a position where we are on the front foot and not sitting deep trying to secure a 0-0. The stats in the last two games particularly last night show that we dominated long spells of these games which is something we have rarely done for ages.

The real disappointment comes because we are still Scotland doing what Scotland do best - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and throwing away an almost unassailable group winning position. Hugely frustrating but the recent onfield performances are miles better than we have seen in previous campaigns.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

There is no question that Clarke has done some great work to firstly re-create a culture where his players desperately want to play for us, has got genuine competition for places, and has got us to a position where we are on the front foot and not sitting deep trying to secure a 0-0. The stats in the last two games particularly last night show that we dominated long spells of these games which is something we have rarely done for ages.

The real disappointment comes because we are still Scotland doing what Scotland do best - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and throwing away an almost unassailable group winning position. Hugely frustrating but the recent onfield performances are miles better than we have seen in previous campaigns.

Clarke can do nothing more than he is doing

The decision making of the players in the final third is still pathetic

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

I agree with you, long term. 

But i was optimistic that we were going to win our group. 

Not too disappointed we didn't though, we're definitely getting better 

We are

But we need to get better again before next summer

We need to convert 38 crosses (and multiple other chances) in a game into at least a single goal

17 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

McLeish got hounded for losing to Israel. I'll wait and see if the same happens to Clarke emoji848.pngemoji636.png

Clarke has credit in the bank now because he’s helped us qualify for the Euros. That performance against Serbia was a pretty good Scotland away performance.

Going on the highlights, the performance in Slovakia was pretty good too, we just couldn’t score.

For me, last night was a poor performance and we struggled. Although maybe when I watch the highlights back I’ll change my tune.

When Fraser and Dykes were in the team we looked dangerous. While Christie is a good player, for me he’s not as effective. Griffiths is a good player but he doesn’t look fit. Are the likes of McBurnie, Burke and Shankland good enough for international football? I would rather we waited until they are at least playing well for their clubs again before calling them up. I think Clarke is in the same boat as the rest of us in having to wait until better players appear on the scene.

In summary, good first XI but after that it’s not good enough, and if we have to play 3 games in a week that kills us.

Edited by Scary Bear

Was it ever established if McLeish was indeed drunk during live interviews or was it something medical?  I remember there was a debate on here about it.

He appeared on Goals on Sunday a few months before he was re-hired as Scotland boss and he was slurring his words.  And in a few press conferences as Scotland boss he seemed half a step slow when speaking.