Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

I think it needs to be recognised that we actually did not win any of the three fixtures over the last week, and only managed the one goal.
So we are not exactly in a great place when it comes to finishing despite dominating in all games at various points.
In saying that anyone calling for Clarke’s head is a prize buffoon. We have moved forward significantly and are starting to look like a pressing team. We just need to find that striker to play off Dykes and we could be a really decent side....

Trying my best to look at the positives but that certainly does hurt.
Compared to our last game in Israel, that was night and day. We were like deer in the headlights that night and could have shipped 4 or 5. Tonight wasn't perfect but it was clear progress.
Having said that the thought of McTominay coming into our back 3 in four months after playing exclusively in midfield for Man Utd is a bit worrying though. Clarke seems set on having him in there just now.
A lot can happen in four months. The good news is we've got a system which allows us to "plug and play" to a certain extent.

47 minutes ago, ArtemisClydeFrog said:

Undoubtedly need more from Robertson too. Reminded me of Greg Taylor at Celtic tonight with how passive he was in attack. Not ideal for the formation when your wing backs can't beat a man. 

I was thinking this compared to Tierney on Sunday who was excellent and spent a lot of the game driving forward and running at and beating the Slovakia full back, whereas Robertson was very passive tonight, and not for the first time of late. Maybe Tierney is the better LWB as opposed to LB, but you need your best players in the team I suppose.

If you think back to Dailly in 98 and Hutton in 2007, an athletic full back who goes forward and commits people is a rare attacking weapon. Unfortunately Dailly had no left foot so it tended to fizzle out, but Hutton was brilliant in the 2007 campaign.

I thought we let Israel play through us and the press misfired a bit - but maybe they are a half decent team after all. MacGregor and Jack seemed a bit flat compared to Thursday and we kept taking the wrong decision in the final third. Still, we are obviously improving and you’d have taken this a week ago.

Our record in our previous 8 competitive games....all against pretty mediocre teams:

Won 3 by the odd goal here or there...

Lost 2 by the odd goal here or there...

Drawn 3

Take away the lucky breaks in the penalty shootouts and it's no a great record is it.

We have scored 6 goals in total in those 8 games, so it easy to see the problem area. We are still a creative number 10 and a scoring striker away from being anywhere near decent. Cannae just magic them unfortunately.

Time to rein in any expectations. We are still no where near good enough to consistently compete with the big teams.

Next summer is a bonus but another round in the diddy league is probably right and about our level. 

Avoid any embarrassments in the Euro finals and a good solid league B showing meaning promotion next time round, is a realistic and achievable expectation for us.

Thinking about this, I'm  not that down.

If you'd told me mid McLeish second reign we'd be in the Euros I'd have laughed at you.

Take it as it comes, Clarke is still doing work, the squad is coming together, we're way ahead of where we were four year ago (and basically back where we were in the 6-1 pumping aff Holland).

Just now, roman_bairn said:

I think it needs to be recognised that we actually did not win any of the three fixtures over the last week, and only managed the one goal.
So we are not exactly in a great place when it comes to finishing despite dominating in all games at various points.
In saying that anyone calling for Clarke’s head is a prize buffoon. We have moved forward significantly and are starting to look like a pressing team. We just need to find that striker to play off Dykes and we could be a really decent side....

The one who really stood out in that position was fraser, had he been playing off dykes in the last 3 games I think it would have improved us.

Obviously Christie scored that great goal and did well overall, id still try fraser there first if everyone was available.

Our record in our previous 8 competitive games....all against pretty mediocre teams:
Won 3 by the odd goal here or there...
Lost 2 by the odd goal here or there...
Drawn 3
Take away the lucky breaks in the penalty shootouts and it's no a great record is it.
We have scored 6 goals in total in those 8 games, so it easy to see the problem area. We are still a creative number 10 and a scoring striker away from being anywhere near decent. Cannae just magic them unfortunately.
Time to rein in any expectations. We are still no where near good enough to consistently compete with the big teams.
Next summer is a bonus but another round in the diddy league is probably right and about our level. 
Avoid any embarrassments in the Euro finals and a good solid league B showing meaning promotion next time round, is a realistic and achievable expectation for us.

Did anyone really think we could now "compete regularly with the big teams"?
The worst we can do now is visit the Euros and get papped out at the groups, and have another shot at group B - that's a pretty good worst case, and we have the perfect manager for working out how to shoot higher than that.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

The worst we can do now is visit the Euros and get papped out at the groups, and have another shot at group B - that's a pretty good worst case, and we have the perfect manager for working out how to shoot higher than that.

Personally I'd prefer Jurgen Klopp, but I know what you mean.

One win, probably against Czech Rep., and we would probably qualify as one of the best 3rd place finishers....

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

If we had been promoted to league A, we would have had to compete with the big teams or it could have been a pretty soul destroying and confidence sapping series of games.

We are not at that level yet....so all in all maybe for the best.

As I said before, our aim should be to put on a decent show at the Euros by avoiding any major pumpings and keep building through the next series of league B games.

We are a couple of players away from being decent. Not too far away imho.

Just now, Andrew Driver said:

Israel haven't lost any of the nations league matches by more than 1 goal.   
They are our equal.  They've 3 players that would walk into our team. 

Why are saying this?   

Bitton, zahavi, dabbur, solomon, dasa.

Probably some spelling mistakes there, but I'd take all of them in our team.

1 minute ago, Andrew Driver said:

Yet there's members of the forum who thing we're better.  They are a top 40 in the world side, as are we.  Slovakia are clearly worse.  

Israel to me are a nasty, horrible wee team.

The kind of team I want us to be for "bigger" teams.