Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

The rules for the next natins league haven't been announced but in the previous one playoff spots went to group winners. If group winners were already in the Euros then the spot went to next best ranked team. Being in League A guarantees being ranked top 16.
Re the rule changes, they may well change future seeding to be based off the placements, it has been rumoured for a while.

In that case, we'd really be looking to consistently finish in the top 20 placements so it would be a case of either competing in the top division or winning the second tier group.

I think it's really important we take this competition seriously because of that and the potential to get our coefficient moving in the right direction. We've had many poor years but the seeding does make the cycle much much harder to break out of whilst others ride off of short periods of success for years.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Very disappointing given the doors a victory could've opened.

No possible playoff on standby for WC 2022 qualifying. Got to win next Nations League to have playoff standby for Euro 2024 qualifying - promotion would've almost guaranteed it.

Got to win next NL to make Pot 2 for Euro 2024 qualifying - promotion guaranteed it and put Pot 1 in reach.

Division A would have also meant improved TV £/ticket sales/etc.

Maybe we could host Euro 2024?

5 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

I've never seen a defender lying on the deck to stop the daisy cutter before.  

Don't watch much late night Europa League highlights then I take it?  I'm talking Lokomotiv Plovdiv v FK Carrier-bag style here. It's the hipsters' choice, all the kool kids are doing it.

It's disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. We can compete in League B again next time round, hopefully without Israel, and with this squad having more games and tournament experience under our belt.

I don't think having those games in the same break as the playoff final helped, but I can't complain as I don't think we'd have won away in Norway or Serbia back in March.

We might not win the section to guarantee a playoff spot, but we may still manage to sneak into the League A playoff path if we can take 12 points.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

I know there will be the usual overreaction, as there is every international game, but the performance wasn’t really an issue there IMO. We played well enough to win that, we just didn’t get the breaks. 

Slightly worried that our front three pressed inconsistently and exposed our midfield too often. And leaving McTominay to defend 1 on 1 is suboptimal.

Let’s hope that Clarke recognises that some of the deadwood in the squad needs cleared out - Burke & Griffiths aren’t capable of playing international football at the minute.

Dykes had a poor game overall tonight. Nothing stuck with him the way it normally does. Christie also kept making the wrong decision and McGinn just looked knackered. Armstrong and Fraser should be first choice there with Dykes.

Positives are O’Donnell and McGregor looked good, and Jack and Gallagher were fine. 

Important to remember this team is still developing and it’ll take time for things to gel. Players are still learning how to play in the system and with each other.

the finishing was my main concern, gallagher from 9 yards out has to do better, griffiths scuffs one from the same distance, o'donnell had 2 decent chances, and we had a few where the final ball killed us. the performances were not too bad

No possible playoff on standby for WC 2022 qualifying. Got to win next Nations League to have playoff standby for Euro 2024 qualifying - promotion would've almost guaranteed it.

Got to win next NL to make Pot 2 for Euro 2024 qualifying - promotion guaranteed it and put Pot 1 in reach.

Has the next euro draw been confirmed to be determined from nations league seeding already?

I would like to see them get a chance, we really have to look at other options, our lack of goal scoring is always going to be a problem if we don’t.

Gallagher and O’Donnell kind of show that you can be decent for the team even if you aren’t at a big club. I certainly think if they are both scoring then I’d like to see them in the next games which I think are in March.
It's our continued obsession of playing players because of which club they are at instead of playing players on form to do a job.

If McBurnie was at Dundee United or Hibs he wouldn't get near a third string Scottish team.

Although we have lost the last two games, i actually think we have played not too bad. We perhaps lack a bit of a cutting edge but marciano made a few good saves tonight. Obviously managed to qualify for the euros and would have been nice to win the league. The high of qualifyijg for the euros was probably a hinderance for the following two games.

I am feeling fairly positive though

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

Re the rule changes, they may well change future seeding to be based off the placements, it has been rumoured for a while.

In that case, we'd really be looking to consistently finish in the top 20 placements so it would be a case of either competing in the top division or winning the second tier group.

I think it's really important we take this competition seriously because of that and the potential to get our coefficient moving in the right direction. We've had many poor years but the seeding does make the cycle much much harder to break out of whilst others ride off of short periods of success for years.

This.

Just now, DanMc99 said:

the finishing was my main concern, gallagher from 9 yards out has to do better, griffiths scuffs one from the same distance, o'donnell had 2 decent chances, and we had a few where the final ball killed us. the performances were not too bad

But finishing often just comes down to luck. So it’s hard to criticise a team or manager for that.

4 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

How are the WC qualifier seedings looking after this week? Can we draw Israel again?

We sure can! 

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

2 away games in a row where we have had equal possession if not more and more shots on and off target and NADA to show for it. 

We ran out of luck for sure. We carried a fair bit v Israel and Czech at home and to an extent Serbia away. 

Very disappointing to blow a 4 point lead with two games to go.

Clarke has done well but he is not a miracle worker. We had chances to score tonight and failed yet again. 

Dykes is decent but he is not going to b prolific. 

You would take Zahavi every day of the week. 

Israel are ranked in 80+ but I cannot see why. They have now won only 3 games in 13. 2 against us as it happens. sick of the sight of them to be honest. 

Luck wasn't the issue tonight. Poor play in the final 3rd was.

I know there will be the usual overreaction, as there is every international game, but the performance wasn’t really an issue there IMO. We played well enough to win that, we just didn’t get the breaks. 

Slightly worried that our front three pressed inconsistently and exposed our midfield too often. And leaving McTominay to defend 1 on 1 is suboptimal.
Let’s hope that Clarke recognises that some of the deadwood in the squad needs cleared out - Burke & Griffiths aren’t capable of playing international football at the minute.
Dykes had a poor game overall tonight. Nothing stuck with him the way it normally does. Christie also kept making the wrong decision and McGinn just looked knackered. Armstrong and Fraser should be first choice there with Dykes.
Positives are O’Donnell and McGregor looked good, and Jack and Gallagher were fine. 

Important to remember this team is still developing and it’ll take time for things to gel. Players are still learning how to play in the system and with each other.
I think Dykes is worth persisting with but he needs someone up beside him to feed off him.