Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

We have 3 World Cup qualifiers in March, don’t we? I wouldn’t be experimenting with a plan B in those, unless it’s against shite like Moldova or San Marino.

He does need to work out something different, and his subs rarely make a huge difference. I do think he was hamstrung by Fraser being out. Having either him or Christie as a creative option on the bench could have been huge.

It’s hardly an experiment... and I’d have thought that actually scoring goals in a WC qualifier might be pretty handy.

Fair enough if we’re away to a Germany, but otherwise we need to push things on and play to our strengths.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We absolutely did not completely outplay them. They had two very good chances, other than the goal, that they could have scored from, especially the chance inside the box that Marshall saved.

Oh they had two chances? f**k me, my bad. Israel must have been shit hot while I wasn't looking!

Disappointed and frustrated that we have blown two very good chances to win the group but overall, if you had offered me the Euros and a comfortable 2nd in the Nations League group back in August, I'd have bitten your hand off.

The harsh lessons of the last two games are essentially poor final balls, poor finishing and overall just making incorrect decisions in the final third.

However, once again the performance was far, far better than the previous two against the same opponent so that is a positive going into March.

Presently, the only change I can see is Ryan Fraser coming in for either Ryan Christie or John McGinn as you get a bit more consistent end output from Fraser.

However you can see what Steve Clarke is bedding in and he took us to a tournament. So the moon howlers on Twitter just need to wise up a bit.

Roll on 7th December for the World Cup draw.

2 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

correct.......but I must confess...solid Defender as he is....I dont think Stephen O'Donnel cuts the mustard.Sorry.

Surprised you say that tbh, I thought that O’Donnell was decent over the last couple of games he’s played and definitely earned his place. He’s probably the least of our worries.

27 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

how the f**k is he totally inept man???? 

It's obvious that thus far he's been a lucky manager rather than a good manager for Scotland. If he'd lost either penalty shoot out he'd be under serious pressure right now. 

He's not the answer. 

We can still make the WC playoffs by finishing 2nd in our group. There are a few sides in pot 2 we could just about compete with.

But those games aren't the issue. It's games like tonight we always struggle with. We're better than them, but just not by enough consistently to take the required 18 points off of teams in pots 4-6.

I think the performances in the three games this week were all pretty similar to each other, and our general play from back to middle has improved a lot since September. The difference between the last two games and the Serbia game was that we conceded the first goal, and our lack of cutting edge was exposed.

My concern before the game was that our two attacking midfielders, McGinn and Christie, were two of the the only players to have started both the previous games. If they weren't on form (and they weren't) then we didn't have any reasonable alternatives (Armstrong/Fraser/Forrest) to call on and our attack was always going to suffer.  With any luck, that won't be the case by the time the Euros come around.

Another game of some decent chances, all missed and a defeat. 
We didnt look to good when Israel put together bursts of quick pass and movement play. They could have had a 2nd goal as much as we might have nicked one.
The 3 games this 7 days has drawn a line of where we are...a decent well organised team that can nick a goal...or lose by a goal and that's about it really. 

Ala ROI under Martin O'Neill and Trapatoni then

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

We're obviously short of goals up front but our 24 midfielders all need to start chipping in as well. Disappointed with their return in this group.

Tell the truth Gigi....did you honestly expect to see Oli Burke gettin a run oot tonight?...I certainly didnt.

Anyone wanting the manager sacked is just a ridiculous person.

But Clarke needs to improve. He very nearly fucked it on Friday by taking off all the front 3. Who were doing a great job of keeping us high up the pitch.

Tonight the changes were too late and in the end ineffective.

He's to tied to the 5 at the back, we've had some good results with it. Bit hes got to be more flexible. I get the feeling its like the craig brown era. Where we would play 5 at the back at home against san Marino.

That all being said, overall he's doing a good job. The last 2 performances haven't been ideal. But they've not been terrible either.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Anyone wanting the manager sacked is just a ridiculous person.

But Clarke needs to improve. He very nearly fucked it on Friday by taking off all the front 3. Who were doing a great job of keeping us high up the pitch.

Tonight the changes were too late and in the end ineffective.

He's to tied to the 5 at the back, we've had some good results with it. Bit hes got to be more flexible. I get the feeling its like the craig brown era. Where we would play 5 at the back at home against san Marino.

That all being said, overall he's doing a good job. The last 2 performances haven't been ideal. But they've not been terrible either.

No one is asking for Stevie Clarke's head....dont be absurd.

Ah well. The last couple of games have taken the wind out our sails. A real opportunity missed.

We’ve had a few promising performances/results against the Czechs, Slovakia and Serbia. Hopefully we can get back to those performances/results for the WC qualifiers next year.